Oil change question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil change question

And NOT what you are thinking...I have the oil, filter BUT the dealer was out of the plug washer. Do you think I can get by with reusing the old one? I'd really like to get the first oil change done before I ride anymore. BUT don't want a driping mess either.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Garage
I have yet to change the washer on mine, or any of my vehicles ever.....No problems yet for me.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I have yet to change the washer on mine, or any of my vehicles ever.....No problems yet for me.
+1 Never change em' and no leaks!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM

...me neither....don't see a reason to changed the washer and I have 18000 worry free, trouble free miles on my '09'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I never have, either. I didn't even know that was a suggested practice.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Oil change done, didn't leak all over the place either! I try to take as few of chances with motors as I can. I never understood why people will change oil but not the filter. I have a buddy who swears by Amsol but while he's dumping $80.00 worth of their best in his motor he pnly changes the filter every other time. The filter only cost $8.00.

That little washer cost $.80 for the KLR and about two bucks for the Versys, cheap for peace of mind.

BTW I let the oil settle in the pan a bit and carefully poured it in a gallon jug to recycle and as I was doing so I could see flecks of metal...felt like I was panning for gold. Of course when I pulled the filter it drooled all over the header!

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 PM

Just did my first oil change at 348 mi and reused the seal ring. No leaks. I think I've only ever replace one in my life and it was on one of my old FJ's

Filled the engine with Rotella 5w40 synthetic and the tranny shifts like butter

Last edited by ec90t; 05-02-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: put the wrong oil weight in. Doooooh!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I've been using Rotella 15-40 in the KLR from the 2nd change on...other than one time. A friend thought I was getting TOO cheap and bought me 3 Qts of Castrol. I used it and then when back the Rotella. I mean why not? I change it every 2500 miles. Never seen a motor that could shear oil down as fast as a KLR.

I have 25000 miles on it now and still think it's one of the greatest bikes I've ever owned. Slow...yep but a little tank. That slow is why I bought the Versys.

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM

The factory break-in oil that came out of the bike was clean, but it poured faster than water. I know most manufacturers use a light weight oil in new engines, but man was that ever rediculous.

The next oil change at 1K miles will use the same 5W40 synthetic Rotella and then switch up to 10W40 synthetic there after.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I bought extra washers but the original still works fine.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Oil change done, didn't leak all over the place either! I try to take as few of chances with motors as I can. I never understood why people will change oil but not the filter. I have a buddy who swears by Amsol but while he's dumping $80.00 worth of their best in his motor he pnly changes the filter every other time. The filter only cost $8.00.

That little washer cost $.80 for the KLR and about two bucks for the Versys, cheap for peace of mind.

BTW I let the oil settle in the pan a bit and carefully poured it in a gallon jug to recycle and as I was doing so I could see flecks of metal...felt like I was panning for gold. Of course when I pulled the filter it drooled all over the header!

Put tin foil over the headers. It'll solve the problem

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Noted will do do from now on.

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I bought some copper 1/2" washers (at Napa or O'Reilly), and anneal it after removing the oil, so I can re-use it.

To anneal, heat it RED HOT with a propane torch, then dunk it directly into water. Annealing re-softens the copper so it will seal perfectly again.

Personally, I would NOT re-use an aluminum washer unless I had no other alternative.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I bought some copper 1/2" washers (at Napa or O'Reilly), and anneal it after removing the oil, so I can re-use it.

To anneal, heat it RED HOT with a propane torch, then dunk it directly into water. Annealing re-softens the copper so it will seal perfectly again.

Personally, I would NOT re-use an aluminum washer unless I had no other alternative.
You may want to review your heat treating procedure.
Normally you heat then cool quickly to harden, cool slowly to soften
but keep in mind I'm easily confused

Last edited by BLACK DOG; 05-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
You may want to review your heat treating procecure.
Normally you heat then cool quickly to harden, cool slowly to soften
but keep in mind I'm easily confused
You got it right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode