Suspension help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Suspension help *** UPDATED***

I have to ask since I am at a loss for getting this thing to keep from wallowing in the turns.

First off I am 6' 210# with gear on.

My Versys has 7600 miles on it as of today.

Settings are Static Sag front and rear 35 MM
Front rebound +1/4 firmer from Factory
Preload 2 turns out from Fully closed.

Rear Preload -1 from Max Preload
Rebound 3 clicks firmer past factory setting.

My problem is I just got back from AR for the first time on the VS and all I can say is, it is lacking a lot in suspension.

For instance riding Push Mt. doing about 85-95 (Indicated) through the 30-35 MPH turns the bike wallows really bad. The road surface is about as good as it gets, very smooth and slight banks in most of the turns. And the bike about 1/4 the way through the turn starts to feel really loose in the rear. But if I hit bumps in the road it seems like it is a little on the firm side. On the front it does not dive under heavy braking. The bike seems to suspend equally front and rear. So I am at a total loss as to why it does this. 3 weeks before I was there on the exact same road on my 08 Bandit, and it just ate those turns up, rock solid pushing it as hard or even harder than the VS. I set the bandit up basically the same way, 35 mm front and rear, and was even carrying 30# of Luggage on the back. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

*** UPDATE ***

Well I broke a cardinal rule of trying to figure out the problem with the bike, I changed 3 things.

First off I replaced the front tire, as it was almost to the wear bars, and was starting to cup very slightly. (Pirelli Diablo)

Next thing I did was put all the suspension back to factory setting, with the exception of adding 2 full turns to the front. Rebound on both ends at factory settings.

I just got back from a quick AR ride, and all I can say is that the bike is rock solid in the turns again. 85 MPH (GPS reading) through lots of 30-35 MPH turns. No more wallowing in the turns.

So now my dilemma is, why in the heck was it doing it. I sure do not weigh 150# more like 220# With all Gear on. Not sure what to think, but am a happy camper again. I was almost to the point of getting rid of the bike,

Thanks for all the reply's, It made me go back and just start over.

Todd

Last edited by tapntx; 11-05-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: UPDATED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 PM

I had a pro suspension guy set mine up and he said the front springs were pretty soft for real aggressive riding, although I have never had a problem going as fast as I felt I could go through the twisty stuff on this bike.

I would say get some new tires if youre still running the stockers. I run Bridgestone BT 016's. HUGE improvement over the crap it comes with. Second I would check the fork seals. Even a barely noticeable leak can cause major handling issues. Compress the forks a few times and wipe fork tubes with your finger. The tubes should be totally free of any oil.

Other than that, you may just need to fiddle with your set up some more. I am no suspension expert, but if you want to talk to one, call or email Mike Fitzgerald. He is a super cool guy with years of experience working with the pros and he works for Ohlins. He's the guy that set up my V. His # is (828) 692-4525 x 312. Email is
[email protected]

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 AM

Hmmmm... I'd be checking the sag in the rear. I'm 160 Lb and get 35 mm at -1

+1 on the tires, I think I sometimes feel a wallow that is actually a slip, especially when they're cold.

2007 Versys, 2003 Magna, 2000 VTR1000

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaversys View Post
Hmmmm... I'd be checking the sag in the rear. I'm 160 Lb and get 35 mm at -1

+1 on the tires, I think I sometimes feel a wallow that is actually a slip, especially when they're cold.
I will re-check everything

As far as tire temp, I had to ride about 170 miles to get to Push Mt. and the temp was around 65. The surface of that road is like riding on 80 grit sand paper. Tire pressures were factory, the bike just seems to wallow around. Not like a bar oscillation, much more pronounced through the entire bike. I feel like the back of the bike is waddling, I have even ask people behind me if they saw it wiggling around. Not a scary thing, just screws up your line.

I am supposed to corner work on the 9th at the local track, I may take it to the suspension guy and see what he says.

Another thought I had! Is it possible the bike does this when pushed hard because of a single damping adjustment on the Forks.

BTW, there are no leaks of any kind on this bike. I am very meticulous about maintenance and checking the bike over carefully before riding.

Thanks,
Todd
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Agree with antman, tyres make a huge difference to this bike. I had similar experiences to you with odd handling. I replaced my stock tyres with Bridgestone 021's. Man, it seemed like a different machine!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Agree with antman, tyres make a huge difference to this bike. I had similar experiences to you with odd handling. I replaced my stock tyres with Bridgestone 021's. Man, it seemed like a different machine!!

I am running a new set of PR2's they have about 2k miles on them and are showing very little wear.

Todd
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
-I have those on my VTR! Love them! Will be putting them on my V as soon as I wear out the stockers.

2007 Versys, 2003 Magna, 2000 VTR1000
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Is anybody else feeling this at that mileage? Just woundering if offset rear shock and height might be harder on Bushings or ??? It sounds like you have enough miles on it to know what you feel in your seat.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM

I am 6' 230 and was experiancing the same wallow you describe. I was at max read pre-load and 3 clicks firmer in the rear. Front was 2 turns in from factory setting on fork pre-load and 1 turn in towards firm/ This weekend all I did was try 3 off max pre-load on the rear shock and it was like I had a totally different rear suspension. Pushed it hard into a couple of moderate left right curves and then a hard roll on into the next couple of right left tight curves and no wallow and travked real nice. I just read the make pne adjustment at a time thread here of the UK site, sound advice.

I never met anyone that knows I don't like them.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmithiz View Post
I am 6' 230 and was experiancing the same wallow you describe. I was at max read pre-load and 3 clicks firmer in the rear. Front was 2 turns in from factory setting on fork pre-load and 1 turn in towards firm/ This weekend all I did was try 3 off max pre-load on the rear shock and it was like I had a totally different rear suspension. Pushed it hard into a couple of moderate left right curves and then a hard roll on into the next couple of right left tight curves and no wallow and travked real nice. I just read the make pne adjustment at a time thread here of the UK site, sound advice.

Well I broke a cardinal rule of trying to figure out the problem with the bike, I changed 3 things.

First off I replaced the front tire, as it was almost to the wear bars, and was starting to cup very slightly. (Pirelli Diablo)

Next thing I did was put all the suspension back to factory setting, with the exception of adding 2 full turns to the front. Rebound on both ends at factory settings.

I just got back from a quick AR ride, and all I can say is that the bike is rock solid in the turns again. 85 MPH (GPS reading) through lots of 30-35 MPH turns. No more wallowing in the turns.

So now my dilemma is, why in the heck was it doing it. I sure do not weigh 150# more like 220# With all Gear on. Not sure what to think, but am a happy camper again. I was almost to the point of getting rid of the bike,

Thanks for all the reply's, It made me go back and just start over.

Todd
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm thinking you might have been experiancing what I was with the wallowing in hard cornering. I am thinking that with too much preload the bike just wasnt planting down at all so the center of gravity isnt lowering down etc. Now that it compresses as I corner it plants and no more wallow. I am not a suspension expert by any means and this just my seat of the pants feel.

I never met anyone that knows I don't like them.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode