HELP -- Frame Slider install is giving me fits - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HELP -- Frame Slider install is giving me fits

Hello- I was installing my new T-Rex Frame Sliders on Sunday and ran into a hiccup. The frame slider kit was completely correct, however as I was installing the aftermarket bolt onto the right engine mount the nut that is supposed stay locked in place came loose and started spinning with the bolt. I suspect the nut is aftermarket and didn't fit correctly in the first place. (I am the second owner of the bike.) Now the bolt is stuck on there -- I can't get it off. With the tight positioning of the engine mount it's difficult to get good leverage on the nut to hold it in place to unscrew the bolt. Any suggestions? (Please see the attached pics.)

I am thinking of taking it to a shop to have them grind the nut off, but I'm wondering if there is a solution I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Good Side.jpg (40.6 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Good side 2.jpg (28.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Bad Side 1 (aftermarket lock nut).jpg (53.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Bad Side 2 (aftermarket lock nut).jpg (49.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Bad side 3 (aftermarket lock nut).jpg (43.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Bad Side 4 (aftermarket lock nut).jpg (41.0 KB, 118 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM

You're right... The OEM nut for that position is P/N 92015 and sits in that engine block recess that is designed to keep it from turning. If it's the original nut in there then the recess may be damaged. If it's not the OEM nut you may be in luck and the recess is OK. Getting the offending nut off will be a challenge... Which you've already figured out. I did find a similar situation in another forum concerning an ER-6N... Same nut... Same part number. He got a few suggestions and eventually got it rectified by his dealer I think. Here's the link: http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-650r...ket-bolts.html
Sorry I wasn't more help... But I'm thinking a look-see by the dealer or maybe a machine shop might be in order. There just doesn't seem to be any room to get in there with normal tools to jam that darn spinning nut up tight enough to extract that bolt.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Genehil- I appreciate the feedback. I will investigate the link you sent and talk to my Kawasaki dealer.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I've got somewhat the same problem after putting H-B crash bars on my '08. I figure if I need to get it off I'll take it to a welding shop, DISCONNECT the battery, then have them weld a 5/16 bolt to that nut (at right-angle, of course) long enough to hold it still while removing the bolt.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 AM

Try jamming the nut and the engine body with a flat tip screwdriver.
Then try turning open the bolt head.

It you don't need the bolt and nut anymore, a long cold chisel and a good whack will cut open the nut.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...then have them weld a 5/16 bolt to that nut (at right-angle, of course) long enough to hold it still while removing the bolt.:
Maybe a ***SMALL*** spot of J-B Weld on the spinning nut - to stick it to the engine block long enough to extract the bolt might do the trick. Just enough to do the job but still be able to knock the freed nut off the block, once the bolt is out... Or you might be able to J-B weld a bolt to the spinner, like fasteddie suggested, and hold the spinner still long enough to get the bolt out and do it all in the comfort of your own garage/driveway.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 05-02-2012 at 07:11 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Try jamming the nut and the engine body with a flat tip screwdriver.
Then try turning open the bolt head....
Tried it, but "no joy".

And I'm not sure I'd whack a cold chisel onto that nut, where, IF it slips, you'll end up with a "ventilated crankcase"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 AM

Good point that but that's what I did to removed my jammed slider when my dad crashed my 2008 V. Like all things, gotta be careful.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode