Nasty Noise on Start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nasty Noise on Start

This problem just started about 4-5 days ago. When I start the bike after it sits overnight or for a few hours it makes a nasty sound, plus it takes a second or two longer to catch. It's difficult to describe as I don't have an extensive mechanical background. The sound is kind of like a cough or a metallic sound that seems like it is coming from the front lower area of the bike. It does not do this after the engine has been warmed. The bike has 4k miles on it, 800 or so miles on the oil (at the mid-line in the window). I have used nothing but 93 octane fuel except for two weeks ago I put 87, then went back to 93 on the last tank (about a week ago). I run the tank pretty low before filling it usually, so I would think if it was bad fuel it would have burned off from the 87 tank sufficiently. I always let the fuel pump prime before starting. Sometimes the bike is in neutral and sometimes I have it in 1st with the clutch pulled in. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? And, I did try replacing the battery with a new one to no avail. Thanks for any leads you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Any way you could post a video of it doing this?

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Try getting someone to help to start her up in the morning.
Someone to press the "start" switch while you listen to pin point where the sound comes from. Think it's the starter.

IMHO,if you depress the "Start" button for a second or two a little while AFTER ignition the starter will briefly kick in... while not recommended that you do this often (or for very long) you can check and see if the noise is the same to reassure yourself if it's the starter.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Any way you could post a video of it doing this?
That's the joke; every time I try to record the sound it doesn't do it. So, I guess I should try to record it every morning and it just won't do it again right? j/k ;-)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 AM

I have been experiencing exactly same problem past 2-3 weeks, and it aint getting better... mine is the 09 model, currently clocked at 37xxxkm. Fairly maintained every 5000km, etc. The bike wont start at first attempt, only after 2-3 trial. If you press start button longer, the screeching nasty sounds will scratch your feeling too.

I dont think engine is the problem, just got back from short ride of 250km..Never had the nasty sound before. Could use some advice here.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Kamenrider (Zain), as we spoke yesterday, thought about your problem:

1. Try changing your engine oil to a fresh one if haven't.
2. The metallic sound could be cause by the camshaft chain tensioner. Remember if to do this, engine to be at Top Dead Center (TDC). With the piston at TDC the valves will all be closed and there will be no chance of tension on the cam chain.

3. Sticky valves just after being left awhile. Oil needs some time to circulate and reach all those places.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM

TQVM Steven..

Just read your posting, i see your point now. But as spoken just now, i will follow ur advice and do the valve clearance first. Will have them check the nasty sound too.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 AM

karmen,

For most modern day F.I cars, which starts easily with just 1 short crack at the starter motor, a difficulty in starting normally is caused a faulty Crank Position Sensor. Often it is contaminated by varnish or gum, left behind by oil that should have been changed out much earlier (depleted detergents). Not sure about the V CPS.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 AM

TQVM guys for the info.. Just got back from Kawasaki (M) at Glenmarie and got some interesting info of the 'problem'...

I explained the prob, show some photos what kinda of checking I did (at another workshop) last week and finally put up a demo to them. First trial, it cranks smoothly like no problem at all. Turned off the bike, crank it for second time and the long nasty screeching sound reveal itself. after few more demo, they are certain that the sounds came from the clutch coil area (inside the left side cover). They 'are inclined to believe' its the Starter Clutch problem. They said its a one way clutch type and it is now having problem, causing the nasty sound when cranking the engine.

They said no Versys so far having this prob but they used to have Z750 and Z1000 with same prob. Just need to replace the one way clutch + coupling..

Last edited by kamenrider; 03-26-2012 at 03:56 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
karmen,

For most modern day F.I cars, which starts easily with just 1 short crack at the starter motor, a difficulty in starting normally is caused a faulty Crank Position Sensor. Often it is contaminated by varnish or gum, left behind by oil that should have been changed out much earlier (depleted detergents). Not sure about the V CPS.
Thanks 2damax,

will bring this up to the Kawa mechanics tommorow.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Some of the photos taken while checking up the nasty sound last week..

The mechanic even temporarily replaced the electrical components using new (almost new) from other versys (which is pending extensive repair due to accidents). Result still the same, nasty screeching sound when cranking the engine...

Last edited by kamenrider; 03-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 PM

Finally, managed to settled the nasty sound at start. With the advice from Steven and 2damax, I did several checking with few mechanics until one of them suggest that this could be due to loose of the one-way clutch starter and its coupling. Since I've done most electrical test and trial error with new starter,battery, rectifier, etc, I had no choice but to try this advice. Guess what?? Problem solved, bike sounds like new bike when cranking the engine.

Below are some of the videos/images I've taken from start to end :

1. Video Normal Sound @ Start

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/...soundstart.mp4

2. Video Nasty Sound Bunyi @ Start (the 42second scene)

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/...Soundstart.mp4

3. Initial checking of the electrical and some of its components (still cannot detect the problem). Did this checking at my regular workshop. The mechanic tried his best checking the problem but to no avail.

4. Went to Kawa (Malaysia) as advised by Steven. Met Mr. Midi, explained the problem and after 2-3 attempt starting my bike, he was inclined to believe its the one-way clutch starter (loose). He said its very rare to happen but he used to attend a Z750 and a Z1000 with similar problem. In fact, he said mine is the first Versys in Malaysia to have such problem. Not sure how this happen as I fairly maintain my bike and now only clocking 37xxxkm after nearly 3years of use but when it happens, it happens...

Solution?? To change the one-way clutch starter + coupling. They did the job within 1 day one day only and the mechanic was right!! The nasty sound at start is finally solved!!!

Took back the old parts - observe the spring in the middle of the one-way clutch, seems little bit dented.

5. The spareparts & cost about MYR530 (exclusive workmanship, new EO, oil filter)

Sharing Is Caring.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 PM

I'm sorry to bump this thread from 2012 but this is one of the rare search results found on the internet regarding this exact issue.

I have the same problem as kamenrider had, the noise is pretty much identical and the results are the same - a short delay in start but it starts 100% every time.
Now the thing is I already replaced the one-way clutch with a new one but the sound is still present at startup (not every time though, it primarily makes the noise when the bike is cold).
Could it be the clutch gears - the noise does sound like metal grinding? Anyone had a similar problem?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:51 PM

Have you checked the torque limiter on the starter idler gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode