Hello everyone,

Here are the upfront facts:

2008 Versys
11,500 miles
Bought with 10,000 miles on odometer
Unknown maintenance prior to purchase
I live in ABQ New Mexico, elevation 5600 ft ASL
I have a Yoshimura exhaust installed

I filled up my V today and when I calculated my mileage, I came up with 36.6 MPG. I had 166 miles on the odometer, and put exactly 4.5 gallons in the tank. This seemed extremely low as I expected these bikes to get in the mid to high 40's MPG.

Most of my driving is within a few miles of my house with minimal long distance highway driving. I live and work on a military base. 99% of my driving is around the town and on base.

I dont accelerate heavy and try to keep the RPM's somewhat low.

I know living at elevation takes a toll on my automobiles, but not at the percentage this is off.

I dont know if the spark plugs were changed, nor what other maintenance was performed prior to my purchase last fall.

What kind of mileage are all of you getting and at this mileage, should I change the spark plugs? The bike seems to be running real good.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Be sure to check your air pressures in the tires, a low tire can change your MPG bigtime.

MPG Figures:
Avg 46-48 id say
When i'm railing on it- Low 40's
Highest ive ever gotten -57
Lowest- ive seen 38 before but that was basically start/stop 50% of the time and railing on it on backroads the other 50%

Plugs might help, Another thing to factor in is your Yoshi. My mileage dropped quite a bit when i had the CS One on my bike, its back to stock right now for inspection and i realized how much slower the gas gauge goes down when the stock pipe is on it lol...

I'd say the Elevation plus your Yoshi is knocking your potential mpg down a good chunk

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I average 55 miles per US gallon. New spark plugs will help. They were due for replacement at 7500 miles. Also, is your air filter dirty or over-oiled? Clean and re-oil it when you replace your spark plugs. What type of engine oil do you use? Do you have stock gearing? If geared taller, you're actually travelling more miles per gallon than indicated.
Large windscreen and hanguards, etc will also affect fuel efficiency, especially at higher speeds.

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Hello everyone,

Here are the upfront facts:

2008 Versys
11,500 miles
Bought with 10,000 miles on odometer

Most of my driving is within a few miles of my house with minimal long
This could be your problem... Short trips are worse on gas mileage. Hwy mileage will obviously be much better. Also, early after startup some of the energy in the gasoline is used just to get the bike up to operating temps... Try a tankfull at hwy speeds and then check you mpg again...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I may change out the spark plugs and look at my air filter again. I did oil it last fall before I put the bike away for the winter; however I could have over oiled it. Is their a fuel filter on these bikes? I wonder if I need to change it.
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM
DR_

Typically I get around 50mpg but I can get a lot better if on a flat road and a lot worse if in the hills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM

I'm getting 42, but I have panniers (extra weight and less aerodynamic) and it's been a little cool at a low elevation. I also drive a little fast on the highway, around 70 when air resistance starts getting high.

Bikes: 2008 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - RIP 1999 Suzuki Katana
Cars: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2007 Subaru Forester XTs
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I may change out the spark plugs and look at my air filter again. I did oil it last fall before I put the bike away for the winter; however I could have over oiled it. Is their a fuel filter on these bikes? I wonder if I need to change it.
No replacable fuel filter. Only a pemanent filter 'sock' on the in-tank fuel pump.
It'd be good to check your valve clearances too, then synchronize the throttle bodies (vacuum balance).

What engine oil are you using, and how's the level?

Last edited by invader; 04-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM

I ride mostly in stop-and-go traffic, twisting the throttle like a madman, and my average mpg is around 39. I get better mileage in my diesel Jetta, which weighs probably five times as much as the bike.

When touring (interstate highways and the Blue Ridge Parkway), I average around 47 mpg.
aemacleod likes this.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM

High altitude - 54mpg

I live in Boulder, CO and my riding varies between 5100 and 10,000 feet elevation. On my most recent tank of gas I pulled 54 mpg and that was with a mix of canyons, highway, and stop-and-go riding.

For reference, I'm not a heavy guy (~165bs fully geared-up) and I do have a Givi windscreen. I believe both of these things make a difference. Also, I have about 5000 miles on my 2009 model.

2009 Versys
SW Motech Engine Gaurds, SW Motech Alu Rack, KTM handgaurds, Custom iPhone mount with Powerlet and heated grip switch
post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM

Here's stats on 31 Versys at Fuelly.com:

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kaw...20650%20versys

Median is 48 mpg.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM

I keep fuel records for business. My Versys average fuel economy over 18,000 miles is 51.2 mpg. Highest 58.8 (gas station to gas station on a Sunday ride on VT and MA back roads), lowest 40.1 (spirited ride on a c-c-c-c-c-cold day).

In my experience, highway riding, heavy throttle twisting and cold temperatures raise fuel consumption significantly.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM

My fuel useage (2009 model, 11,000 km, stock) averages around 45 mpg, but more often than not, it is in the lower 40's as I just cannot resist the grunty surge when I crack the throttle wide open. My 45 km commute is replete with twisties, hills and freeway (130 km/h), so lots of opportunity to abuse the fuel consumption. Compared to my '98 Durango getting 14 mpg, it is a delightful reward...
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM

Mine was just under 35 mpg last fillup. I just got the bike used with 10k and am a bit concerned about it. I'm not conservative with my right wrist but I don't do wheelies out of stoplights either. Sea level in FL, mostly city riding but a few short jaunts down A1A as well.
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thats again everyone for your input. My gearing is all stock. I do have a Givi screen and pelican saddlebags. My oil is standard synthetic oil bought brom Cyclegear and my gearing is all stock. I will probably check the oil filter and change spark plugs. I may go ahead and drop a k&N Air Filter in it to maybe help with breathing issues and potential increase in MPG.
post #16 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Thats again everyone for your input. My gearing is all stock. I do have a Givi screen and pelican saddlebags. My oil is standard synthetic oil bought brom Cyclegear and my gearing is all stock. I will probably check the oil filter and change spark plugs. I may go ahead and drop a k&N Air Filter in it to maybe help with breathing issues and potential increase in MPG.
report back on your findings please
post #17 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Ive only put about 500 miles on my 09 (It has less than 800 total miles on it). Ive filled it up 3 times. The first fill up I got 48mpg, the second fill up I got 49mpg, the third one I got 50mpg. Overall thats better than I expected for a new engine although I did expect that it would gradually get better as the engine broke in.
It should be noted that most of my riding is secondary roads at speeds of 60mph or less and I babied it the first 500+- miles as per break in suggestions. It has a Flip windshield and Givi bags, Im about 220lbs and Im usually solo. And its a green one so not only is it faster but it gets better mpg.
Im happy averaging 49 on a fresh engine. Thats about what I got on my previous bike (06 KLR). The best tank I ever got on the KLR was 52, the worst was 48.

Last edited by ray h; 04-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.
post #18 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 PM

Late to the party again, will spit out the numbers anyway:

Winter: 40 mpg
Summer: 47 mpg
Mostly commuting, which is riding at 75-80 mph mixed with stop-and-go traffic. When not blocked by other traffic, I accelerate hard. If I wanted good gas mileage, I would go ride a motorcycle or something.
aemacleod likes this.
post #19 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM

I'm averaging 50.8 mpg over the last five fill-ups. I've got no luggage except an Icon tank bag. I weigh 200 lbs and most of my riding has been on highways (55 to 65 mph). The weather has been in the mid 70's to low 80's for the past month here.
post #20 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM

I'm taking mine in for a service in the next couple days. Will report on what they find. I'm suspecting worn spark plugs as part of the mileage problem. Who knows what for the ticking noise I'm hearing. I don't think the two are related. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode