front wheel issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
front wheel issues

Dropped my bike in a 1ft deep puddle while riding off road. No obvious damage to the bike. It went over at a low speed. The issue is it is now making slight brake chafe sounds with wheel rotation (woosh, woosh, woosh). More troubling is a barely perceptible bump with each wheel rotation as well as a slight metal contact sound with the bump. No obvious signs of a bent rim. The front brake works fine and the sounds continue when the brake is applied. Rotors seem fine. I plan to take my wheel off when I get time. What should I look for? Could the bearings have rusted causing this? There are only 17K kms on the bike so they should not have worn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Take the wheel off and get the brake serviced. There maybe some foreign material stuck at the brake pads or you may have damage rim or Brake calliper.

Hard to say but best bet is to remove and get parts of the wheel serviced.
if your are riding and no wobbling then your rim is good. sound of metal contact maybe form Brake System.-IMHO

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do you feel a pulsing at the brake lever when you apply the front brakes? If so, your rotors could be warped. If you are taking your front wheel off do check the bearings. I am on my third set at 70 k kms. The inner race should move freely and without any gritty feel. If you find the bearings are damaged you may want to pay a shop to change them, unless you have a bearing puller. Even with the puller it's a sweaty hour of cursing to get them changed. The bearings are about $15 so I would think the whole job would cost less than $75.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Rotor(s) may have warped slightly if they were hot when dipped in cold water... Try lubing the rotors' mount bobbins first, and maybe remove the pads to clean them and the calipers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
rotor(s) may have warped slightly if they were hot when dipped in cold water... Try lubing the rotors' mount bobbins first, and maybe remove the pads to clean them and the calipers.

+1

lop
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Rotor(s) may have warped slightly if they were hot when dipped in cold water... Try lubing the rotors' mount bobbins first, and maybe remove the pads to clean them and the calipers.
Thank you for the advice.

I would not have thought of lubing the mount bobbins. In fact I think this is the issue. Have not yet removed the calipers. When the brakes are cold there is no bump, this only occurs after they warm up. Still wheel seems to spin OK without much drag when I spin it by hand. Will remove calipers tomorrow. Do I need to remove the cylinders from the caliper to clean around the seals or is there another less labor intensive way of doing this. I don't want to have to bleed the brakes if I don't have to.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It appears the front rotor has got a very slight warp as Invader suggested. My guess from being immersed in cold water when it was hot. Ordered a used rotor off of EBay for $95 shipped ($30 shipping).

I also had to purchase a front stand for this. BVP head stand was $75 at local dealer. It is good quality but only lifts the front wheel 1/2" off the ground due to higher than average height of bike. I don't see how any pin would fit the versys 1 inch diam hole in the triple tree, I had to use a recess in the bottom of the triple tree a little off to the side to lift the bike. A pit bull stand has adjustable height, is better quality and comes with an adapter spec. for the Versys but is over double the price.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-20-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode