fork tube interchange - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
fork tube interchange

My goal is to fit a ZX-10/ZX6R radial caliper to the Versys fork and I have designed a new bottom leg to do so. I did this without fully understanding how the lower cast leg and the chrome tube fit together. It now seems that the fork tube is pressed into the bottom axle casting on the Versys so I cannot simply fit my new part to the tube

Is there another Kawi model with the same length lower fork tube that has a radial caliper bracket
ZX6R, ZX-10 ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Don't give up quite yet. The Vesys has 41mm tubes. I think the ZX6R has 41mm tubes as well.

RaceTech builds forks for F450 race bikes. Those are the 450cc dirbikes that are converted to roadracing GP style bikes. Part of the conversion is to press the leading axle lower casting off and install a new one with the axle in center line with the fork tube.

If you have the two sets of tubes, see about having RaceTech do the labor of swapping them over.

There's an idea.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

I am in Thailand so Racetech is out

I am willing to give it a try to press in new tubes to my billet lower leg but where to buy a new tube. The Amazon link I posted earlier seems generic and I am not convinced that this is the correct part

Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Hoghead,
I'll be visiting a friend of a friend who specializes in salvage sport-bike parts in a week or so.
He says he has many parts from many Ninjas so we'll be able to compare what could work on the spot.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM

It is my understanding that all Tokico 4 piston radial calipers have the same mounting bolt center to center measurment of 108 MM.

These calipers are used on, to the best of my knowledge, late model GSXR'S, ZX6, 636, ZX10, CBR600, CBR1000 and possibly others that I am unaware of.

I do not know the fork tube diameters of the above bike models but would think that one of them would have the same tube diameter as the V but tube length would be the next issue to deal with.

Another thought would be if you found a slightly larger diameter fork tube would be to enlarge the fork tube holes in the upper and lower triple trees IF this would not remove too much material rendering the triple trees unsafe.

Front axle diameter would also be another issue to deal with along with ABS speed sensor mounting.

My personal opinion is that it would be easier to use radial caliper adapter brackets to fit radial calipers to the V. Not as good as true radial caliper mounts but this is a street bike, not a race bike.

Stay tuned-I ordered radial caliper adapter brackets and plan on posting info on the installation in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 06-07-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Ziggy - I have modeled up some brackets to fit 108mm radials to the ABS Versys and can spit them out of the CNC easily enough.
Did you buy yours from the guy in Taiwan that has the ad on Fleaybay? If so he told me that it would not fit the ABS Versys. I do not see why and perhaps he does not know and is covering his a$$

The proper radial caliper mount is what I am after and I need to either find a way to fit my new bottom axle housing to the tube, or hope that a ZX6R or ZX10 is the same length tube as the Versys.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 PM

Might not be applicable, but just for sharing nonetheless, in case u get any ideas.

A friend of mine who rides a 2010 er6n fully converted the front end by utilising a pair of 2004 zx10r forks, a z1000 top triple and our versys lower triple (hole bored an extra 2mm to accommodate the forks). There he gets a supersport front end with radial calipers. Re-used the wheel and brake disc as it fits and requires no replacing.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

I know about this for the ER but is the Versys front end not longer?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 AM

I have no exact measurement on the length of our fork tubes, however our versys frame is exact same frame of an er6. The longer shock and probably longer forks contributed to the height of versys.

Maybe u can try getting the fork lengths and diameter from the bike's manuals, and see if there could be possible match? Even if the length is shorter, perhaps lowering the rear would compensate?

- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM

I have recently had the forks apart and can confirm that the outer and inner fork tubes are the same length on the V. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 AM

That sure is a lot of effort to go through for one-finger stoppies!
Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Bart - confused can you explain your post a bit
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Bart - confused can you explain your post a bit
OK

When I had the forks on the bench with the springs out and the inner tube pushed all the way into the outer tube the top of the inner tube is virtually level with the top of the outer tube at the top. Thereby making the two tubes the same length and you can easily measure the outer tube length to give the inner tube length.

Hope this is now clear.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Ziggy - I have modeled up some brackets to fit 108mm radials to the ABS Versys and can spit them out of the CNC easily enough.
Did you buy yours from the guy in Taiwan that has the ad on Fleaybay? If so he told me that it would not fit the ABS Versys. I do not see why and perhaps he does not know and is covering his a$$

The proper radial caliper mount is what I am after and I need to either find a way to fit my new bottom axle housing to the tube, or hope that a ZX6R or ZX10 is the same length tube as the Versys.

Hoghead,

I purchased the brackets from Taiwan and will be picking them up at the Post Office later today.

Information on the upgrade will be posted on the Front Brake Caliper Upgrade thread after completion and road testing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 06-08-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Ziggy

Those conversion brackets are also made here in Thailand, and cheaper than those from Taiwan.

I have some stress concentration concerns on how they are made, hence modeling new ones myself. This is my fall back position if I cannot get a proper radial bracket fitted
Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Ziggy

Those conversion brackets are also made here in Thailand, and cheaper than those from Taiwan.

I have some stress concentration concerns on how they are made, hence modeling new ones myself. This is my fall back position if I cannot get a proper radial bracket fitted
Yeah i noticed quite a number of er6 riders in thai who has those conversion bracket to fit in brembo radial calipers.

Up next :
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Ivan
Back home in Thailand now and to this project. Did you have a chance to compare fork legs to see if any other Kawi is interchangeable with the Versys

Is there a what fits what book for bikes like they have in the auto wrecking business?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

no one?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Phoned the Brembo kit supplier today and the kit c/w callipers is 640 USD
He will not sell the brackets separately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in