Michelin Anakee 2, two types!?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Michelin Anakee 2, two types!?!

I'm considering purchasing Michelin Anakee 2 from Revzilla or Motorcycle Superstore. In the drop down menu to select the size of the tire, they have two choices for the following specs:

150/70HR-17
150/70VR-17

What is the difference and which one should I select? I'm looking to travel up to Labrador/Happy Goose Valley Bay this summer, meaning some decent gravel.

Thanks in advance for the responses!

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The difference is the speed rating...Heres a sample below...

225/50SR16 112 mph, 180 km/h
225/50HR16 130, 210 km/h
225/50VR16 in excess of 130 mph, 210 km/h

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Let me jump in with one too. With the different "speed" ratings come different rubber compounds. So, I assume the higher the speed rating the harder the rubber and since none of us can go +130 mph, is it better to get the softer tire? Maybe the softer wears faster but gives better grip? or take the harder tire so it lasts longer and maybe stands up to more abuse. Or finally, just buy the high speed tire just because it has a "V" in the name...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM

The speed rating may have more to do with the ply construction than the rubber.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcleen1004 View Post
I'm considering purchasing Michelin Anakee 2 ...

What is the difference and which one should I select? I'm looking to travel up to Labrador/Happy Goose Valley Bay this summer, meaning some decent gravel.
I wouldn't be concerned with getting the H-rated tire if your concern is related to treadwear. The tire on the left in the pic is an H-rated Anakee 2 with 12k miles and change on it, with all but a couple hundred of them being very loaded travels.

While I think the Anakee 2 is a great 90/10 tire, I would personally think twice about using it on the any roads with a lot of large/sharp gravel. I had a gravel puncture in AK, caused by a seemingly innocuous piece of gravel (also the tire in the pic) when it still had a pretty significant amount of tread on it. Thus, if the V rating implies a stronger carcass with an additional ply, well, then, it may, in fact, be worth going with the V-rated tire.

Based on experience, I can definitely recommend the Shinko 705 as a tire with a very durable carcass that would likely work well on the Trans Lab. I've put alot of gravel miles on them. However, it's treadwear is less than half that of the Anakee 2. But, for around half the cost, it's not a big deal. If I was going to do the Trans Lab (and I originally was going to this past fall, but had a change of plans), I'd use a Shinko 705 or Kenda Big Block (based on experience with the tire) for the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allthweway.jpg (48.1 KB, 214 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Any concerns about the block separation issues that have been reported on the forum for the E705's? (e.g. this thread).

I loved the tire when I had the KLR, but would be nervous about using it on the Versys, especially on something like the Trans Lab.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Any concerns about the block separation issues that have been reported on the forum for the E705's? (e.g. this thread).

I loved the tire when I had the KLR, but would be nervous about using it on the Versys, especially on something like the Trans Lab.

Dave C
I haven't had any issues with either Shinko 705 I've used (have one on the bike right now). I beat the crap out of the one I used up in Canuckistan. Hell, I had a Shinko 705 on my V when I went to Wrigley, NWT (googlemap it), which is waaaaaaaaay the hell in the middle of nothing, my bike was very heavily loaded, and I felt completely comfortable and never had a single issue - ran it until it was bald down the center.

I've never run my tire pressures below 36 psi. Also, I've only used the radial tires. I wouldn't use them on the front, as I would only use a radial on the front.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 PM

There is a V-rated Shinko 705 rear tire clone... the Full Bore M-40. About $95 on Ebay. I've thought about giving it a try...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Last minute I decided against the Anakee II's. I purchased my 2nd set of Scorpion Trails (first set survived a xcountry trip with an occasional fire road just fine) and I think before the Trans Lab trip I may get a set of MT60's.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednukey View Post
I haven't had any issues with either Shinko 705 I've used (have one on the bike right now). I beat the crap out of the one I used up in Canuckistan. Hell, I had a Shinko 705 on my V when I went to Wrigley, NWT (googlemap it), which is waaaaaaaaay the hell in the middle of nothing, my bike was very heavily loaded, and I felt completely comfortable and never had a single issue - ran it until it was bald down the center.

I've never run my tire pressures below 36 psi. Also, I've only used the radial tires. I wouldn't use them on the front, as I would only use a radial on the front.
Fair enough. At least one post indicated that a potential cause was running with a low pressure.

Good to know. Thanks!

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode