Relocating turn signals - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Relocating turn signals

Just got my SW Motech quick-lock side carriers from Twisted Throttle. I see that relocation of the turn signals is required. Rather than risk finding out the hard way, I thought I'd inquire of you guys who've already done it. What's the best way to remove the turn signals? Is there anything tricky about splicing in the extender wires? Anything else I need to careful about? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM

Garage
It really is easy to disconnect the rear signals, and just a few parts to keep track of. I didn't use extended wires myself (but I think they are a good idea) , I just drilled a small hole centered in the plastic pan below the seat, instead of trying to fish the wires back through the tight space on the tail's left side.

Just allow yourself some time.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good. Do I just pull them off, or is there any kind of retaining hardware that holds them on?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Garage
On the 1st Gen, the rubber stalk has a grooved end that is pushed through the fender. On the inside of the fender is a metal cap with a single screw holding the assembly secure.

Back the screw out (phillips head), pull the metal cap away, and the entire turn signal can be pulled out of the fender.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I keep forgetting to mention that mine is 2012. I'll take a look and see if it's the same.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Maybe depending on which bags you are mounting, relocating the signals may not be necessary. I have a 2011 with the same mounting racks but I am using E21 bags and I didn't bother moving the signals as they cleared no problem.

2013 Versys1000
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
Maybe depending on which bags you are mounting, relocating the signals may not be necessary. I have a 2011 with the same mounting racks but I am using E21 bags and I didn't bother moving the signals as they cleared no problem.
Wish I'd have read your comment before I proceeded. That might have determined which bags I bought. But I went ahead with the relocation. I found the best way for me was to remove that little tail section that holds the license plate and the turn signals. I extended the wires, moved the turn signals, and replaced the whole section again. I knew that would be the hardest part of the whole operation, but it wasn't all that bad. Anyway, the side carriers are on now, and I've tested them with my Givi E360 top case, and they work fine, along with the SW Motech top rack that I reinstalled (everyone was right, everything fits together just fine).

So, now that I've gone to all that trouble, I just ordered a set of E45NJ bags. I was considering E21's also, but what the heck. This will be the first bike I ever had that didn't use strictly soft luggage. I love soft luggage, but it'll be nice to have the bike almost fully packed all the time (tools, riding gear, helmet). Plus, it'll be nice not to have to take it all in with me when I'm moteling instead of camping, which I do 50/50.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 PM

I definitely see the reason for relocating the signals due to the addition of the side bags, but aesthetically, the new bracket they provide looks horrible.

I went for the option of keeping the stock location and adding the P3 LEDs to the license plate. A little more costly, but looks and functions way better with conspicuity flicker and flahing brakes.

Those who hesitate are not only lost, but miles from the next exit.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I definitely see the reason for relocating the signals due to the addition of the side bags, but aesthetically, the new bracket they provide looks horrible.

I went for the option of keeping the stock location and adding the P3 LEDs to the license plate. A little more costly, but looks and functions way better with conspicuity flicker and flahing brakes.
Man, you got that right. I thought it wouldn't look all that bad until I got everything put together. I can't really say it's ugly, just not overly sanitary. For me, it's the way the wiring just kind of hangs out there. On the other hand, I don't have to look at it while I'm riding it, and I didn't buy this bike for its looks anyway.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM

Garage
I did the re-locate about a month ago to intall Givi racks and E21s. I thought they looked horrible, un-finished, and poorly designed. Now, a month later, I never notice or give it a second thought.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
On the 1st Gen, the rubber stalk has a grooved end that is pushed through the fender. On the inside of the fender is a metal cap with a single screw holding the assembly secure.

Back the screw out (phillips head), pull the metal cap away, and the entire turn signal can be pulled out of the fender.
Pretty much the same on the 2011's.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Pretty much the same on the 2011's.
You're right. I found that out when I did the process.

Incidentally, that saga continues. Twisted Throttle doesn't have the E45NJ's in stock, and the delivery date has been moved back to July 6 (subject to change, of course). Since I'd been debating whether I wanted bags that big anyway, and I like the top loading feature of the E21's (which they do have in stock) I called them and changed the order. Twisted Throttle continues to be a great place to do business, and today was no exception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode