Clutch cable - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch cable

Ok, so today I tried to lube my clutch cable due to the harsh pull it has. Got the cable out of the lever, and attached the "lube tool" with the cable pull out the other side, clamped the tool down, and hooked up the can of lube. Unfortunately, no lube ever cam out the other side, actually I think it was all coming out of the lube tool and onto my rag. Any special instructions I am missing on this? I would hate to take it to the dealer just to lube my clutch cable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white26golf View Post
Any special instructions I am missing on this? I would hate to take it to the dealer just to lube my clutch cable!
Its messy business. it took me 20 minutes of using the tool, squirt, move the cable, suirt, move the cable.... Finally what worked better than the tool for me was wrapping the straw from the lube can with a latex glove (like the doctors use) and using another latex glove on my left hand to grip the tight wrapped straw/cable and squirt away. It finally came out the other end onto the rag I had waiting.

I don't think there is a no mess way to do it.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

About how long of constant spraying did it take before it came out the other end? I don't mind it being messy, as long as I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
When i did mine i cut the tube in half that comes with the lube. Made it easier to handle then wrapped the tool completly in the rag with just the tube sticking out. That way the rag catches the overspray i sprayed for 5 seconds waited a couple of minutes and sprayed again for another 5 to 8 seconds waited abit and the lube began to come out the other end.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

That's what I did too, minus cutting the tube, and the last spray was for a good 20 seconds, and nothing on the other end.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM

I probably had a good minute of constant spray if I added up all the short bursts.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Sounds crazy, but I prefer to actually take my cable off the bike and run the lube from the other end. The cable end that goes to the lever is really designed to restrict things going in and the other end is designed to let things out which also makes a great way to put lube in. Takes a little longer, but less mess and more effective.

Cheers!

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM

If that thing has a harsh pull, no doubt you have to do the re-route thing before it frays. I use the lube tool. No problems, just a couple of blasts. It may be coming out the mid point adjuster or give it a day or two to work it's way out the other end ( then it takes forever to stop).
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Good thread, I had the same issue with lubing from the top end. I'll give it another try next weekend.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
no doubt you have to do the re-route thing before it frays.
What's the re-route thing?
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
What's the re-route thing?
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...k+clutch+cable

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

I will try to re-lube it this afternoon. If that doesn't work for me, I will try to reroute it. I never paid the clutch pull much attention, but my wife's Ninja 500's pull is so much smoother, I assumed mine needed to be lubed. By the way, for the guys that don't use Cable Life, or PJ-1. What do you use to lube the cable?

Last edited by white26golf; 03-14-2012 at 06:08 AM.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Chain lube works well. I use my Maxima synthetic Chain Guard (nor Chain Wax).
You can't expect the lube to penetrate that quickly in the cable housing. You have to give it time to slowly makes its way in while working the inner cable in and out. Lube the cable end barrel that pivots in the lever, and the lever's main pivot point as well.

Last edited by invader; 03-14-2012 at 06:17 AM.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Which do you guys think would be better to use, Lithium spray grease, or Dupont teflon multi use spray?
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 AM

I've tried to find this in the owners manual and the service manual... but how often should this be done?

The manuals indicate it as a part of maintenance but not a time frame (that I can see...)?
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
GDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by white26golf View Post
By the way, for the guys that don't use Cable Life, or PJ-1. What do you use to lube the cable?
I *think* http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Dri-Slide-4oz-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B001F2Y25G is the stuff I'm using. I bought mine over 20 years ago, and it came in a tin back then, so the container is different. This stuff is really thin. You shake the container to mix the lube particles in with the liquid. There's a ball inside like in an aersol spray-paint can. The liquid drys quickly leaving a graphite-like powder on the cable. This stuff works great for lubing locks and other things where you really don't want oily residue.

I don't use a lubing tool. I just point the spout at a portion of bare cable and it sort of wicks into the sheath. It doesn't take very long, and there's stuff coming out the lower end. It's very easy to apply.

GDI
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Thank-you!

Looks like the PO did some re-routing already. I'm going to replace the cable myself soon (leaving the old one zip tied in for emergencies), and I'll use this info....

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 PM

The secret to the cable lube tools is to jam the straw into the port as hard as you can. If you just stick it on there, it'll spray everywhere. If you cram it in there good, it works a lot better.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 PM

After using the cable lube tool over the years (on several bikes) I have learned a couple of things that make lubing go much quicker and easier:

1) You really have to look at (and feel) how you are clamping the tool onto the cable sheath. If you don't get the cable sheath and the space in the tool aligned correctly - you won't get much flow lubricant, if any. (I remove the cable end and cable sheath from the clutch lever housing first).

1.5) You can minimize the mess and increase the "pumping" by really clamping down hard with the "thumb screws", assuming everything is alligned correctly

2) If, after 10 seconds of "spraying", you don't hear a gurgling, burbling hiss from down below - see step 1.

3) I don't worry about what leaks out the lower end. Just look away, then go ride.

4) I lube it 2 times per year, and ride about 5,000 miles/year.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 PM

get a new cable

I just got online a new OEM Kawasaki cable for less then $18.

For $18 a new one is not worth lubing the old one.
Lubing tool + lube spray = almost the same as I spent for the new cable.
Get a new one, reroute it & have this done in less time than lubing the old one.

Also, can't do a very good lube job on those cables; they have a plastic layer insert & won't let a lot of lube to be sprayed in.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode