Spocket Change - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spocket Change

For those of you that have done either a front or rear sprocket change, tell me what you did and what the results were, in particular your freeway RPM reduction. I'd guess that with a +1 front or -3 rear that rpms would drop by 400 or so on the slab. Is this what you are seeing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM

See this thread for starters.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=sprocket

Also, on my current one I did the 44T rear. On my prior one I did a 16T front. On my current one the actual speed is still less than indicated at highway speed. I believe this was not the case with my 16T.

I have a 16T for sale here.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I also did the 16T front. The speed is right on with the gps. I believe at freeway speed the rpm dropped right around 500 rpm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 AM

My 44T arrived this afternoon. Waiting on my jack stands that have been shipped according to Amazon.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 AM

I've been swapping between the stock rear 46T sprocket and a Supersprox 44T one this year. I love the instant punch the oe rear gives and it really is good for tearing around the country roads here in Ireland. The 44T sprocket drops the revs by about 500rpm and aids motorway cruising a bit making the bike slightly less frenzied and, according to my GPS, the speedo bang on to within 1 mph.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 AM

Would have anticipated some rpm drop, maybe about 200 or so, but not 500. That's quite a drop if that's what it is... and much better for general hiway riding imo. One reason I went with less teeth is to reduce rpms and many posts saying the bike performs so much better with a 44T, in all the gears. Except the initial kick from a standstill. I am looking forward to the mentioned better range in each gear, specifically the lower gears.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 AM

44 tooth rear gave me the feeling of a whole new bike. I can stay in every gear a little longer, for a more relaxed ride. GPS is spot on with speedo. I do not miss the OEM 46 tooth rear sprocket. 1st gear lasted about 15 feet and I was shifting into second. Now I make it through the intersection before shifting into 2nd.

If you are looking for acceleration only, stay stock. If you are looking more for a peppy commuter, give it a try. Easy swap to see what you think!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. Is there any benefit to doing a front instead of a rear change? I do not do that kind of wrenching, so I'd have a shop do it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Is there any benefit to doing a front instead of a rear change? I do not do that kind of wrenching, so I'd have a shop do it.
I had a dealer put on a 16T on my last Versys during a service which included a chain adjustment (so I didn't have to pay separately for that, only for the sprocket install). You need a power wrench to get the bolt off.

My plan was to do the same this time. However, since the rear wheel could be pulled with hand tools, and since it was documented well here, I dedicated to try to be brave and change the rear sprocket myself. It took me about twice as long as documented since it took me a while to get the axle back in.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM

I just don't like a dealer / shop working on my bikes unless there might be some hugh repair that I don't have the tools to fix..But I've been working on stuff since way way back..I can take my time and make sure things are done right, a mechanic hasn't got the time to be particular as I am...

With that said, you can accomplish the spocket change without any problem, just following the link provided...

As stated above the 44T will drop your rpm 500...Alot better smooth /cruising speeds, but coming from Vtwins this Versys is smooth as butter with the 46T anyway...

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm really not that much of a mechanic, but I determined that a front sprocket change would be both easier and more economical. Although I did have a bit of a hard time breaking the front sprocket nut, a three-foot piece of conduit pipe attached to the proper socket wrench did the job. I also did the same on my previous ride (Ninja 250).

I don't recall what the rpms were prior to the change, but now rpms are 5000 at 70 mph. I think it was a drop of about 500 at that speed. I've been very satisfied with the change. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
I'm really not that much of a mechanic, but I determined that a front sprocket change would be both easier and more economical. Although I did have a bit of a hard time breaking the front sprocket nut, a three-foot piece of conduit pipe attached to the proper socket wrench did the job. I also did the same on my previous ride (Ninja 250).

I don't recall what the rpms were prior to the change, but now rpms are 5000 at 70 mph. I think it was a drop of about 500 at that speed. I've been very satisfied with the change. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks. Your RPMs probably read the same at an indicated 70. Mine was showing 5K at 70 yesterday, but with the switch you will be doing an ACTUAL 70 at 5K. That's probably very close to a 500 RPM drop.

Are you an MCPO? Is that what the name is all about?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I had my front sprocket put on at the dealership. Took an half hour and cost $44.00. Money well spent......

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Your RPMs probably read the same at an indicated 70. Mine was showing 5K at 70 yesterday, but with the switch you will be doing an ACTUAL 70 at 5K. That's probably very close to a 500 RPM drop.

Are you an MCPO? Is that what the name is all about?
If I understand correctly, "MCPO" stands for a police officer from some specific location? If so, I am not a police officer (not that there's anything wrong with that) . "M" is for my first name, and the rest is my last name.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
"MCPO" stands for a police officer from some specific location?
For us Navy folk, MCPO means Master Chief Petty Officer.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
My 44T arrived this afternoon. Waiting on my jack stands that have been shipped according to Amazon.
This was 5 days ago. My jack stand arrived the next day, and I replaced my rear sprocket. Took me about 1 hour total as I had never done this before, but I had the correct socket sizes 22mm and 1 1/16 " to replace the 27mm.

Did not get time to ride as it began to rain when I was done, and we had family visiting this weekend. Today I had a chance to get the bike out of the neighborhood on the highway. I LOVE IT... 44T 4 ME.

My sprocket is this one: Shipping was very fast less than 3 days.
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1030...-kawasaki.html
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
My sprocket is this one: Shipping was very fast less than 3 days.
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1030...-kawasaki.html
I do not have this sprocket, but I can say that sprocketcenter.com provided me with a fine set of sprockets and a chain (and I am not involved with them in any other way). If you also go to gearingcommander.com you can investigate the wear characteristics of various changes (e.g. if you move to a 43-tooth rear with a standard front sprocket you should choose a 112-link chain for the best wear characteristics).
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 AM

I've had a 44 on the back for a couple of years now and I do think it's the preferable set-up if you are riding mainly on the street. You can still get good drive out of corners, etc. with this set-up by dropping a gear. But I'm starting to use the bike more off-road so I'll be going back to stock gearing, mainly for the ability to plonk along in first. With 44, first gear is pretty tall.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
For us Navy folk, MCPO means Master Chief Petty Officer.
Coast Guard too
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Coast Guard too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode