dumb question about electronics - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
dumb question about electronics

So I just bought a 12v universal adapter from my local Walmart, which I am going to use for my old Garmin Nuvi gps. I ran my GPS wire from my handle bars down under the front fairing to the underside of the seat. Under the seat, I put the 12v adapter, attached directly to the battery. The question is - in order to not completely drain my battery overnight - do I have to unplug the Garmin charger from the adapter, or is it okay to simply unplug my GPS from the handlebar side and leave the other end connected? I hope the way I am asking this makes sense. Basically I need to know if I need to take my seat off every night and unplug it, or if I can just unhook the GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM

I believe if just the GPS is unhooked you're fine... What alot of people will say is wire it into something requiring the key to be on (lights ignition etc).. Little more work but worth it, you wont have to worry about unplugging things or draining your battery

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 AM

2 things I would note in your post.

1. You didn't mention installing a fuse near the battery. If you did not, I recommend putting one on the + side as close to the battery as practical. If your wiring gets damaged, the fuse will blow before getting things really hot and potentially making a mess.

Photo of fuse behind the battery:

2. Chargers have a very small current draw even if not plugged into the device under charge. If you left it plugged in for a long period of time, it could drain the battery.

I got tired of removing my seat so I did this.

I also use this socket for my battery maintainer over the winter as it is always wired hot, not switched.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Wow Kirk I really like the way you did yours. I might revisit this sometime this week after seeing it and realizing how bad mine is haha. I'm new to wiring my own stuff, so quick question - installing a fuse... just buy a fuse, break the wire, strip it, and shove the two ends into the fuse? Is there anything else to it? I might go do that tonight if it's that simple...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyFeet View Post
Wow Kirk I really like the way you did yours. I might revisit this sometime this week after seeing it and realizing how bad mine is haha. I'm new to wiring my own stuff, so quick question - installing a fuse... just buy a fuse, break the wire, strip it, and shove the two ends into the fuse? Is there anything else to it? I might go do that tonight if it's that simple...
Basically you need a fuse and a fuser holder (The part that the fuse plugs into so you can change it if it blows). The one I used, I picked up at an auto parts store. Just go ask for "an inline fuse & holder". It will have two wires comming out in some fashion. Just run your +12V (RED) through the fuse (In one wire, through the fuse and out the second wire) and on to your device. To go this route, you will need to solder or crimp the wires.

I attached another photo of a similar style fuse & holder. Any style will work. I prefer the automotive style "blade" fuse over the older style glass tube fuse.

& Let me know if you need any help on this or the socket up front project!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewFuseBox.jpg (16.0 KB, 49 views)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Basically you need a fuse and a fuser holder (The part that the fuse plugs into so you can change it if it blows). The one I used, I picked up at an auto parts store. Just go ask for "an inline fuse & holder". It will have two wires comming out in some fashion. Just run your +12V (RED) through the fuse (In one wire, through the fuse and out the second wire) and on to your device. To go this route, you will need to solder or crimp the wires.

I attached another photo of a similar style fuse & holder. Any style will work. I prefer the automotive style "blade" fuse over the older style glass tube fuse.

& Let me know if you need any help on this or the socket up front project!
Another option that I took - use a battery tender + SAE to 12v Socket Dongle - mainly because I suck with electric wiring and dont trust myself: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18998

This way its "easy" -- always on - which I prefer. But you also get the inline fuse and easy disconnect!

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Another option that I took - use a battery tender + SAE to 12v Socket Dongle - mainly because I suck with electric wiring and dont trust myself: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18998

This way its "easy" -- always on - which I prefer. But you also get the inline fuse and easy disconnect!
Wow I wish I knew such a thing existed before. I already installed a battery tender so that would make it SO easy. I might rip out the work I did last night in favor of one of those. Just need a spot to mount it! Thanks for the link!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post

Great idea! Easy too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode