Another Kickstand Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Kickstand Question

Ok, so let me try to explain this.

When I put the kickstand down on my 2011 v and lean the bike over on it, the bottom of the stand will move out and away from the bike about a half inch before it takes the full weight of the bike. It's almost like the bolt holding the stand is loose. I have checked the kickstand bolt and it seems to be tight.

Is this normal with the versys kickstand?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Versys View Post
...Is this normal with the versys kickstand?
Yes, at least it IS on both my '08 and '09 Vs.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM

My KLR did that to the point the stand hit swing arm and left a deep scratch, I took the stand off and bent the two sides where it "forks" the frame bracket in to stop it. Might be the same problem on your V. I don't think I could have pulled it back in by tightening to bolt. I likely would have just striped it out as I had to pound on it with a 5 pound hammer to bend it back in! Sometimes B.F.I. and big hammer IS your friend!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Mine does it as well as most. I pull the kickstand (out) away from the bike and set it down. That's it! If you don't, you can be walking away and the bike will jolt and scare the $*&t out of you!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Mine does it as well as most. I pull the kickstand (out) away from the bike and set it down. That's it! If you don't, you can be walking away and the bike will jolt and scare the $*&t out of you!
+1 - it's normal ops.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
MTS

Yes, I have talked about this a couple of times on other threads. Kick it out with your foot to get max lean in the wind.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 PM

For additional peace of mind, put a Speedy's Bigfoot on it.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Speedy Gonzalez- Motowerk's Flatfoot helps... By the way, have you seen a Bigfoot lately?

http://shop.motowerk.com/Standard-Fl...-KV-FF-STD.htm

There actually are sidestand Bigfoot available that could work too (requires welding).

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...%20Bigfoot.htm

I just welded a homemade one on the bottom to increase its height by about 1/2" as well.

It is normal to be able to tilt stock sidestand out by about 1.25" at the tip. You can pull it out with your foot when you park it on the sidestand, to have it settled that way. The spring pulls it back in when there's no weigh on the sidestand.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That is exactly what happened to me.....LOL.....I just about threw my back out when I twisted around so fast to grab the bike.....I thought it was going over on it's side as the stand dropped into position after I got off it. Anybody that saw me must have thought I was half nuts!!

Thanks letting me know this is normal. Now that I know to expect it, I won't have to make anymore superman leaps back towards the bike!!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650

Last edited by NS_Versys; 05-10-2012 at 07:29 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Versys View Post
I just about threw my back out when I twisted around so fast to grab the bike.....
I think we have all earned our "OH $*&T" badge at one time or another. Welcome to the club!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I think we have all earned our "OH $*&T" badge at one time or another. Welcome to the club!
I think that should be collecting frequent expletive miles in this club
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Yes, I have talked about this a couple of times on other threads. Kick it out with your foot to get max lean in the wind.
This thread isn't that old so I thought I'd revive it Does anyone feel their bike is too upright on the side stand? I do. All my bikes have leaned over quite a bit more. We get a lot of wind here, and I once had my KLR blow over. I would hate for that to happen to the V.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSF View Post
This thread isn't that old so I thought I'd revive it Does anyone feel their bike is too upright on the side stand? I do. All my bikes have leaned over quite a bit more. We get a lot of wind here, and I once had my KLR blow over. I would hate for that to happen to the V.
Mine haven't blown over, but I always try to remember to leave it in "PARK" - 1st gear - whenever I park it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Suggest you get Speedy's Big Foot, and then shorten the kickstand to get the lean angle that you like. I've done this on both my 09 V and 10 V. Works well.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Suggest you get Speedy's Big Foot, and then shorten the kickstand to get the lean angle that you like. I've done this on both my 09 V and 10 V. Works well.
That sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. Did you weld it yourself or did you have someone do it?

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM

I wish I had a dollar for every time that sliding kickstand has done that. I bet I could retire. Or I'll just finally have that heart attack and be done with it all.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
MTS

I agree +1. A little shorter kick stand would allow a good lean. A big wind could and has blown them over!

But would need some form of (Big Foot) to help kick stand sink! As said before kick the stand out and make sure its in 1st gear or she will roll away!

Invader why did you make your longer? Just keeping it inside? I saw a show on Big Foot and they are trying to run him down! And call him in! LOL

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode