Awful MPG - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Awful MPG

Hello all- After monitoring 5 fillups using fuelly I'm apparently getting a whopping 28.7Mpg average. Here are the conditions:
99% of my riding is commuting to work through manhattan. This is almost entirely stop and go in traffic. I know this is the worst scenario for good mileage. That said- 30Mpg even would seem WELL lower than and of the other Versys I've seen on the site. So 2 questions:
1. Do you think all stop and go driving can lead to this kind of gas mileage legitimately and
2. I try to keep it low in the revs, is it possible to keep it too low and somehow use more fuel as a result (incomplete ignition or some such?) I'm talking typically between 3 and 4k rpm.

Besides this the bike runs beautifully and gives me no other indications of anything being wrong. This is a bought new in 2012 2011 model with 1500 miles on it currently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Take it out on a weekend and run a tank of gas through it on country roads. If you get high 40s or more than it's just your commute.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
MTS

Couple of threads on this i think.

1) Type of petro? 90+ octane?
2) Tire pressure? I like my tires some what soft. Love the ride but it costs mpg.
3) Stop and go traffic? Makes all the difference. And I love to give it a little in traffic. Its a fun bike! Ha!
4) Up and down hills?

+1 with Roam that would be a great test!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Couple of threads on this i think.

1) Type of petro? 90+ octane?
2) Tire pressure? I like my tires some what soft. Love the ride but it costs mpg.
3) Stop and go traffic? Makes all the difference. And I love to give it a little in traffic. Its a fun bike! Ha!
4) Up and down hills?

+1 with Roam that would be a great test!
Ok- so-

1. Using regular from Shell.
2. Tire pressures at manual suggestions.
3. I also like to give it a little in the brief open areas I get.
4. Mostly flat I'd say.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM

+1 to what Roam says....it probably is the idling at lights and taking off repeatedly.

I recently saw in Sportrider where the Aprilia Tuono they tested averaged only 28 mpg but that's an almost 1000cc high performace V-4 that they were riding hard.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

Last edited by El Tig; 06-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
2. I try to keep it low in the revs, is it possible to keep it too low and somehow use more fuel as a result (incomplete ignition or some such?) I'm talking typically between 3 and 4k rpm.
I as recently talking to my mechanic about a new truck and comparing the same model with a auto or stick. He said that most of the people who buy the stick were not very happy with the mileage(they thought it should be better) but that they were all to nice to the vehicle. If you barely rev the thing up at all times then it is harder on the engine, and that you need to let it rev a bit more.

I dont know how accurate that is, but based on watching my truck with the auto on when it shifts it will rev up pretty high rather than just jumping to the next gear.

On my V, I personally rev it up nicely when riding(I love to hear the pipe sing!) to 6k in a populated area and higher when out for a nice ride out of the cities. I average mid-high 40's and that is not being nice to the throttle(always low grade gas for me as well)

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I get 55 MPG with most of my riding in the 40-50mph range....

I did notice last weekend I did 150 miles on the interstate loaded with gear and I got 46...RPMs seem to be the key. Around town I average 3500rpms hwy is 5500rpms...

I run the panniers all the time but at lower speeds they offer less drag....hwy a lot more drag....
I don't know what fuelly is I use the good old fashioned gallons put it vs mileage on the trip odometer....

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle

Last edited by offcamber; 06-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I get 55 MPG with most of my riding in the 40-50mph range....

I didn't notice last weekend I did 150 miles on the interstate loaded with gear and I got 46...RPMs seem to be the key. Around town I average 3500rpms hwy is 5500rpms...

I run the panniers all the time but at lower speeds they offer less drag....hwy a lot more drag....
I don't know what fuelly is I use the good old fashioned gallons put it vs mileage on the trip odometer....
Also good to note, and I forgot- I have a Pelican iM2600 as a topcase at all times. I suppose I should give her a week without it to see how it changes; but I still don't see it making that huge a difference...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Weird... What are your exact gallons and miles figures?

You're using Shell E10 (10% ethanol) 87 pump posted octane (91 RON) gasoline? Gearing is stock?

Last edited by invader; 06-22-2012 at 01:06 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 AM

I can say the panniers will suck your mileage down like crazy with all 3 seahorse cases, running 75-80mph and 10% ethanol fuel (BOO) I averaged about 40-43 MPG on my trip.

Got on the bike today and got some non 10% ethanol and am running the Versys in what I call commuter mode (just top case). Hopefully my mileage goes back up. I love seeing 50MPG. Stop and go traffic eats it up also. If the traffic is bad I notice my mpg going down a tad but never below 39mpg. Of course I'm also not running in-city stop and go which I am sure is much worse.

"Why do I ride?"

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Has your air filter checked and cleaned if necessary? Check the brakes too, if they are somewhat sticky.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM

I'd guess your commute is a lot like mine, except I probably have more hills. My bike is new and I'm still letting it warm up a little more than I would normally, which probably burns a hair more gas in town. Last tank, probably 75% in-town commuting, I got 35.5 mpg with crappy CA gas. Today's ride, a full tank's worth, I got 43.9. This took it to 927 miles on the odometer. This was the first time I rode it like a fully broken in bike, punching hard out of turns and spinning up to 9k rpm, and I was leading (among others) a guy on a Multistrada so I tried to keep it fast into the turns as well There was about 80 miles of hard twisties and 80 of superslab at 75mph. I am very happy with the mileage and agree that yours is too low. Have you (or anyone else) adjusted your TPS?

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!

Last edited by PDSF; 06-24-2012 at 10:43 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Just got back from a short run ( 212 KM ), about 40 minutes of highway speeds ( our 400 series highways, multi-lane divided highway ) averaging 120 KM/ HR to 140 , did some twisties, several steep hills, some stop and go, about 10 KM of gravel road. I have the givi top case and side cases. I am running Pilot road 2s, front @36psi, rear @38 psi., I weigh slightly over 200LBS. I was running ESSO 87 octane, have been as a experiment for the last couple rides getting gas from the same station near home, someone claimed to get better mileage , won't mention any names.
I don't baby it, as a rule I usually hit 8 to 9K a couple times every ride, average sustained RPM is 5000, using a 16 tooth front.I also have the raised windshield, that creates a good amount of wind resistance

57.78 MPG or 24.56 KM per litre

If I take it easy, don't go over 6000 RPM, same ride, I get 61 MPG.

Since this isn't a moped, I don't drive it like a moped, I would only drive like that if I thought I was going to run out of fuel, and a long walk to get fuel.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM

spent several days (while camping ) hot footing it through the countryside and was seeing 44.5 mpg. REV's were held at 6000 up to red-line. Nothing but 3rd or 4th gear most of the time and no brakes...just let the engine do the work.
Fuel was pure 87 octane.....No Ethanol.
The location was M-22 in the north/west region of Michigan's lower peninsula.
(hilly and twisty......Heaven!)

I doubt I will ever see 50+ mpg ever again ( the last time was when I was breaking in the engine from new)....The bike and I love to run tooo darned much!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

After reading a bit about tire pressures I'm thinkin that may be a big part of my problem. I've been running the stock Dunlops at 32f 36r since I got the bike. I weigh 205, and have a pelican topcase with a decent amount of crap in it, not to mention my sw crashbars et all. I just raised my pressure to 36f 40r to see if, indeed, my mileage may vary Couldn't bring myself to go 42 in the back, even though it sounds like some have ridden that way very successfully...

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I know it has been mentioned before, have you adjusted your throttle position sensor? Also are you running stock vacuum set up , I tried the vacuum hose mod and found my mileage drop drastically, the improved low RPM response wasn't worth the difference in mileage ( engine braking I could smell fuel in the air from the exhaust). The last thing that makes a difference is chain lube and slack, follow the manual, bike on side stand, measure slack, too tight causes premature chain wear and can damage the bearings. I lube my chain every 500 KM, using Dupont teflon multiuse lube or Dupont chain saver, chain saver is just a bit heavier lube.First time I used it, spinning the wheel by hand it wouldn't coast, as soon as I started lubing it I saw a big difference, I waited for it to dry and tried again, the coasting was still there. I have over 16,000 KM on the original chain and sprockets, no sign of wear, last chain adjustment was 4000 KM ago when I changed tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode