Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

problems at cold start

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kurt 
#1 ·
Hello...
I´m having some (minor) problems in cold start... I have two ways to turn on the bike; the first is turn the key on and immediately press the start button. In this way the bike starts on the first try ... the only strange thing is that after a few seconds the engine revs go down an a few seconds later revs raise again.
The second way is to turn on the key and wait a few seconds so the tach needle moves and the FI light turns off ... by this method the bike doesn´t start at the first try, I have to press the start button two more times and sometimes, the bike starter makes a strange noise that I do not like at all :mad:
Spark plugs are new ... Any idea what could be happening?
Dirty injectors maybe?

#3 ·
TB vacuum balance is checked with manometer or seperate vacuum gauges, hooked onto TB vacuum access fittings.

Leave the right TB vacuum bypass adjustment screw closed, and adjust the left TB screw (or possible vice versa) that's already turned out to balance vacuum at 1300 rpm idle.
Here's the left throttle body's vacuum bypass adjustment screw at the end of red pointer, as seen from fuel tank's rear mount after removing airbox. I covered up the TB inlets with my original air filter's foam element, wrapping it on both with electrical tape to perform the adjustment with rear of fuel tank jacked up:

#4 ·
Happy Father's day to all fathers!
Hello Invader... I check the TPS and reading was 1.095V
Don't you think it was too high?
I set it now to 1.060V

Next service I will change my sparkplugs, again, and put back the new Denso's.
Check main throttle sensor voltage output at full throttle opening. Mine runs good at 4.22V, which raised the idle position (with warmed up engine) to just above spec range. Idle position is also more tricky to check as the engine has to be warmed up enough so that throttle is not open a bit more...

From service manual:

Output Voltage at Sensor
Standard: DC 1.005 ∼ 1.035 V (at idle throttle opening)
DC 4.2 ∼ 4.4 V (at full throttle opening)

#5 ·
I check again and it was 1.06V but Full Throttle opening the max value I can get is 4.09V
I´m sure if I set that FTO value at 4.2V the value at iddle will raise a lot... I remember I do this some time ago.
Desconnecting my PCV just make a change of -0.01V so that´s not much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.