Blaster-X tail light - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Blaster-X tail light

The Blaster-X tail light with turn signals and a built in brake light modulator that I put on my V a couple of days ago almost immediately proved to be defective. I had an erratic brake light pattern and acted very peculiar when blinking. It all began when I started the motor (could not take the mild vibes...?) Before that everything seemed fine.

I contacted Custom Led who was very communicative but could not solve the issue from a distance. Now I have to send the light back to the US.

How does it work in the US when it comes to warranty issues? Who pay for the shipping in the end when returning a defective item? What does the law say?

Last edited by anders55; 02-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Since obviously no one in the whole V world have had any warranty related issues involving shipping I'll answer my own question from the experience I have had so far.

The little lawyer in me loves to straighten questions like this out.

Apparently the buyer pays for the return shipping. If the goods is found faulty he/she can get the cost reimbursed if the seller is in a good mood. It sounds like Custom LED is / will be. They have been very friendly so far.

FWIW, according to the Consumer Law a seller in Sweden is obliged to cover the return shipping costs when the goods is defective.

Still I do not know for sure what the Consumer Laws say in the US says. Nor if there is such a law there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
GDI

I'm not aware of any law regulating returns of defective merchandise. Even if they did, what rights would you have if you're not a citizen? If you're concerned about these types of issues, you need to read the FAQs on the vendor's website. They may have something in there about how they handle returns.

Generally you're at the mercy of the vendor, so pick a good vendor!

GDI

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I this particular case I'm hopefully OK - taken care of by a "good vendor".

If there is an applicable Consumer law or not regarding returns in a case like this it could not have anything to do with citizenship.
I mean, just imagine:
- You are not a citizen here, I can sell you whatever crap I'd like! Does that sound fair to you? No, not in a civilized part of the world..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 PM

Anders, is there a warranty attached? I admit I'll be pissed off if the same!

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:47 AM

Most USA vendors are pretty good about warranty issues & domestic shipping but I'm not sure about international shipping charges. I've ordered some parts from small motorcycle vendors who did not even require payment until I received the parts. Unusual but true... My experience is that most motorcycle people/vendors are pretty good.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
Most USA vendors are pretty good about warranty issues & domestic shipping but I'm not sure about international shipping charges. I've ordered some parts from small motorcycle vendors who did not even require payment until I received the parts. Unusual but true... My experience is that most motorcycle people/vendors are pretty good.
I do agree with you Kankujoe. We people with this particular interest trust each other - something I very much appreciate.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Stlee29: This specific product did not have the conditions for the warranty attached in the box.

The manufacturer says the following on their web site, though:

"...... This warranty covers repair/refurbish costs for items that are found to have a manufacturing defect. The customer must pay shipping costs to ship items to the maunufacturer for warranty claims. Return shipping will be at the discretion of the manufacturer.
In all warranty situations, the customer is required to send in their product for repair/replacement. There will be no exchanges. This is a repair based warranty, not replacement. In most cases, we handle warranty claims within 1 to 2 business days."

In Sweden, if there is a warranty issue and the goods proves to be faulty, the seller has to reimburse the buyer for the costs related to the return shipping. It is illegal for the seller to negotiate on this. Hence I wanted to know how this matter was taken care of in the US. A "nerdish" question it might be, but being in the "Law business" here in Sweden I can't help asking questions like this - I just got to know!

This is why I want to know what the US Consumer laws say. If there is any.. I know I have read about lemon laws somewhere.

Note that my seller in this case has NOT refused to reimburse me!! (I haven't even asked for a compensation.) So far they have been very friendly, attentive and quick in responding.

Last edited by anders55; 03-04-2012 at 03:25 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
The Blaster-X tail light with turn signals and a built in brake light modulator that I put on my V a couple of days ago almost immediately proved to be defective. I had an erratic brake light pattern and acted very peculiar when blinking. It all began when I started the motor (could not take the mild vibes...?) Before that everything seemed fine.

I contacted Custom Led who was very communicative but could not solve the issue from a distance. Now I have to send the light back to the US.

How does it work in the US when it comes to warranty issues? Who pay for the shipping in the end when returning a defective item? What does the law say?
Anders, may I suggest that if it is not too late, try placing in parallel a 100uF electrolytic capacitor to the lamp's terminal. '+' goes with '+' as it is important on polarity with the electrolytic capacitor. Not sure if there are electronic stores in Sweden like radio shack or the likes.

I found that some devices are prone to the 'noise' generated by the R/R which the device appears to be working fine but becomes erratic when in the presence of a noisy power source. The noisiest noise is when the Revs are around 2500 RPM. Don't know why, thought the R/R would have it's rectifier bridge smooth out the ripples but doesn't appear to smooth out enough. The 100uF cap purpose is to smooth out even more of the ripples. Get a 25V rated 100uF cap to ensure sufficient voltage tolerance. There are 16V type but it may burn out if the R/R gives it 16V juices.

I did install a Coolant Temp meter that is erratic when the revs hit 2500 rpm and beyond. With just the engine off and powered on on the electrical, it works perfectly. Placed a 220uF cap initially but 100uF cap did the best job to reduce the erratic needle sways. Hope you get it working or refunded.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:

Last edited by 2daMax; 03-07-2012 at 05:11 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Dear 2daMax,

Many thanks for your tip! Right now the tail light is on its way back to the factory. Hope they can solve the issue, because I cannot think of anything better than a functioning light like this.

The light seemed to work perfectly before I started the motor, but I think something must have been wrong inside from start. After a short while it showed erratic light patterns even with the motor shut off.

If I had put a capacitor where you suggest I might not have blown the light, but for Heavenís sake, it's a bike light that should be built to withstand some "interference", don't you agree?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Agreed 100%. The design should have a circuit to filter out electrical noise under the worst case R/R output.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

End of story:
I got the light replaced. Since three months I have a beautifully functioning Blaster-X light, slightly improved as I understand (has a capacitor now).

It is VERY bright and works perfect now, gives three strobes when I hit the brake, just the way it should in the setting I use.

I do recommend this US made brake light and the nice fabricator Jon!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 PM

I went with the $49.00 Back Off XP which uses the stock LED brake light. Works great.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Probably good enough, but Blaster-X LED's are is much brighter than the stock LED's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode