I want to ride my Versys, but... Part 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I want to ride my Versys, but... Part 2

Well, I've had the bike for 15 days now and finally had a chance to ride into work. Bike fired right up, rode into the office, no problem. Headed out 3 hours later during lunch, hit the starter and the bike caught but didn't keep running. No problem. Hit the starter again... Long story short, I'm back to turning over strongly but she won't fire. With the added bonus of being in the parking lot at work rather than my garage. I'm thinking it's time to get a trailer and take it to the dealer. Whatever the reason, I can't be rolling the dice that the next start attempt will leave me without a vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 PM

you did check the kill switch by the throttle? has gas?

sometimes people fiddle with stuff while you're away....

I remember an efi honda I laid down, then picked it up and it wouldn't start in oncoming traffic... after pushing it to the side of the road and wondering wtf, I found out later the key needed to be on-off cycled to reset the tip sensor that shuts down the fuel pump...always read your manual..lol

Last edited by scooter650; 05-17-2012 at 05:33 PM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes, thanks. I was thinking the same thing so did a quick check to make sure all was still well with all the switches. Like I said, it fired initially and I thought it was going to start so released the starter. After that, no joy.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't recall if you said it's brand new or not, but your plan sounds good to me. Apparently something randomly nasty is wrong and should be attended to - by the dealership. They generally run reliably for more than 15 days!

In my experience, the Versys is (almost) as reliable as a stone. However, unless you're a talented mechanic, there is probably too much magical electronic stuff attached to the engine to make a quick and lasting fix unless it's patently obvious - at least for me that's the case.

Oh, another thought. At the risk of offending you, was the side stand completely up? I had that experience (at the local BMW dealership of all places - with people watching me) and learned to check that the side stand was completely retracted.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 05-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM

I have found that if the bike does not fire on first attempt it's pointless to keep trying to crank it over. Turn the key off then on again to re-pressurize the injectors before trying to start it up again. This has always worked for me, although honestly it fires up 98% of the time on the first try.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Arion, yes - it's basically new; 2411 miles and under warranty until Aug 14th. If it was out of warranty I'd be much more inclined to take it home. Like you say, these motors in general and bikes in particular are known to be pretty reliable. They should start more than 50% of the time.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mt. - I know I tried the second start without turning off the key, but then I let it sit for a bit with the key off and tried again. No luck. But I will keep that in mind for subsequent start attempts.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM

Sounds like you've got a problem in your Air-Fuel-Spark system... Check and makes sure there arent any hoses crimped, make sure your spark plug housing is snug.. Sounds almost like a lack of fuel issue... Has it been sitting long or over winter? Wondering if maybe you have a gummed up injector...

If it started firing, then didn't, that could be electrical too... hmm, a dealer would probably be a good idea

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I agree, it almost sounds like no fuel. Then again, sometimes it runs fine. According to the PO, he and his son rode it frequently and we have no "off season" here in SoCal. I did add a gallon of gas just in case - have two bars showing on the display. I'm taking it in tomorrow so hopefully I'll have an answer next week.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM

Had a similar problem with my RT recently. It was water in the fuel.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
you did check the kill switch by the throttle? has gas?...
NOTHIN' happens if your kill switch is OFF when you hit the starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Oh, another thought. At the risk of offending you, was the side stand completely up? I had that experience (at the local BMW dealership of all places - with people watching me) and learned to check that the side stand was completely retracted....
See ABOVE response. Again, nothin' happens....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again all. No idea yet; dropped it off at the dealer today. They likely won't get to it until Monday.

Spackler - very well could be something like that. I debated bringing it home for the weekend and tinkering more, but since I had to get a trailer anyway figured might as well take it to the dealer and let them have a crack at it. I may end up paying for labor if it's something stupid, but at least I'll be able to ride it.

Fast Eddie - concur. The starter works fine, engine turns over strongly - just won't start.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 PM

It may be your Vehicle Down Sensor (VDS). Some blokes in my country have faulty ones, especially during high humidity conditions such as riding in the rain for some time. Give it a tap or two to knock the sensor free if there's anything stuck inside it.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
It may be your Vehicle Down Sensor (VDS). Some blokes in my country have faulty ones, especially during high humidity conditions such as riding in the rain for some time. Give it a tap or two to knock the sensor free if there's anything stuck inside it.
Nope. That sensor will not allow the bike to turn over. His bike tries to start(cranks over) just wont fire. I am guessing bad gas personally.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Hawkshot - concur with the vehicle down sensor. And the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if you aren't correct about the bad gas. As I mentioned to Spackler above, I may be kicking myself a bit for not bringing it home and working on it some more. But then again, as I mentioned in my earlier post I did get an FI light when I initially brought it home so maybe there's more to it. I will definitely post the diagnosis when I hear back from the dealer.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 AM

Read recently about a "clutch switch". There's actually an electrical plug that goes into the clutch lever housing. It may possibly be loose.

I don't know enough about what it does so don't know how the bike would act if it were loose. But did read someone saying the bike wouldn't start and it had to do with that?
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Read recently about a "clutch switch". There's actually an electrical plug that goes into the clutch lever housing. It may possibly be loose.
It is not a clutch Switch, or a kickstand or anything that when it is not working the bike does not crank. His bike cranks over, meaning EVERY SAFETY SWITCH WORKS.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
It is not a clutch Switch, or a kickstand or anything that when it is not working the bike does not crank. His bike cranks over, meaning EVERY SAFETY SWITCH WORKS.
Listen, with a faulty clutch switch, THE BIKE WILL STILL CRANK!

Why don't you figure out what you're talking about before you start yelling at someone and telling them HOW WRONG THEY ARE! WHEN IT'S YOU THAT'S WRONG!
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Listen, with a faulty clutch switch, THE BIKE WILL STILL CRANK!

Why don't you figure out what you're talking about before you start yelling at someone and telling them HOW WRONG THEY ARE! WHEN IT'S YOU THAT'S WRONG!
Went and messed around with my V. In neutral bike starts with the clutch switch connected or unhooked. In gear it will not turn over. Just like I said, before. If his switch was bad, it would still start in neutral, or it wouldn't even crank if in gear.

08' Versys
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 PM

and the OP is trying to start it how? do you know? do I know? does anyone but them know?

that's the point. We're all just trying to help. No one needs to be yelling at no one, un-called for and unnecessary. I'll be sure to not add my thoughts to threads you start with any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode