Frame rust - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Frame rust

I've got a bit of rust on the frame of my 2008 but less than 16K km/9K miles. It is primarily on welds.

Is this a common issue? I'm very happy with the bike but a little disappointed with it's rust resistance. Please post pictures if you have rust. I will do this myself when it stops raining here.

Would using a wire brush to remove flaking paint and painting and rust with something like tremclad rust paint work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I see a bit on the frame weld on the left side just below my gas tank. I have an 09.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
ONLY rust I've noticed on my '09 (bought in Nov, 2010) is on the gas tank under the sidecovers where the 90 degree piece that the screws go into, is attached.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 AM

Mine is an '07, and most of the frame welds are rusted, as well as the brackets on the tank.
I really want to fix it, but to do a decent job, some of the frame welds need to be sand blasted because they are hard to get to with a brush.
Sounds like a winter project to me, would be cool to have the frame powder coated black
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 AM

you guys that are experiencing rust, does the bike sit outside? Only time I've had rust on a bike (and corrosion), was when the bike was outside (covered), it seems it happened because of the condensation that formed from the change in overnight temperature. ?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 AM

Mine has a bit of surface rust near a few welds, but it's purely cosmetic IMO. My bike mainly lives inside - except if I'm on a trip - but it does see rain regularly. I never put a cover on it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 AM
MTS

2010 no rust at all. Bike outside in summer covered patio, inside in the winter time, heated to 67 all the time.

IMO, doing something is better than nothing. Remove as much rust and or paint that is bad as possible. Scrape ,wire brush ect. Use a lacquer thinner and wipe afffected area off. Then use special rust primer, paint, to area and smash it into cranks with sponge or paint bush, roller , ect, after, spraying it on. Yes it will stop the rusting. Dong nothing the rust soaks up water and problem rust area gets bigger. Good luck!

Just tape off bad area! Thats the only area you need to paint, prime. Unless you want to repaint the whole thing!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
you guys that are experiencing rust, does the bike sit outside? Only time I've had rust on a bike (and corrosion), was when the bike was outside (covered), it seems it happened because of the condensation that formed from the change in overnight temperature. ?
I think the PO had the bike sitting outside in not-so-sunny London
After I got it, it sits in the garage, and the rust spots haven't gotten any bigger in my time

MTS, agreed, doing something is better than nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode