Running hot ?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Running hot ??

Its been abnormally hot for June ... that said it seems like the Versys is running VERY hot... the wife commutes on it daily and asked me to take it out and see if I thought it was running too hot.

I did indeed notice what seemed like excessive heat coming from the engine. I know that warmer temps can make the bike seem to run hotter.. but it did seem excessive. No light came on and I checked the coolant and level was good.

I dont recall this being an issue last summer...

Anyone living in a warmer climate notice that the Versys generates alot of heat is summer months ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM

"Anyone living in a warmer climate notice that the Versys generates alot of heat is summer months ???"

Oh yeah, and I always miss it come winter...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hp/t-4970.html

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
MTS

Heck ya! The V will heat up but when it gets hot you should hear the fan going on and off again!

If you read about cold weather riding you will see guys put thermobob on! That is because the stat stays closed until its really hot than BAM! it opens wide open! That damn stat! lol We need a happy medium!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM

That's a tough one. I think the consensus is that the V is not as hot as most bikes but if it is hot for your wife, that is your new reality. It was 108 degrees for the ride home yesterday and your so hot all over the temp of the bike doesn't much matter.

The only known cure is to rent her a Harley, get it nice and warm then sit at a traffic light in rush hour for a couple minutes. On second thought don't do that, she might not survive.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I think I may have not asked the correct question... I know what REALLY hot is... an air cooled Ural on a summer day...

Im wondering if something is up with the Versys??? Compared to the Vstrom the engine radiates quite a bit more heat.. same displacement... cooling system etc.... I dont recall the bike generating so much heat last summer...

coolant level is good.. fan is almost constantly "on"... not sure what the issue could be ??? if there even is one... maybe the inline twin just makes more heat than the v-twin...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 PM

Garage
Related question:

I checked today and found with the bike level and the engine cool, my coolent reservoir indicates exactly halfway between the Full Line and the Low Line. Should I top that up to Full? Or is anywhere in that range OK?

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I would think that the coolant level would be reading a bit high, since it takes some time to cool down and shrink. So if you top up to the full line, the only thing that could happen is the expansion tank may relieve some fluid . The only way I could see a heating problem related to fluid would be if the expansion tank was empty , or almost empty when hot. The other possibility is the stat is sticking or not opening fully, that would be more apparent on a cooler day ( 75 to 80'F ), if the fan continued to run at low speeds.
We have been having a similar heat wave here, at those temperatures the fan will be running constant unless you are moving at 30 MPH or more, personally I don't use it for commuting, when it gets that hot, I prefer to be at the beach, in the water or keeping cool other ways
I try to set a example, I wear full gear no matter how hot it is ( my son took the MSC, and wears full gear), so at 100 F, it is just too hot to put on the gear.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Check this out:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19815

Now i get to keep the V running cool..

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM
MTS

Is it possible your stat is sticking?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM

It seems that the Kaw 650s are designed in such a way that the fan directs its warm backwash right onto the rider's inner thigh, especially on the right side. Reviewers have written that the new 650r and ER6n were designed to reduce this issue. The Versys retains the same frame as 2011, so no joy there.

I recall this being a much bigger discomfort with my '83 V45 Sabre, or maybe I was just used to air-cooled bikes.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is much heated air blowing through radiator which can be felt, and there's more heat radiated onto right leg from the engine cylinder block and head which is offset and closer to the right. There's also radiated and rising heat from muffler/catalytic converter unit down on the right.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 02:58 PM

If you think the V is hot try riding the wife's Moto-Guzzi. Damn!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 PM

I live in a 365 days hot climate, and the worse part of the day is in the afternoons. I do feel the hot air coming off the exhaust and radiator when the fan runs. I also do feel the hot sun on my thighs; my mesh jacket provides ample direct sun protection. I say it is normal to feel the gush of hot air, especially after riding slow or idle for a few minutes. It would take about 5 minutes of 60 kph or greater riding to remove all that heat so that the legs won't feel the hot air.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode