Coolant Leak? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coolant Leak?

I have a green 2009 Versys with approx 6000 miles. While cleaning the bike last weekend, I noticed some white residue around the weep hole on the water pump. The bike does not drip coolant on the floor and there is no residue on the plastic cowling. Since this is the first time I inspected the bottom side of the water pump, I don't know when or how long ago the coolant residue accumulated around the weep hole. I cleaned the area and started the engine and let the bike reach full operating temp, then I shut off the bike and the area around the weep hole was dry. Is this something to be concerned about? Is this normal for the water pump to seep coolant?

Jim

09 Kawasaki Versys - Green
07 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 PM

It's not 'normal', but several of us had the leak. I believe it's a ceramic seal that is the problem. I had mine replaced under warranty.
Several posts here-> http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...archid=1157515

Vulcan 1700 Classic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM

I've got about 13,000 miles on my 09 V. It has a little white residue at the bottom of the pump, but the coolant has never gone down. Never had a cooling issue, either.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Went for a ride today (approx 10 miles), got home and let the bike cool down a little, then I inspected the weep hole and no signs of leakage. Tomorrow I'll ride to the dealer and have them inspect the weep hole. If there is a leak, I'll leave the bike with them, if not, I'll ride home. Is it possible that the leak gets better with time? The engine sure runs a lot smoother after I've accumulated some miles.

Jim

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 AM

LOOSE HOSE CLAMP
I went through this at approx. 7000 miles.
I didn't want to take any chances so I took it to my dealer.
In the end...all it was is a loose hose clamp!
DoH!!!!!
But the peace of mind was priceless!
BTW...11,000 miles later and...no leaks.
Check those hose clamps! and perhaps save a hour of labor cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 03-23-2012 at 04:59 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Update - Rode 40 miles to the dealer today and had the service manager evaluate the bike after it cooled down. Not even a drop leaked from the water pump. The dealer said that they can replace the seals but unless the water pump is leaking, he said it's better not to mess with it. The service manager also said it's common to see coolant weeping from the water pump on new Kawasaki bikes, right out the crate. My bike is covered by an extended warrantee until mid 2015, so I guess I'll just ride, enjoy the bike and not worry about it.

Jim

Last edited by jharrissocal; 03-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quick update on the water pump, ignored the problem and the leak seemed to go away as I put miles on the bike. 1.5 years later, I'm riding in 105 degree temps and the water pump started driping at a steady rate so I rode the Versys to the dealer and had the entire water pump replaced under warrantee. Now, nothing comes out of the weep hole. Lesson to the story, the problem does not go away. Better to fix it now than later.

Jim

Last edited by jharrissocal; 09-17-2013 at 10:51 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 PM

I neglected to fully inspect my new 2012 V until I got it home. It only had 11 miles on the clock and I noticed a crusty green trail from the weep hole across the case and down on the oil filter. It would very slowly weep when up to normal temp.

It went back to the dealer ASAP and they had to replace all the water pump seals / o-rings as apparently there was a paint chip stuck in the main seal. Seems just fine now...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That makes sense... I removed flaking paint behind water pump and behind thermostat as well. Mine did have some trace of dried coolant at weep wole when delivered new, but my original seals are still fine after cleaning and greasing when I flushed cooling system with distilled water, then refilled with LL coolant. It's also good to check hose clamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Any corroding aluminum residue may be only leftover from the original machining and assembly process... I also removed the water pump cover and impeller when I flushed mine out to clean and grease the seals, and removed some engine paint overspray that was flaking off in the water passage inlet and at the outlet behind thermostat... Apply grease to cover O-ring as well when reinstalling. I had to replace thermostat cover O-ring that had shrunk and hardened, after removing cover.

Last edited by invader; 09-17-2013 at 11:49 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 AM

I recently installed the Thermo-Bob on my bike which basically required removing every coolant hose. Under every hose, fitting, and seal there was flaking black paint over spray.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM

First tighten the clamp, if the leak continues is problem on seals

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrissocal View Post
Update - Rode 40 miles to the dealer today and had the service manager evaluate the bike after it cooled down. Not even a drop leaked from the water pump. The dealer said that they can replace the seals but unless the water pump is leaking, he said it's better not to mess with it. The service manager also said it's common to see coolant weeping from the water pump on new Kawasaki bikes, right out the crate. My bike is covered by an extended warrantee until mid 2015, so I guess I'll just ride, enjoy the bike and not worry about it.
Glad you got it fixed ok. however your service manager is full of it
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 AM

In all the years servicing brand new cars in many different franchises, I have never seen a new water pump leaking at the drain hole. Is there an issue with poorly manufactured Kawasaki water pumps?. The service manager at the Kawasaki dealership should have just changed the pump, full stop, instead of fobbing you off. If its leaking, there is a problem. Fix it. Stupid reasoning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode