Fork Seals and warranty - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fork Seals and warranty

it looks like there is a slight leak on the right fork tube. It isn't too sloppy but had a lot of brake dust and blackness when inspected tonight after Sunday's 250 mile ride.

I can wipe it clean and then flex the front suspension and run my finger along it and get a nice thin layer of wet...but not a thing on the left side, that is completely dry.

I've read the many threads about 35mm film etc but didn't see anything definite about warranty. It's a 09 with 11k miles but has the extended good times plan until next year. It is not abused but regular road riding. Is this traditionally something covered? Kawasaki site wasn't clear. It's not gushing etc but it is damp, again only the right side.

looking for a bit of guidance and the best course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Warranty coverage depends on your Kawasaki dealer... You could ask them, or show them the leak if possible.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Warranty coverage depends on your Kawasaki dealer... You could ask them, or show them the leak if possible.
thx for the reply. you do tend to fill many gaps here. i was thinking that, however the leak isn't a pronounced leak, it's really, at this point pretty minor, but a leak is a leak. No puddle etc but you do get the film if you wipe it and then squish the fork a few times and run your finger along it....i guess i was hoping for some hope or false hope or general warranty guidelines that tend to cover certain things.

i will be calling tomorrow and will report back. Any other ideas / insights is welcomed before the call.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Try running the 35mm film around the seal - probably that'll fix it, and take about 2 minutes.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Try running the 35mm film around the seal - probably that'll fix it, and take about 2 minutes.
really.....what the hell, why not, it's only 112f these days, another 10 minutes in the garage won't do me in. i could only hope it'll be that simple,film.

i'll run to the corner and buy some film...if one still can. Clearly this isn't a critical immediate need to be fixed deal. Wish i were in Canadia now, when do you come back, october?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

i found some old negatives. Do i just slide a piece up around the dust cover or do i pull down the dust cover and slide it around some sort of upper / inner seal?

Can anyone provide a bit more detail?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:13 PM

This might help....

http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-fa...ork-seals.html

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM

That sounds like a wear item to me and I'd be surprised if it were covered.
Maybe not an issue though- neat trick with DIY Seal-mate! Thanks for posting that Tig.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

wear item...roll of the dice. i screwed around with the negative...mixed results...i didn't want to pry up the primary dust cover and mess it up or show signs of "prying" or whatever on the cover, on the chance it would've been covered but then denied b/c i fcked with it. May not have done it right w/o moving that initial dust boot, but for a while no wetness, then a touch of wetness, etc.

Dealers: some absolutely not, some maybe, one "oh hell yeah" covered, and we like to do the other side too...despite the warranty good till next May, if some dealer is "oh hell yeah covered" i may have to find the time to let them screw with it before they forget/change their mind.

it's too hot to ride at this point, so I'm laying low, riding at 5am etc. I'll let you guys know.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 PM

You would have to pop the dust seal down to access the oil seal. I pry it down without damaging it once in a while to clean it, and to add grease in the dust seal to capture any dust and to protect the oil seal.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 PM

The touch of wetness would be oil collected behind the dust seal, and not because it was getting aroused.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

dealer warranted them, did both sides!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 PM

That's great. You got a fork fluid replacement as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

indeed on the fluid. These guys were LEGIT. I explained what was up, the serv mgr said he'd call me right back. Called back and said "no problem when do you want to come in"

when i got there he asked, is one leaking or both...? i was like one is leaking "alot more" than the other (which really wasn't at all the case, only one was leaking) lots of implied's on this statement .... he said we hell, we better do both since they are both "leaking"

why argue?

plus the tech were all riders and they were all pretty fun to talk to...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Yeah, you may as well have both forks serviced, cleaned, and fluid replaced at the same time while they're at it... Any idea exactly what fork fluid they put in?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

the paper work said 10w 1L, i'm assuming kawasaki spec'ed flavor

i asked about upgraded / other / various options and after talking they stated oem spec would be best but i could change if so inclined as they had other stuff. i just stuck with what they suggested, not knowing otherwise and not having researched it prior.

Last edited by broham; 07-07-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post
the paper work said 10w 1L, i'm assuming kawasaki spec'ed flavor

i asked about upgraded / other / various options and after talking they stated oem spec would be best but i could change if so inclined as they had other stuff. i just stuck with what they suggested, not knowing otherwise and not having researched it prior.
Wow a good stealership?? What region are you in??

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM

what about trying this ??
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0356/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in