Do I Have a Bad Stator? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do I Have a Bad Stator?

Hi all,

My 07 quit on me in the middle of traffic on my way to work this morning. I've done some poking around and suspect that I may have a bad stator.

The past few days, the bike has struggled to start but seemed okay once it started going. Today I noticed a bit of a hesitation from the engine and when I looked down, I saw that the tach was sweeping as though I had just turned the key to on. This happened more than once.

I was stopped at a red light and noticed that my clock had reset itself, and when I tried to go, the bike just stopped running. Eventually, I got over to the side of the road (that was scary) and did some minor trouble shooting, but I can't get the bike to start at all.

When I turned the key to the "On" position, I'm sure I heard the fuel pump, the tach did not sweep, and I don't think that the FI light came on. Pressed the starter, and absolutely nothing happened. It was like it had been disconnected.

I was pretty dumb this winter and didn't bother to do anything with my battery and it was stone dead at the beginning of the season, so I was thinking that the battery was screwed and just not holding a charge, but based on what I've read regarding similar symptoms, I'm thinking it's the stator.

So my question to you, is what should I check to be sure? Or is it definitely the stator? I'll be checking my battery voltage, and my fuses (they seemed okay at a glance) when I get home, but beyond that I don't really know where to start tracing electrical issues.

Thanks for your time,
David

07 Versys - Ebony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM

If you recharge the battery and start up the bike, check the voltage, it should be around 13.8V at startup and gradually drops (quite a long time) but will remain above 12V.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 PM

If you're output isn't where it should be you can check the stator by draining the oil and pulling the left side engine cover to look at the stator. If it's bad there's a good chance you can see burned out windings.

See picture in post #52:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d.php?p=160884

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider View Post
Hi all,

My 07 quit on me in the middle of traffic on my way to work this morning. I've done some poking around and suspect that I may have a bad stator.

The past few days, the bike has struggled to start but seemed okay once it started going. Today I noticed a bit of a hesitation from the engine and when I looked down, I saw that the tach was sweeping as though I had just turned the key to on. This happened more than once.

I was stopped at a red light and noticed that my clock had reset itself, and when I tried to go, the bike just stopped running. Eventually, I got over to the side of the road (that was scary) and did some minor trouble shooting, but I can't get the bike to start at all.

When I turned the key to the "On" position, I'm sure I heard the fuel pump, the tach did not sweep, and I don't think that the FI light came on. Pressed the starter, and absolutely nothing happened. It was like it had been disconnected.

I was pretty dumb this winter and didn't bother to do anything with my battery and it was stone dead at the beginning of the season, so I was thinking that the battery was screwed and just not holding a charge, but based on what I've read regarding similar symptoms, I'm thinking it's the stator.

So my question to you, is what should I check to be sure? Or is it definitely the stator? I'll be checking my battery voltage, and my fuses (they seemed okay at a glance) when I get home, but beyond that I don't really know where to start tracing electrical issues.

Thanks for your time,
David
Sounds pretty similar to what happened to me when mine crapped out. Fortunately it's a pretty easy repair and the part costs less than a new back tire, so not too painful. I would recommend the voltage test others have described, because if you remove the cover you'll have to replace the gasket.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Good to know, thanks guys.

After I get it running, about how long will it take for me to see the voltage drop to unreasonable levels?

And is 12V the indicative value for a bad stator, or would it be greater since the bike is running?

Thanks again.

07 Versys - Ebony
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Have you verified that the battery is still good, contacts and grounds are not corroded, etc? (You mentioned you have an 07.) If not, do that stuff first before you mess with the stator. My 2 cents.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Have you verified that the battery is still good, contacts and grounds are not corroded, etc? (You mentioned you have an 07.) If not, do that stuff first before you mess with the stator. My 2 cents.
The contacts on the battery are in good condition, and the battery seems to be in good physical shape (no cracks or anything), but I'll take another look for sure. My first instinct was that it was the battery, but even with barely any power (in the past), pressing the starter button did something. That's what got me poking around for an alternative explanation in the first place.

Thanks,
David

07 Versys - Ebony
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
The contacts on the battery are in good condition, and the battery seems to be in good physical shape (no cracks or anything), but I'll take another look for sure. My first instinct was that it was the battery, but even with barely any power (in the past), pressing the starter button did something. That's what got me poking around for an alternative explanation in the first place.

Thanks,
David
It still could be. Batteries can and do die instantly sometimes. Hopefully that's what it is.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so my problem appears to have changed, maybe.

When I got home, my bike started a little soft but it was running. I had to turn it off to go get my multimeter, and when I tried to start it a second time, a fuse blew killing all the power. I fiddled with the fuses trying to see which one had popped, and the tach moved to, and stayed at, ~3500rpm for a few seconds, while the bike was in the 'Off' position.

Playing with the fuses would get the power back and pressing the starter would pop a fuse. I'll swap out the correct fuse and try again, but I'm worried I have a short somewhere. Next time I go out, I'll try to remember to get a voltage reading, even without the bike running.

07 Versys - Ebony
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM

My understanding (limited) is that voltage reading on the battery by itself isn't a good indicator; battery needs to be tested under load. There are threads on here about folks who had bad batteries, but without load their battery voltage appeared to be fine.

Think about which fuse is popping too. GOOD LUCK!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay, so my problem appears to have changed, maybe.

When I got home, my bike started a little soft but it was running. I had to turn it off to go get my multimeter, and when I tried to start it a second time, a fuse blew killing all the power. I fiddled with the fuses trying to see which one had popped, and the tach moved to, and stayed at, ~3500rpm for a few seconds, while the bike was in the 'Off' position.

Playing with the fuses would get the power back and pressing the starter would pop a fuse. I'll swap out the correct fuse and try again, but I'm worried I have a short somewhere. Next time I go out, I'll try to remember to get a voltage reading, even without the bike running.
You may have a short circuit somewhere as the Tach should not move in OFF Position. Start form basic and check the batters, fuse and lose wires. Parking the bike over winter could have some wires damaged by pest.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I need to know, is this a Canadian Versys? You have a lot going on, the main fuse for the starter is not easily accessible, small triangular cover above regulator, requires allen wrench to remove. Looking at the electrical drawing, I would check the battery ground , the negative terminal is wired to the frame ground but also has a main ground close to the battery, the starter has the same. It is possible that the ground bolt has come loose.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
My understanding (limited) is that voltage reading on the battery by itself isn't a good indicator; battery needs to be tested under load. There are threads on here about folks who had bad batteries, but without load their battery voltage appeared to be fine.

Think about which fuse is popping too. GOOD LUCK!
Seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
You may have a short circuit somewhere as the Tach should not move in OFF Position. Start form basic and check the batters, fuse and lose wires. Parking the bike over winter could have some wires damaged by pest.

I did discover a mouse problem in the garage where I stored my bike. I told myself I should check the wiring, now I really have to, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I need to know, is this a Canadian Versys? You have a lot going on, the main fuse for the starter is not easily accessible, small triangular cover above regulator, requires allen wrench to remove. Looking at the electrical drawing, I would check the battery ground , the negative terminal is wired to the frame ground but also has a main ground close to the battery, the starter has the same. It is possible that the ground bolt has come loose.
It is a Canadian Versys. I didn't realize that the fuse for the starter was in a different spot. I better take another look at the manual.

Thanks for all your help,
David

07 Versys - Ebony
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 PM

You've likely answered your own question. You have a 2007 bike. It is 2012.

Your battery is 5 years old. That is your problem. Get a new one, all will be well. Defective/high resistance batteries are bad enough in cars, but cause havoc in bikes.

Enjoy your bike, bite the bullet and install a new battery. A five year old battery is like riding with no tread on your tires... you will have trouble.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
You've likely answered your own question. You have a 2007 bike. It is 2012.

Your battery is 5 years old. That is your problem. Get a new one, all will be well. Defective/high resistance batteries are bad enough in cars, but cause havoc in bikes.

Enjoy your bike, bite the bullet and install a new battery. A five year old battery is like riding with no tread on your tires... you will have trouble.
I have a 07, original battery, 15,000km, did a recent test , my tester doesn't have a current adjustment, manual says 3 X amp hour rating for 15 seconds, so I had 90 amp for 5 seconds, battery came in at 12.65 VDC, close enough for me.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I was pretty dumb this winter and didn't bother to do anything with my battery and it was stone dead at the beginning of the season, so I was thinking that the battery was screwed and just not holding a charge... I had to turn it off to go get my multimeter, and when I tried to start it a second time, a fuse blew killing all the power.
Sounds like your battery is wasted, and possibly also shorted out... Replace it before it causes more damage.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

So I swapped my battery, and it seems to have fixed the problems. I just did a short ride around to check, I went 8 times further than the day it quit on me initially, so it seems alright for now.

Thanks for every bodies help,
David

07 Versys - Ebony
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:15 AM

Glad it seems better. Bad batteries are big bummers... especially when they are intermittent. Especially with a failing cell as one time it starts right up, next time it won't even "click". When it comes to batteries, there is only one fix. When in doubt, toss in a new one. Worse case scenario you end up with a spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode