Glad i did not take my front sprocket off. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Glad i did not take my front sprocket off.

Due to issues i have seen with people taking the front sprocket off for the first time, went into the shop to have them do it. I borrowed one of there rear wheel stands and took off the rear wheel and took off the old sprocket but the poor young mechanic had a lot of problems getting off the front. He tried with air gun and had me stand on rear brake and we had a wooden block through rear wheel, after advice from a thread here and cheers invader i had brought a 6 point 1 1/16 socket for the job and the mechanic used that with a long pipe on the breaker bar and it let go with a crack after about 15 min of battling and he fell back on his butt. I am sure it was torqued greater than 92 ftlb, he then borrowed my torque wrench and torqued new front sprocket up to 92 then he used air to get off and no problems so we guessing the kawasaki factory over torques!! I am not the mechanic but i had to tell him the torque settings.

After all that he did not charge me any time as we had agreed they were going to charge 30 min or $30.00

The kit for chain and sprockets cost me $240.00 NZ which is $196.00 US

Below is photos of the oem rear 46 t which was changed at 15,000 km on the left and the 44 t which ran on with original chain and original front sprocket from 15,000 to 27,000 km on the right.

Now the mighty V is already for my lovely wife to use on her first big trip on the V, photos to come after next sat ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Glad you got her done!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's even easier with the sprocket lock trick which takes the spring out of it, also to torque it back on to 92 ft-lbs... Care must be taken if blocking the rear wheel with wood stud, by wrapping it and positioning it properly to prevent denting the swingarm.
Although mine was also stuck on tight, but it was fast and easy by handling the socket and breaker bar correctly (supporting socket with one hand while pushing on breaker bar with the other hand to keep the forces aligned), and by applying fantastic muscle power.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...2&d=1269196076

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Wow I had no idea it would be such a pain. I still have the stockers on both ends. Will have to get the right tools as I just bought new set of sprockets and chain.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM

I happen to have a 1 1/16" socket that I bought to remove the anode rod in my water heater. That's the standard size for anode rods. So, if you have a buddy who is a plumber, he probably has a socket you can borrow.

George
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM

I think the factory uses red locktite on the front sprocket. Heating it up is probably the way to go.

CJ
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM

sprockets tend to be bike 101. If one of us couldn't figure it out, a bit of forum usually gets us on the right path...if the shop couldn't do it (figure it out) i'd be looking for a new shop, never to return to that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode