Banshee Horn Install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Banshee Horn Install

Here are the pictures I promised of the Banshee Horn install on my 2011 V. I apologize for the long delay but my internet was out for a while and I finally got it repaired.

This is the control box for the system.
bike1.jpg

I chose to mount the special relay close to the control box so therefore I was forced to splice into the stock horn wires a little higher on the bike.
bike2.jpg

This is where I grounded the control box. This is under the upper bolt for the LH silver Fairing. The box to the lower left of the ground wire is the special relay. In this picture it is temporarily attached with string. It has since been attached with a zip tie.
bike3.jpg

bike5.jpg

This is the only place I could find to mount the horn itself. I had to replace the stock allen bolt for a longer phillips screw.
bike7.jpg

bike6.jpg
I chose to use quick splices for the special relay needed for the V. I chose to splice into the horn wires a little higher due to the wires for the relay are not very long. I personally do not care for the location I have the horn itself mounted but as far as I can tell that is the only place you can mount the horn with the supplied bracket. I am planning on fabricating a new bracket for it. I would like to mount it utilizing the bolt that holds the brake lines over the front tire.

Last edited by jagrugger; 04-14-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I don't know how much room there is under the left fairing on the 10 and up models but On a gen 1 versys you can squeeze it in under the left fairing...keeps it out of the weather....

I was going to install my Banshee on my Gen 1 KLR....there really is NO good place for an airhorn on that bike....I may end up using a Hella instead...

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

I have not checked, but I read somewhere that the Banshee website has other brackets to help with install. I think I tried that but it will be worth looking into again. My biggest concern about where it is now is that if I drop it on that side that horn will be toast.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks for posting the pics, and thanks for Beta Testing!
All works as designed now?
I was looking at mount locations and it is tough. I think I'll take offcamber's advice and pull the fairing cover to see about fitting under there.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
...I was going to install my Banshee on my Gen 1 KLR....there really is NO good place for an airhorn on that bike....I may end up using a Hella instead...
WRONG! I mounted my Stebel behind the radiator-overflow on the right side of my '04KLR, under the sidecover. That way it's well protected from weather, etc. Sorry - can't find pics right now!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to shikataganai
Below are my install pics. On my '08 there was a nice place to mount the horn on the right side of the bike but for the cost of an extra M6 bolt.

Tools needed:

- Wire stripper. Not optional.
- Something to use to crimp wire ends on, which may or may not be the wire stripper itself, or a Vise Grips type wrench that can also be used when hooking up the high beam wire (see photo caption below).
- Anything needed to take off bodywork on one's bike.
- Extra zipties for wire routing.
- Multimeter, unless you can magically tell which horn and high beam wire is the positive one. I can't.

Time needed: took me a few hours, but I was lazing about in the sun in the driveway rather than working nonstop.

Anyway, the photos:

Weeny stock horn seen under the radiator. It stays in place with the Banshee setup, although one must muck about with its wiring, test which line is + and which is ground with a multimeter, etc.

New Banshee-branded airhorn, which is not a Stebel although resembles one closely.

Closeup of mounting bracket. Note grounding wire (for the horn itself) behind a few washers, which are there in turn to space out the back of the horn from the engine a few more millimeters.

Control unit ziptied in place, before any of its colored leads were routed laboriously through the bodywork (and ziptied down at intervals) to their respective destinations.

The red lead goes to the battery's positive terminal. Note that it's a crowded place: the other two positive hangers-on are for the battery tender harness and my heated gear. I had to fish out a longer M6 bolt from my toolbox to make it work. The control unit is grounded to the bike's frame, not to the negative battery terminal.

Orange lead goes to the positive terminal on the air horn. As above, the negative terminal on the air horn is grounded to the frame, not the battery.

Yellow lead is spliced into the positive lead for the high beam. I had to poke around with the multimeter to find which one this was, just as with the stock horn.

Once located, it still was a minor pain in the ass to get the yellow lead hooked up to the high beam positive wire. Cramped quarters! Pro tip: use a Vise Grips type wrench to shove the metal bridging/piercing connector down once all ducks are in a row, then close the plastic cover. You'll never be able to get enough leverage with the cover to shove the metal bridge through the wires otherwise.

The one thing I neglected to take a photo of is the lead going down to the stock horn. There one must figure out which lead is positive with the multimeter and then use the piggyback connector. (In other words, don't use the fancy piggyback connector for hooking up the air horn earlier! :lol: I did this but salvaged it rather than heading off to Radio Shack or busting out the soldering iron.)

I'll have a video demonstrating the sound and sights before and after installation as soon as the Banshee folks get me the correct part to get it all working right--yeah, it's not functional at the moment.

As it sits now I know everything's wired properly since when it actuates the high beam flashes and the air horn pulses. The problem is that it actuates as soon as I turn the key to the "on" position. (This is a known issue for pre-May production run units with certain motorcycles and they'll send out a free part to fix it.)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
WRONG! I mounted my Stebel behind the radiator-overflow on the right side of my '04KLR, under the sidecover. That way it's well protected from weather, etc. Sorry - can't find pics right now!

I said no GOOD place...I ruled that location out for couple of reasons....its very close to the header pipe, that and its proximity to the engine means it would be exposed to a lot of heat. It will really only fit one way in that space without moving other things and mounting it would be problematic. Keep in mind the Banshee does not use a Stebel, it looks like a Wolo... the compressor and horn do not separate. Have to mount it as a single unit. So if you solved the heat and mounting problems I'd like to see the solution.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle

Last edited by offcamber; 04-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM

I think it looks good where it is-tell people it's the wastegate for your turbo
Is that thing really loud? I mean like train whistle loud or car horn loud?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I have not tested its true decibel level but the website said it was 135 db. I have mine set to pulse so the brights flash and the horn cycles on and off. Personally I would prefer to have the bright lights flash and the horn constant but it is not so. But to answer your question yes it is loud, I did not warn my wife I was testing it in the garage and it made her jump!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to shikataganai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post
I think it looks good where it is-tell people it's the wastegate for your turbo
Is that thing really loud? I mean like train whistle loud or car horn loud?
Here's your answer (this is my video, from my just-completed installation):

Note my finger over my ear. I had my riding earplugs (-35 dB) in, too!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Did you have an issue with your horn and lights flashing as soon as you turned the ignition on. If so how did you correct it? I just installed mine yesterday and it did just that. I read they have had that issue on some bikes and will send you a part to fix it. My V is an 09.

Update: saw your post on ADVrider that answered my question....

Halfthrottle

Last edited by offcamber; 04-23-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode