Kickstand Q? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Kickstand Q?

I recently purchased a tail bag for my bike and getting on and off became a little bit more complicated. I was kicking my foot over the seat but then I decided to try and stand up on the pegs and swing my leg over the bag to get off while the bike is resting on the side stand, only did it once and then thought to my self.. "Wonder if the kickstand is strong enough for that? ". Tried searching with no avail.
Thank ya

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:12 PM

+1 Good question. I used to do that on my stock setup, but have stopped since adding speedy's peg lowering kit. My feeling is that it's not good practice, but I'm really not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When i first got my Versys i had a hip injury and had to stand on the peg to get my leg over and it has bent the tab where the kickstand attaches had it bent back to normal but it didn't last too long. It leans more than most but stills works.When i park it at the house i put a block under the kickstand.In the garage i have a wheel chock to keep it upright. BTW my weight was 270lbs before gear at the time.

IMG_1169 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 PM

gonna add, I did it for awhile, but didn't like doing it. My stand would suddenly "edge out" farther, and it was pretty scary when it did.

The V is just tall, by itself, so those of us with shorter legs, making it taller... I'm not liking that...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks gonna stop doing it and just hone my ninja skills from now on!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Since I've got a top box and no lowering kit on mine, I stand on the left peg and throw my leg over.Been doing it for a year or so, without any issues.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
Thanks gonna stop doing it and just hone my ninja skills from now on!
I have a 30" inseam and lowered with Speedy's kit. I have a top case so swinging over from the rear is not an option for me anymore.

I grab the left bar with my left hand (for balance), stand back a little and throw my right foot through the gap over the rider seat and rest my calf in the rider seat. This keeps the boot off the seat and clean. I then skip a time or two on the left foot to get closer to the bike as my right foot comes down to the ground. Works well for me and a do the reverse coming off. I have it so down pat now that it is almost a fluid motion and does not look as silly as it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
gonna add, I did it for awhile, but didn't like doing it. My stand would suddenly "edge out" farther, and it was pretty scary when it did.
I make a point when I am resting the bike on the stand to use my foot and pull the kickstand away from the bike as I lower it. This way the kickstand is out and wont jolt as I walk away. Had it do that a time or two before I realized what was going on. Agree, scary as hell.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM
MTS

Just step over the bike! Ok bad joke, six foot three.

Talked about this before and never got any feed back. With your bike on the kick stand grab the handle bar and seat take a little weight of the kick stand and kick the kick stand out another inch or two and allow the bike to lean more. I think its a design flaw! And when its windy I do this all the time!

Like AltzLies said it! This is an issue. Try this so you can lean your bike over a little more. It is far less likely to roll off if you kick the stand out to its farthest out position! No one ever speaks about this design flaw.

If you are under 185 lbs I don't think it would hurt your kick stand!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 05-06-2012 at 08:00 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
Since I've got a top box and no lowering kit on mine, I stand on the left peg and throw my leg over.Been doing it for a year or so, without any issues.
Same for almost 10 months

"Why do I ride?"

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM

I'm 150 lbs wet, so I could do it, had I needed to. But I don't have a top case as of now.. You could always bend your knee and get in between the case and yourself.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 PM

I have had mine since Sept 2010 and have stepped on the peg quite a bit since my gym bag is strapped to the back. I weigh around 202 pounds before gear and have not had any issues. I also have an airhawk seat so it would be difficult to step over the seat.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Im just kicking my leg across the seat ( I have an airhawk aswell ) and do the hop onto the seat, same for getting off, not worth the risk I think

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
I recently purchased a tail bag for my bike and getting on and off became a little bit more complicated. I was kicking my foot over the seat but then I decided to try and stand up on the pegs and swing my leg over the bag to get off while the bike is resting on the side stand, only did it once and then thought to my self.. "Wonder if the kickstand is strong enough for that? ". Tried searching with no avail.
Thank ya
I always ride my V into the garage, put the stand down onto cardboard, then get off and spin the bike around on its stand till it's pointed back out. That's putting the WHOLE 450# onto the stand, so I think it can take YOUR weight when it's on the stand AND 2 tires!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Been getting on mine like a horse for three years with no issues, I weigh 200lbs.

But......I don't hang way off to the left when mounting, I almost have the bike straight up so it doesn't put additional stress on the stand and parts.

Dan
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM

I've been mounting like a horse for three years without a problem. Total weight with gear about 205#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode