Making a Garmin route - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Making a Garmin route

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 and love it. But I have never really been able to make a route on my computer and transfer it to the GPS. I usually just enter a address and it handles the rest.

When I went on a group ride through here someone made a file and sent it around to all the riders.

Looking online I find many ways on how to make them, and just as many saing that the other ways dont work. So how do I do it?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM

I use microsoft streets and trips. Once you have your route made up, click on date, export to GPX file. Then hook your garmin up to your computer with a usb cable. Go to my computer>Garmin>GPX (there are a few files/folders at this point) drag your .gpx file from where ever you saved it and drip it into the GPX folder of your Garmin 550. Do not put it in the archive folder in the gpx folder, just put it in the gpx folder. When it has transferred, unplug your garmin. It will ask you to manage new date. hit ok, then select your route and put it in routes. You can now hit where to, routes, and then your route you created.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM

I use Garmin Mapsource Roads and Recreation. Very straightforward to create the route and one easy click to transfer to GPS.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM

This is how I do it using a Zumo 660:
I'm using my Firefox browser which has a GMapToGPX link on the tool bar (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/)
1: I plot out the trip using Google Maps.
2: Once I have the route mapped out on the way I want it to be - on Google Maps, I click the GMapToGPX link on my toolbar which then generates a GPX file.
3: I click the "Full" tab which makes the GPX file much longer as it displays each and every direction change along the route.
4: I select ALL and Copy the contents of the GPX file to Notepad so I can save it as a text type document..
5: Inside the GPX file I change it's NAME to what I want it to be named (from the default name it was given when the GPX file was generated in Step 2 above). That line is near the top of the file between the "name" "/name" brackets.
6: I save this GPX file to my hard drive as an appropriately named .gpx file. (Not a .txt file... but a .gpx file.)
7: I then go to my MapSource program and open the .gpx file I just saved in Step 6 above.
8: Once that .gpx file is open in MapSource I transfer it to my Zumo660 using the "Transfer" button.
9: Last step is to disconnect my Zumo660 from my laptop... fire it up and import the route so it will be one of my "where to" choices.
I just mapped out a 19 day trip - 5500+ miles from Panama City, FL to Billings, MT this way. It consisted of 8 days getting to Billings... Two days in Billings... and then 9 days back to Panama city, FL. A total of 17 different routes. Using GPSVisualizer - I was able to generate a Google Earth .kmz file which can be used to visualize all of the routes either in Google Earth or in Google Maps.
Here is my kmz file for the entire trip: http://hilsheimer.org/images/versys/...m_Billings.kmz
You can download that file and open it into Google Earth, or you can copy that URL (by right clicking on it) and put it into the Google Maps search box and it should display my proposed July routes.
Hopefully, this link will open up Google Maps with my kmz already loaded... displaying all of my 17 routes (days) that are planned for July - http://g.co/maps/wnyqu
I planned all 17 routes using Google Maps... Converted those maps into GPX files using GMapToGPX... then used my MapSource program to load all 17 maps into my Garmin Zumo660.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM

I use the harley davidson ride planner, there a lot of good rides on there that others post and you can coppy the gpx file right from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode