650r ECU on a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
650r ECU on a Versys?

Last year the ECU on my 09 versys took a crap only after 2,000 miles. At the time I wasn't exactly sure it was the ECU as my ECU was telling me the problem I was having was the tip over sensor switch. It wasn't until I gave it to a motorcycle mechanic friend of mine that he found it was truly the ECU. At the time we couldn't find any ECU's to buy used and I didn't feel like spending the waping $450 dollars on a brand new one. Soooo... he put a 650r ECU in instead. it fixed the problem but now I'm starting to have stalling problems with the bike and I'm beginning to wonder if the 650r's ECU is causing my engine harm.

The stalling problem as of now I feel has been a slowly compounding one. I first saw it on a trip I was on at high altitude in cold temperatures. This after having ridden the bike with new ECU for at least 2,000 miles with no issues. When the bike and temp outside were cold it would start but then instantly die. It would run so long as I opened the throttle and ran it at 2,500-3,000 rpm to warm it up. I did also notice that the bike was rapidly coming out of the "fast idle warm up" rpms. The problem persisted so long as it was cold outside, but not when it was warm. The problem has recently shown up now even when its warm outside and when the bike is warmed up. So now the issue is it needs to be assisted on starts even on warm days, once warm (20-30 minutes of riding) it rides fine, but pulling up to or sitting at stop lights it will still periodically stall at idle. I have to shut the key off and reset it in order for it to start up. Just to clarify my hot idle speed is above the 1300 rpms suggested. I have 8,200 miles on it, and though it is recomended at 7,500, I have not changed the spark plugs or cleaned the air filter, but can't imagine that would cause this. I also have an after market slip-on exhaust installed.

Any thoughts or experience with this kind of issue?

I'd rather be riding, I mean flying....riding....eh whichever.

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
92' Yamaha XT 600 supermoto
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

C-130 Hercules USAFR "Fly Air Force"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hercpilot; 04-25-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
So the FI lamp doesn't come on when the problems occur? It can go on momentarily and store a trouble code in memory, which you can check by grounding the self-diagnisis bullet connector.

Replace spark plugs, clean and re-oil air filter properly, check and adjust valve clearances, and check for vacuum leaks, etc, then check and adjust throttle bodies' synchronization (vacuum balance) at 1300 rpm idle.
Check water temperature sensor while replacing your coolant.

Inlet Air Temperature Sensor Resistance Inspection
•Remove the inlet air temperature sensor (on airbox).
•Suspend the sensor in a container of machine oil so that the heat-sensitive portion is submerged.
•Suspend a thermometer with the heat-sensitive portions located in almost the same depth with the sensor.
NOTE
○The sensor and thermometer must not touch the container side or bottom.
•Place the container over a source of heat and gradually raise the temperature of the oil while stirring the oil gently for even temperature.
•Using a digital meter, measure the internal resistance of the sensor across the terminals at the temperatures shown in the following.

Inlet Air Temperature Sensor Resistance
Standard: 5.4 ∼ 6.6 kΩ at 0C (32F)
0.29 ∼ 0.39 kΩ at 80C (176F)
If the measurement is out of the range, replace the sensor.

Water Temperature Sensor Inspection
•Remove the water temperature sensor
•Suspend the sensor in a container of coolant so that the threaded portion is submerged.
•Suspend an accurate thermometer with temperature sensing portions located in almost the same depth.
NOTE
○The sensor and thermometer must not touch the container side or bottom.
•Place the container over a source of heat and gradually raise the temperature of the coolant while stirring the coolant gently.
•Using the hand tester, measure the internal resistance of the sensor.
If the hand tester does not show the specified values, replace the sensor.

Water Temperature Sensor Resistance
Temperature / Resistance (kΩ)
–20C (–4F) * / 18.80 2.37
0C (32F) * / (About 6.544)
40C (104F) / 1.136 0.095
100C (212F) / 0.1553 0.0070
*: Reference Information

Water Temperature Sensor Removal/Installation
CAUTION
Never drop the sensor, especially on a hard surface. Such a shock to the sensor can damage it.
•Drain the coolant (see Coolant Change in the Periodic Maintenance chapter).
•Disconnect the sensor connector, and unscrew the water temperature sensor.
Torque - Water Temperature Sensor: 12 Nm (1.2 kgfm, 106 inlb / 8.83 ftlb)
•Apply grease to new O-ring on the water temperature sensor.
•Fill the engine with coolant and bleed the air from the cooling system (see Coolant Change in the Periodic Maintenance chapter).

Last edited by invader; 04-25-2012 at 03:58 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
So the FI lamp doesn't come on when the problems occur? It can go on momentarily and store a trouble code in memory, which you can check by grounding the self-diagnisis bullet connector.
It does not. I wish it did! That is how I found the first problem with the bike. There is no sign, and the 650r ecu is the only thing that I can imagine that would cause the bike to run differently. Its my understanding that though they are similar bikes, the cams are different and the tuning is also different and I'm wondering if that difference is whats making mine run funny now.

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 AM

There is only a very slight difference in ignition timing and fuel metering. It did run fine at first with 650R/ER6 ECU.

You only need to do the mentioned maintenance, and you can check your inlet air temperature sensor and water temperature sensor, and make sure everything is properly hooked up, connected, and tightened, etc.

Last edited by invader; 04-25-2012 at 03:35 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
There is only a very slight difference in ignition timing and fuel metering. It did run fine at first with ER6 ECU.

You only need to do the mentioned maintenance, and you can check your inlet air temperature sensor and water temperature sensor, and make sure everything is properly hooked up, connected, and tightened, etc.
I will definitely do all the recommended steps. I have recently ordered a used ECU from a wrecked 09 versys so I will at least have piece of mind on that being correct. Thanks for the feed back!

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 AM

By the way, check TB synchronization only right after fully completing tune up with new spark plugs and adjusted valve clearances.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

will do!

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM

There may be little if any difference between the two ECUs, but why are you messing around with something like this? This is when you go to your dealer and have the problem fixed. It sounds like you have some other faulty sensors.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Versys View Post
There may be little if any difference between the two ECUs, but why are you messing around with something like this? This is when you go to your dealer and have the problem fixed. It sounds like you have some other faulty sensors.
No thanks on the dealers. Why pay an ass-ton of money and wait weeks when I can achieve the same outcome in my own shop and enjoy the work in the process. To be honest I posted this here just to see if anyone else had ever put a 650r ECU on one and to see what they had observed. Actually I fixed the problem today. I put an 09 Versys ECU back in it and it ran like a champ. I did also change the spark plugs, filter, and checked all sensors but I made sure the fix was the ECU first. Note to self and anyone else in a pinch. Never use the ECU from the 650r. Though it maybe similar, the slight difference will make it run like crap down the road. But no harm no foul, it runs like a top now!

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

Last edited by hercpilot; 04-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM

hercpilot - good that you are up and running again. It can be frustrating when something is "just not right" and you can't get it resolved in a reasonable amount of time ( like 30 minutes).

Enjoy the V.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

You said it toofer!! And thanks its good to have the green beast back to normal.

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 PM

Why did your original ECU fail? Was it only the ECU's tip-over internal circuit that was bad?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercpilot View Post
You said it toofer!! And thanks its good to have the green beast back to normal.
Hey there "hercpilot" - me = 3,000+ hours on the E models from '69 to '74.

Helluva'n airplane!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Why did your original ECU fail? Was it only the ECU's tip-over internal circuit that was bad?
Not sure why it originally failed. It died while riding and when diagnosed through the self testing it told me the tip over switch was bad. But after some messing around the entire ECU just died. Couldn't even start the bike.

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Hey there "hercpilot" - me = 3,000+ hours on the E models from '69 to '74.

Helluva'n airplane!
Hey there! I have a few hours on the old E's from initial qual at Little rock. She is an ugly beast but its a good kind of ugly!

Current:
73' CB350 Cafe
99' GSX-R Track Bike
03' CBR 600rr
09' Kawasaki Versys
Previous:
88' CBR 600 Hurricane
99' CBR 600 F4
09' BMW X-Country

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...rsys&_osacat=0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode