cowling crack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
cowling crack

The right upper cowling on my '09 developed a small crack on the weekend and now the crack has traveled about 8" so a whole chunk is ready to come off. I did a search and didn't find anything on cowling cracks so this must not be a common problem.

I had taken that cowling off and put back on just before so maybe over tightened bolts although the crack did not start at a bolt. How tight should those bolts be?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM

My '08 developed cracks (starting at the bolts on top) within the first year I had her. Luckily, the cracks didn't expand far (maybe an inch). Since then I have replaced both cowlings (I had scratches on both from dropping the bike on a sandy/rocky beach) and the new cowlings have been fine for the past few years.

As to how much the bolts should be tightened? I wish I had a good answer.....just enough, but not too much is how I do it now.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 PM

I've had success repairing body work on other bikes, fortunately haven't needed to repair my '09.
I used fiberglass tape and ABS/PVC glue, and made the repair on the back side of the panel. Multiple applications of the glue is key. The front still showed a hairline crack, but it didn't spread and the panel was useable. You might give it a try.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I've had success repairing body work on other bikes, fortunately haven't needed to repair my '09.
I used fiberglass tape and ABS/PVC glue, and made the repair on the back side of the panel. Multiple applications of the glue is key. The front still showed a hairline crack, but it didn't spread and the panel was useable. You might give it a try.
Thanks for the tips...I might try it. Are the panels made of ABS? Would that yellow glue that you use to glue ABS plumbing pipe work? I have some of that. And I also have PVC cement for electrical conduit.

I ordered a new panel but would still like to fix the old one and have it as a spare. Also would like to know what caused it so the same thing doesn't happen to the new panel. I am thinking to use loctite on the panel screws and then only tighten them down lightly against the panel.

Brian
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by versysxxx View Post
...How tight should those bolts be?...Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegenes View Post
...As to how much the bolts should be tightened? I wish I had a good answer.....just enough, but not too much is how I do it now.
I use blue Loctite on those whenever I remove/replace them. I use a 1/4" ratchet with my hand held around the ratchet-head NOT at the end of the handle for tightening. That way I haven't overtightened them (yet!!!).

Every few times when they're removed I run them thru a die, and a tap thru the thread insert, to clean out the old Loctite, and make them easier to turn.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Yes, the panels are ABS. I had my left side crack for no apparent reason and never been off the bike. I suspect it was cracked when I bought it but then spread. I used a sanding drum on my Dremel to V out the crack a bit and put in Devcon Plastic Welder (a two part like epoxy). Came out fine.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM

Garage
Can you post some pic ?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Can you post some pic ?
Here it is. I have duct tape behind to hold it together.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Garage
Quote:

Wo ... That's pretty intense

Have you ever droped your V ?

Have to check mine for starting crack ...

Hopefully, you'll be able to do a clean fix with all the solution mentioned

Good luck

Take care

LOP
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:

That is nothing.
Skilled hands can make that look like new. Just take it to a good body shop.

Mine was in pieces so it was patched and glued back and it looks great. Apart from the wrong color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode