7500 mile service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
7500 mile service

I am a little late on my 7500 mile service (got 9500 on it). Although I have changed the oil. Can anyone guesstimate what this service ran them. Just asking cause this one looks to be a little more in depth than the others, and just trying to get a ball park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I changed the oil, lubed the clutch cable and the tires needed changing so put some new ones on it. That the only 7500 mile service i did to mine.... Did change the plugs and put in a BMC airfilter at 9000 miles

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-19-2012 at 11:58 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 PM

Whatever they decide to charge you. Varies by shop, but it will be at least $50 an hour. My Dad's Yamaha Vstar valve adjustment would cost $580, but we did it in our own garage for the cost of a few beers and time. I'm not sure about a Versys because I work on my own stuff as much as possible because I don't want another man's hands on my pride and joy. It's kind of like letting some random guy take your girlfriend out. Do you really trust them and know what they are doing?

IBA # 49372

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Valves aren't checked on the V till 15,000 miles. I would normally do a lot of this stuff, but work has me pretty busy for the next two months, and I really don't want to hassle with it myself. The biggest thing I need them to do is check the engine vacuum sync, check the air filter, and the spark plugs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 AM

I wouldn't worry about the plugs unless you've been really banging on the engine. The air filter you can do yourself in about an hours time, even if you're slow and methodical like myself. As to the vacuum sync, its not terribly difficult, but if you have to take it in to a dealer for anything it may as well be that. I couldn't see them charging more than the minimum for that (most shops have a 2 hour minimum labor charge).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Normally, I could handle taking the tank off to check the filter and plugs, but thought that since they would have to do it to check the vacuum sync, might as well have them check the other two thinks while they were at it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 AM

I just had the local Kawi shop do my 7500 mile service (at 8000 miles) and it cost me $223. Changed oil (put in synthetic), cleaned and serviced air filter, vacuum synchronized the throttle body, cleaned and lubed chain and adjusted my warm idle speed (was too low). It took them a couple of hours. Seems to start better in the morning now.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypgn View Post
I just had the local Kawi shop do my 7500 mile service (at 8000 miles) and it cost me $223. Changed oil (put in synthetic), cleaned and serviced air filter, vacuum synchronized the throttle body, cleaned and lubed chain and adjusted my warm idle speed (was too low). It took them a couple of hours. Seems to start better in the morning now.

That's good new's, so I figure mine should run much more than around 100 bucks. Thanks for your reply.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM

If they have the right tool, they don't actually have to take the tank off (or anything at all actually if I remember correctly) to do the sync :-)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM

The shop manual has a complete service list and interval. Why not just go by that?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
The shop manual has a complete service list and interval. Why not just go by that?
Yeah, well I think he knew what needed to be done, just hadn't got it done yet. Looking to allay his fears on the bill.
On that note, I had my local independent (Kawi Certified) shop do my 22.5 service plus check the valves (OK!) - $120.
I supplied the plugs.
I did the 7.5 myself kind of just as a "get acquainted" exercise and to see how hard it was to get at everything. Not too bad I guess, by modern bike standards- though cleaning and re-oiling the filter per instructions was a pain. And I left it too oily, got busted on it at the first valve check (12k- tight on 6 of 8).
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, I really don't know what to expect now! Just wanted the guy to do the vac sync, check the air filter and clean if needed, check the plugs, and lube up the cables since it was there anyways. He told me, the air filter check wasn't worth it, and to just change it out at 12,000 because it was a paper filter anyways!? I told him I am pretty sure it's a foam filter, and he said, no all newer bikes are going to paper filters! Not to argue I was like whatever, just do the throttle sync and check the plugs. He said it's FI right? I told him yes, and he says he doesn't think FI needs to be synced! I had him pull out the service manual, and then he answered his own question. A picture of the "foam" filter on the page before the sync.......he said I guess the bike wasn't new enough to get a paper filter, so he would check it out. God I hate LA and these back woods people! P. S. I am from AR so I can say that! LOL.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM

My dealer said they would "check" the plugs too. I told him that if they were taking them out anyway to just replace them. Plugs are cheap and there was no additional labor cost. It seemed pointless to pay the labor to check them. I can afford the plugs.
My bike had been hard to start (excessive cranking and then stalling right away) and the 7500 mile service and idle speed adjustment cured that. Happy girl now (me and the bike).

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode