Speedys kit and sag - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedys kit and sag

So I lowered the V with speedys kit. Do you think I can lower the bike a little more by adjusting sag for my wife? It's her bike...just wasn't sure how much sag setting effects seat height.

Last edited by tommyt37; 04-24-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: stupid spelling
tommyt37 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,648
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
If you can find a low gel seat that will help out the wife.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you can find a low gel seat that will help out the wife.
thanks... maybe I can work a trade or something with this corbin I have... we are going to play around with cutting the stock seat down as well. damn though 519 for a new gel! ahh!

Last edited by tommyt37; 04-24-2012 at 10:35 PM.
tommyt37 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you can find a low gel seat that will help out the wife.
You know I am guessing the gel seat uses the same seat pad as the stock just less foam and a thin gel insert...maybe cutting down the stocker will work... mmmmmm I have seen a few threads in here of some folks doing that I wonder if I can knock 1.5 inches off.
tommyt37 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ and WV
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dropped my stock seat by at least two inches: Removed the stock foam completely and replaced it with a layer of memory foam and gel (glued together), then overlayed by thin foam to keep the gel from sticking to the seat cover. You can experiment with thickness, for comfort, but make sure to keep about a 3" by 5" cutout in the center for tail-bone comfort. Also, leave about one-inch vacant space in the rear, to allow the seat to slope toward rear. Perhaps put some padding on the front slope to push rider back, if needed. I found this more comfortable than a gel seat, and way cheaper.
ScottyNeal is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ and WV
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You can also lower the bike another 30mm (1.25 inches) by replacing the OEM shock spring with a HyperPro progressive lowering-spring. If you want to do this, you should also replace the front springs with Hyperpro progressive lowering-springs. And, of course, follow Speedy's instructions and raise the front forks by 20mm.

I've done all this on both an 09V and a 10V. The ride is much improved with the progressive springs. The seat height is dropped around 1 5/8" with Speedy's kit, another 1 1/4" with the HyperPro spring, another 2" with the seat mod; for overall lowered seat height of around five inches. Both these bikes ride extremely well. Very smooth. I tested them up 90 mph and found no problems.
ScottyNeal is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ and WV
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BTW, the HyperPro springs plus Michelin PR3 tires give an amazing ride.
ScottyNeal is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
You can also lower the bike another 30mm (1.25 inches) by replacing the OEM shock spring with a HyperPro progressive lowering-spring. If you want to do this, you should also replace the front springs with Hyperpro progressive lowering-springs. And, of course, follow Speedy's instructions and raise the front forks by 20mm.

I've done all this on both an 09V and a 10V. The ride is much improved with the progressive springs. The seat height is dropped around 1 5/8" with Speedy's kit, another 1 1/4" with the HyperPro spring, another 2" with the seat mod; for overall lowered seat height of around five inches. Both these bikes ride extremely well. Very smooth. I tested them up 90 mph and found no problems.
Dude awesome reply thanks man. I will do the seat mod with her first. Not sure about all the springs yet as that will cost some coin and now that I rode my wifes V I want to sell my Vulcan meanstreak and buy one for myself. ;-)

Thanks again
tommyt37 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I dropped my stock seat by at least two inches: Removed the stock foam completely and replaced it with a layer of memory foam and gel (glued together), then overlayed by thin foam to keep the gel from sticking to the seat cover. You can experiment with thickness, for comfort, but make sure to keep about a 3" by 5" cutout in the center for tail-bone comfort. Also, leave about one-inch vacant space in the rear, to allow the seat to slope toward rear. Perhaps put some padding on the front slope to push rider back, if needed. I found this more comfortable than a gel seat, and way cheaper.
btw where did you get your materials for the seat?
tommyt37 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ and WV
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here's a link for gel: http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm
Go to the bottom of the page and get the 17 1/2" by 17" gel pad. Before ordering, call them and tell them you'd like the gel pad to be glued to memory foam. Remove all the OEM padding, cut the gel like I suggest above.

Here's a link that gives lots of suggestions for modifying your seat: http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php
It's a link to several other links that are useful.

Good Luck!
ScottyNeal is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Here's a link for gel: http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm
Go to the bottom of the page and get the 17 1/2" by 17" gel pad. Before ordering, call them and tell them you'd like the gel pad to be glued to memory foam. Remove all the OEM padding, cut the gel like I suggest above.

Here's a link that gives lots of suggestions for modifying your seat: http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php
It's a link to several other links that are useful.

Good Luck!
One quick question you said keep a 3" x 5" cut out in the center for comfort. Is your seat pretty much the same thickness then? Because 17 1/2 by 17 is a good size area wise. When you mention the 3x5 do you mean to make it a little thicker there then the other areas?
tommyt37 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ and WV
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't very clear. I suggested the large piece to be used to cut what's needed to cover your seat. You should have a little left over. You could make a cardboard pattern, and use it to cut out the gel. I used a 3/4" thick memory foam against the plastic seat base, then a 3/4" gel over the memory foam, then a very thin (1/8") over the gel to keep it from sticking to the seat cover. So, overall it's around 1 1/2" thick. It will improve the comfort by leaving about 1" at the rear of the seat without any padding; and also make a cut-out of 3" wide by 5" long in the center of the seat, at the rear of the padding. That way, the seat will be supporting more your butt and less the tailbone. Also, use some of the padding in the front curved part to push the rider back, as needed. Experiment and change the padding to get the seat comfortable for you. I took my seat apart several times to get it like I wanted. Customize it to your (or your wife's) body. It's easy to remove staples and re-staple. After a couple of times, you'll find it's no problem. I used a $15 hand stapler and 1/4" staples ($5). Good Luck. Enjoy.
ScottyNeal is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ and WV
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BTW, I suggest you only work on the front part of the seat: only remove the staples from the front - leaving the passenger portion in place.
ScottyNeal is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I wasn't very clear. I suggested the large piece to be used to cut what's needed to cover your seat. You should have a little left over. You could make a cardboard pattern, and use it to cut out the gel. I used a 3/4" thick memory foam against the plastic seat base, then a 3/4" gel over the memory foam, then a very thin (1/8") over the gel to keep it from sticking to the seat cover. So, overall it's around 1 1/2" thick. It will improve the comfort by leaving about 1" at the rear of the seat without any padding; and also make a cut-out of 3" wide by 5" long in the center of the seat, at the rear of the padding. That way, the seat will be supporting more your butt and less the tailbone. Also, use some of the padding in the front curved part to push the rider back, as needed. Experiment and change the padding to get the seat comfortable for you. I took my seat apart several times to get it like I wanted. Customize it to your (or your wife's) body. It's easy to remove staples and re-staple. After a couple of times, you'll find it's no problem. I used a $15 hand stapler and 1/4" staples ($5). Good Luck. Enjoy.
thanks again man will be doing this in a few weeks. I have a corbin on there right now all ready have the staples off the stocker, front part only. Gonna order that gel for 90 bucks from Havasu... sucks my step dad was down there visiting his mom and the day you told me about where to get gel I saw they were based out of havasu but he flew out all ready that day lol.

Will let you know how it comes out and will take some pics..... might as well
tommyt37 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
tommyt37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
BTW, I suggest you only work on the front part of the seat: only remove the staples from the front - leaving the passenger portion in place.
I saw from some old posts in here that you said you got your gel from wal mart for 19 bucks did you take it out and go with that company from havasu?
tommyt37 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome