Grabby Front Brakes - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Grabby Front Brakes

I have a 2010 Versys that I am really enjoying, except for one item in particular. At very slow speeds, any application of the brakes, however slight, results in what seems to be a hard application of the brakes. This is most noticeable when slowly pulling up to a gas pump, pushing the bike into the garage. etc. If the handle bars are turned even slightly during the application, the momentum wants the bike to tip away from the direction of the front wheel. When applied with the wheel straight, the forks compress like a pogo stick. Once the bike is moving any faster then above, I have no issue with the brakes grabbing or coming to a stop. The brakes are easy to apply with little pressure (I just don't seem to be able to apply little enough pressure). My other bike does not exhibit this tendency. Is this normal? Is there some "fix" to alleviate this?

I appreciate any advice that would help me with this.

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM

Sounds like your front suspension isn't set up quite right. The Versys does dive a bit and there are a few threads here on some things that can be done to help this.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 AM

The V braking TOO MUCH?!? Now I've heard it all! I'm no mechanic but something is definitely wrong!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How many miles on it? Cleaning the calipers, pads and rotors may help... Although the original Tokico pads are already HH rated, I never did try them and started off with Vesrah's well liked Japan made HH rated sintered pads, as others also have.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18459
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 AM

I had grabby brakes at around 13,000 miles. I tried cleaning the calipers and futzing with the bobbins but that didn't fix it. New HBC pads solved the problem and improved front brake feel noticeably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.

Following are responses/answers as prompted by the above posts:

I haven't adjusted the suspension yet (I have printed off a copy from this forum on how to do so) . However, it does not exhibit an excessive amount of dive when braking from speed.

When braking from speed the brakes are easy to modulate and seem to be fairly adequate. I have made several very fast stops, but have had no need for absolute panic stops....yet.

The bike has about 5,000 miles on it.

Does any of this info help aid in the diagnosis?

Thanks again.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Occam's razor says basically that the simplest explanation is best. If your brakes are grabby, they most likely are the problem. Service the brakes before looking for other explanations. Good luck and update the thread with your results.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Did you check to see if any of the caliper mounting bolts are loose?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Did you check to see if any of the caliper mounting bolts are loose?
Good idea. I'll check that and see if that helps. If not then I will clean the discs and pads to see if that helps. I probably won't be able to get to that until Saturday as my KZ has got my lift tied up and I need to wrap it up to free the lift. I'll update the thread with the results.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in AL View Post
Good idea. I'll check that and see if that helps. If not then I will clean the discs and pads to see if that helps. I probably won't be able to get to that until Saturday as my KZ has got my lift tied up and I need to wrap it up to free the lift. I'll update the thread with the results.
What KZ are you talking about? I have an 02 KZ1000P.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
What KZ are you talking about? I have an 02 KZ1000P.
Mine is a bit older, it's a 1981 KZ1100A, shaft drive, that loves to scream down the road. It will be for sale soon to make more room for the V and provide some extra cash for mods to it.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Try bleeding the brakes calipers a bit. smoothing the brake pads rough spots can help.
Check if the brake fluid is not overfilled.

Good if could lift up the front and give the front wheel a spin. see it anything is touching excessively. Apply the brakes to see all is ok. Check if any bent on the front wheel.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode