Beam Me Up, Scotty! I Won!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking Beam Me Up, Scotty! I Won!!

Our local independent BMW repair shop (Motoghost, Phx, AZ) had their Spring open house last Saturday. My husband rides a beautiful 1988 K75. The shop had about 12 vendors there. After visiting each vendor you would get a stamp on a card and then you would turn in the card for a door prize ticket. You could put your tickets into any prize box you wanted and at the end of the day they would draw the winners. I won a set of Vision X Premium white Xenon bulbs! I believe my V take the H& bulb. Am I correct? Also these are 70 watts, is that okay? They come with a lifetime warranty too. This past fall they had an open house and my husband one (twice) buy one tire and get one free including install. So, he got two tires and I got two tires. Only catch was they wouldn't install on my V. But, it was still better than nothing. I'm just so happy, I never win anything.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM

yes, H7 bulb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! the 70 watts is okay too?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 AM

No idea. The headlight on a Versys is not vented that I am aware of, but I really doubt it will melt the lens. I know two 100 watt bulbs will melt a KLR lens though. Try the two 70 watt bulbs, but just watch your lens. BTW, those are a btch to change out. Have to remove the plastic for your knees, tank fairing, gauge cluster front plastic, windshield, headlight basket. . .then manage to get the bulb and boot together. It took me 4 hours to do this.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah they'll be fine. They're just claiming that it has the brightness of a 70 watt bulb. It's just a blue tinted and slightly boosted ~60 watt bulb. The best high power H7 is Osram's Rallye larger 65W H9 burner on an H7 base as I use.

http://www.visionxusa.com/Halogen-Bu..._34/index.html

Last edited by invader; 05-02-2012 at 11:21 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll look at it on my day off and figure that it will be quite a project. At least the bulbs were free.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
BTW, those are a btch to change out. Have to remove the plastic for your knees, tank fairing, gauge cluster front plastic, windshield, headlight basket. . .then manage to get the bulb and boot together. It took me 4 hours to do this.
Good lord! Did they change that much in the front end with the new body style? I can change out my 08 bulbs by merely removing one of the side panels.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I've got an '08 and just kind of looked at it this morning. My hands are small enough to get to both lights without removing anything but, that rubber boot might be a trick. Miguelito, did you remove the right side panel? The service manual shows removing both side panels and then headlamp assy. Don't think all that is necessary.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The only higher power H7 is Osram's Rallye larger 65W H9 burner on an H7 base as I use.
What kind of life are you getting out of your Osram's? And do you have them as both the high and low?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
What kind of life are you getting out of your Osram's? And do you have them as both the high and low?
Osram's Hyper H7 clear 65 watt bulb (bigger H9 burner on H7 base) from their high-wattage rally and professional offroad bulb line offers 2100 lumens (brightness) and a 500 hour life, compared to:

1780 lumens, 340 hours for the Osram Night Breaker
1750 lumens, 350 hours for the Osram Silverstar
(Standard H7: 55 watt, 1500 lumens, 500 hours)

They run hotter and brighter, but last as long as standard 55W H7 bulbs because they are actually a larger clear H9 bulb on H7 base, and not a boosted (~60W) regular sized H7 bulb with blue tint.

I got a pair of the awesome Osram Hyper H7 for both my high and low beams at $21 each plus $8 shipping to Canada from: http://www.suvlights.com/advanced_se...7b8cf5eb003ebc

Last edited by invader; 05-02-2012 at 11:28 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

My husband and I installed the bulbs this morning. We removed the windshield and both body side panels then the headlamp housing. No big deal. wouldn't remove all that again now that I know how the lamps are installed into the housing. It daylight out and they seem much brighter. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like at night. Thanks for everyone's help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode