CA versys vs. 49 state - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CA versys vs. 49 state

When looking at the bike, how do i know? I searched and tried to find it but no luck. I'm not from cali but it looks like i have that square'ish box on the side?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 AM

If you have that squarish box on the left side, I'd guess you've got a CA.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 AM

The charcoal canister is the easiest way to tell. If you have the rectangular box on the left side of the engine, that is the canister, and the bike is a California model.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 AM

the Ca. model comes with a warning letter that your harming the environment by breathing, driving, living, etc. and that you should stop using all fossil fuels and only ride your bicycle

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
the Ca. model comes with a warning letter that your harming the environment by breathing, driving, living, etc. and that you should stop using all fossil fuels and only ride your bicycle
Not completely sure but I think this is false...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
Not completely sure but I think this is false...
You are absolutely RIGHT! The California letter does NOT mention riding your bike AT ALL, because then you'd use MORE Oxygen and put more carbon dioxide back... CAN'T have that!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The CA model is bought to sit in the garage and use as a place to set your sushi & hookah on when having a party.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Mine would beg to differ.

At any rate, my lungs are generally in favor of CA's emissions laws, especially having grown up in Los Angeles before many of those laws existed. Despite the fact that the population density is higher than ever, the air is actually cleaner. (As in, you don't have to wash your car every time you come back from the valley for fear that the paint will dissolve anymore!)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The CA model is bought to sit in the garage and use as a place to set your sushi & hookah on when having a party.

lol. Well it was bought new here in az, out of inventory, so it wasn't traded, besides there are lots of local dealers to trade around with if necessary.

i ran out to the garage and pulled that cover. cylinder and with lines...looks like you can pull all the shi t out and connect the lines back together etc...or what??

is it worth it and what are the best threads for getting rid of it? Is the ECU programmed and if moved or screwed with will there be more trouble than it's worth down the road? Bottom line, does removing it truly make any difference on the bike?

Last edited by broham; 06-17-2012 at 02:32 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post
lol. Well it was bought new here in az, out of inventory, so it wasn't traded, besides there are lots of local dealers to trade around with if necessary.

i ran out to the garage and pulled that cover. cylinder and with lines...looks like you can pull all the shi t out and connect the lines back together etc...or what??

is it worth it and what are the best threads for getting rid of it? Is the ECU programmed and if moved or screwed with will there be more trouble than it's worth down the road? Bottom line, does removing it truly make any difference on the bike?

It can be removed, there's a thread somewhere around here that tells you how to do it.

Having it there doesn't affect performance at all, and removing it wont make any difference. It's a fuel vapor recovery canister.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Garage
I bought mine in texas so i don't have the canister.But there are some guys here that have disconnect thiers. theres a thread on it somewhere.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
It can be removed, there's a thread somewhere around here that tells you how to do it.

Having it there doesn't affect performance at all, and removing it wont make any difference. It's a fuel vapor recovery canister.

Heres the thread....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...901#post157901

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

read a bunch on the removal. Seems alright but i reckon i'll just ride it as is. As for swm crashbars not fitting due to the cover, easily rectified, besides still not sure if i'm going with SWM's or hepco becker bars...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Givi bars fit with zero modification.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
MTS

Mine has it! No 2010's so had to wait three months to get one from Cali. I have had zero problems knock on wood!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Givi bars fit with zero modification.

we are talking about an 09 my friend. I was under the impression that givi's were 2010 and on. Not that i can really see what the different is in the years regarding all of the mounting points for the crash bars, but i honestly never tried to figure it out.

MTS: no problems and really don't expect any, just don't like extra shi t. Don't see where it truly helps given the size of the engine etc, however, for me, tinkering with an OEM "approval stamped" system just isn't me. I'll ride and smile as it is. If i start to experience problems, i'll screw with it.

Last edited by broham; 06-19-2012 at 02:43 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM

California has all kinds of problems (millions of illegal immigrants that pollute as well as commit serious crime for one) and they are worried about a little vapor from a mid sized motorcycle? Glad I don't live in that 3rd world cesspool. Then again I live in Illinois which is only a tiny bit better. At least we have a little bit less gov't intervention on our motorcycles here.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 PM

CA response

Not much of a fan of emissions control equipment, but with 34+ MILLION registered vehicles and 776,000+ motos (as of 2009), the air that usually blows EAST across the rest of the US would be alot dirtier if CA didn't try to clean it a little bit first. We're not going to stop riding and a six mile high exhaust pipe is a bit cumbersome. It could be worse - we could all be riding in YOUR 'hood.

PS - Another reason to live at the beach - we get first dibs on Pacific Ocean air (after Asia messes with it).
Attached Images
File Type: gif CalVeh.gif (6.4 KB, 51 views)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 PM

Truth, when your state has nearly as many people as the next two most populous states combined we'll see what kind of problems you have.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Good, keep your people there. I'm tired of them coming to Colorado and messing our state up.

As for emissions laws, you do realize you live in a state that enacts laws based on people who lied about their credentials, admitted they lied, the state knows they lied, but went ahead and enacted emissions policies anyhow. And now are forcing those emissions policies on the rest of us via the federal gov't even though they cause more issues than they solve.

I'll use my own industry as an example. I'm a truck driver, the whole DPF (diesel particulate filter) came about because of Ca. emissions requirements. Cool, make it required for trucks in Ca., not the rest of us. Every year my truck has to spend 3 days in the shop while the DPF is removed, scrubbed clean, reinstalled, and everyone hopes it works fine....ooops.....it doesn't so at least twice a year some part on it fails and once again we have to work on it. I average about 18 days per year of downtime because of this contraption. This is a nationwide problem that effects hundreds of thousands of trucks. Oh, along with your idling-nazi's who patrol PRIVATE PROPERTY ( so much for property rights) truck stops, farms, rest areas, etc., etc., enforcing anti-idlign laws. Ever tried to sleep in a 6' x 10' space in 110 deg. daytime temps in the desert with zero airflow through open windows? One of the best videos ever is the Ca. emissions nazi sitting in his air conditioned, idling patrol car for 20 minutes issuing a anti-idling ticket to a trucker who idled his truck for 5 minutes while building up air pressure. When the trucker pointed out that the officer was breaking the law, the officer threatened to tow and impound the semi. The ticket was later dismissed in court.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode