Sounds coming from my 2011 V when it is turned off - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds coming from my 2011 V when it is turned off

Has anyone noticed and sounds coming from thier Versys when its turned off? The sound I am hearing sort of sounds like a servo or a small motor turning a small gear. Its hard to explain. The first time I noticed it was one day when i came back from a ride. I parked the V in the garage when I got back. It was probably an hour later I could hear this sound coming from my V as it cooled down. I chalked it up to a thermostate moving due to the bike cooling down and didn't think too much about it.

Then on Sunday, I backed the bike out the garage in preparation for a ride. The bike was not running and had not been running since a couple of days before. It was just sitting there. It had probably been sitting out there for about 30 minutes. I was standing next to it putting on my gear and then again all of a sudden I hear the same sound coming from the bike. It started making the sound as I was standing there. It was not making that sound when I backed it out. I listened for about 10 minutes and it sound continued. Not loud but I could hear it none the less.

Is there something on the Versys that is temperature sensistive and will make a noise just from a slight change in air temperature?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM

If it sounded somewhat similar to the fuel pump priming itself when you turn the key to the on position it is most likely the vapor escaping from the gas tank. I had the same thing happen to me last week and I asked the same question. It sounds too mechanical to be that, but I bet you a fiver it is. Next time it does it open up your tank and expect a whoosh as the pressure normalizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Same here, mine was making wierd high pitch noises and I tracked them to the gas tank relieving pressure. My GSXR 750 used to make the same noises too.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's just the vapor pressure relase valve in your fuel cap that is farting/whistling... It's perfectly normal.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM

Thanks for this thread.... I feel releaved to know what that sound is!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It's just the vapor pressure relase valve in your fuel cap that is farting/whistling... It's perfectly normal.
Thought I had a problem with my ninja 1000 but it just farts with fuel vapor louder than the versys, have found if i open up the petrol cap on the bikes the fart stop
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Thought I had a problem with my ninja 1000 but it just farts with fuel vapor louder than the versys, have found if i open up the petrol cap on the bikes the fart stop
Bigger cc bikes farts louder in NZ

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Bigger cc bikes farts louder in NZ
Its a global problem just like a cow farts louder than me
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I am happy to hear its normal for this bike. Next time I hear the sound I will open the gas cap and see if it stops. Hopefully it does.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Yeah -- and BELIEVE ME -- thats a great sound! My Versys had an issue (2011) when I bought it new in that the gas cap was not venting properly..

Basically after riding the bike for 100 miles, I couldnt even get the cap open there was so much freaking pressure.

Youll notice it more and more on Hot days as well.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Cow farts are one thing but motorcycle farts are deadly to the environment. Don't let the environmentalist find out or they will come in the night and torch our bikes as we sleep.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If the engine is hot the rad fan will continue to run of a min or two after turning the bike off. More likely though it is the gas cap as previously mentioned. I should vent well enough though that you have no issues opening the gas cap. If you do or there is considerable vacuum take it to back to Freedom Cycle while it is under warranty and get them to replace it. Sometimes these will block up on older bikes (it's just a pin sized hole) but not usually an issue on new bikes.

I think there are enough Versys riders in the HRM/NS area to warrant a meet-up/ride. We did something similar when I had a Ninja 500 on the Ex-500.com forum and had 8 riders bikes.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Hey twowheels,
Sounds like a plan! Just let me know the time and place of the meet-up and I will be there.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM

I found a kinked breather hose on my 2011 V. I don't recall any significant farting... But you might want to check your tank breather lines.
More here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18558

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4b View Post
Cow farts are one thing but motorcycle farts are deadly to the environment. Don't let the environmentalist find out or they will come in the night and torch our bikes as we sleep.
Fart tax on cows is no joke here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7646857.stm
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 PM

This is great news! Now we can tell our spouses that those fart noises they hear are coming from our bikes.

Riders, let 'em rip!

2011 Versys (Red)

~~28 Years Bikeless~~

1971 Honda SL350
1976 Honda 550 Four
1974 Honda 450 Twin

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim20141 View Post
This is great news! Now we can tell our spouses that those fart noises they hear are coming from our bikes.

Riders, let 'em rip!
LOL...I usually blame it on the dog but I guess the V will be taking some of the blame from now on!

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 AM

'Fart' is often only used as a term of endearment when the subject is personally well known to the user.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode