Handlebar weight nuts - what they called? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to leshall Send a message via Skype™ to leshall
Handlebar weight nuts - what they called?

The stock handlebars have threaded ends so the weights just screw in there. I have replaced mine with a Renthal but it has just got open ends. WHat kind of bolt or nut or whatever do I need to attachify them?

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Les,

There are a couple of different designs depending on whether you are using steel bars or aluminum. I'm assuming your Renthals are aluminum.

These bolt inserts from Tusk (store brand for RockyMountainATV.com) work with either bar design.

Most handguard manufacturers also include and/or sell separately inserts of similar design. Some (like Moose) have separate inserts for steel or aluminum. The version for steel bars looks like the Tusk inserts in that they have a rubber tube that buckles out when tightened to hold the guard. The aluminum-specific insert is made of two pieces of aluminum tubing cut at an angle. As the bolt is tighten, the pieces slide against one another and sort of slide sideways and out, effectively increasing the outer diameter of the assembly. This puts pressure on the inner diameter of the bars and hold the bolt (and handguard) solidly.

With all of that said, you can't go wrong with Tusk stuff. It's cheap and always well made. My Acerbis handguards are held on with Tusk brackets on the other end. See here. These were a lot cheaper than the corresponding Acerbis part, and they have done a great job.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 AM

Les:

What was the reason for the swap of stock to the Renthal's? Was it comfort, cosmetic, weight? Just wondering whether this would be something worth doing. Any issues with tank and or windshield clearance?

Chris:

Aren't there weights in the stock bar ends. Did you notice any additional vibration when you replace the stock ends with the Tusk ends? Are you using the stock bars?

Thanks

Roger

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocanad View Post
Chris:

Aren't there weights in the stock bar ends. Did you notice any additional vibration when you replace the stock ends with the Tusk ends? Are you using the stock bars?
Roger, I haven't looked too closely into the end of the bars, but my assumption is that it's mostly just a nut welded in there. It was that way on a KLX250S that I had a couple of years ago. Most of the weight in the stock setup comes from the true bar end attachments.

Some folks leave those on with the handguards. There are two ways this is done, I think. Some put the stock bar end weight between the outlet of the handlebar and the guard as a spacer. This has the benefit of moving the guard out quite a bit to avoid any possible windscreen fitment issues. Others install the handguards and then put the bar end weights on the outside of the setup.

I did neither. I just trashed the bar ends and run with just handguards. I have not noticed any increase in vibration, but then again, I'm coming from a KLR650, which is reputed to be one of the kings of vibration. Even on that I did not have a problem, so I guess I'm immune to vibration or something.

I am using the stock bars, but will probably swap soon to get a little more rise and a little less sweep or pullback (I don't know what it's called).

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to leshall Send a message via Skype™ to leshall
Yeah there's a little nut welded in the end.

Roger - I swapped out because I wanted a little more height & width and thought it would look cool. OK so I mostly swapped because I thought it would look cool. There is definitely a difference and it reminds me more of riding an old XL than before. I like the wide arm posture, think I find it less tiring.

I have a Vario wind shield and have no issues AND I have hand guards on. Without thinking I drilled some extra holes in the windshield to try raising it some. That worked fine but then I had clearance issues so had to drop it back down. Some bar/guard/shield combos are worse for some people.

Thanks Chris for the bolt info. I'll check them out.

I felt a little difference in the vibes - just a little. I want to re-attach to see if it makes any difference.

Les
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode