What other tire sizes work on rear of V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What other tire sizes work on rear of V

Was wondering If a 180/55ZR-17 would work on the rear rim of a versys. I know the stack size for the rear is 160/60zr-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM

Some people use a 150/70-17 on the back, which opens up some Adventure Touring choices. It's usually a little taller, which changes the dffective gear ratio a tad.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure why you are wanting to put on the 180, but keep in mind that when you put a wider tire on the same rim as the OEM tire you are effectively squeezing the tire while gives it a rounder profile. That means less contact patch throughout the entire range of the tire.

The 180 on the OEM rim will not look the same as a 180 on a rear rim designed for a 180.

Will it fit and will it clear the swingarm? Someone else will have to answer that question.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 PM

When I was buying my Conti's, I ask about running a bigger rear tire.
Thinking it would look cool. ( a bit of a goof but...). My mechanic at my dealership said 'cool' would be all i would see for my extra cash. He said a larger rear tire would slow down the responsiveness of the bike but that it wouldn't do any real harm.

Also mentioned was a reminder that engineering a motorcycle is not like any other power-sport.
After-all...the dam things are just waiting for an opportunity to fall over and as we all know, falling over is a bad thing!
Needless to say, with just two lil' contact patches keeping us all from deaths door...I'll err on the side of caution. I can't imagine altering the balance Kawasaki built in to the Versys.
IMHO.

He even said many litre-bike owners have the rear 190/55's switched out to a 180 series tire even before taking delivery for the improved agility a smaller tire brings. So they are Increasing the size of the contact patch??? (beneficial to down-size...not so much up-sizing).

After the convincing lesson in cycle dynamics, I stayed with the stock size for my "V".
I never checked his facts. It sounded 'logical' and he did save me 25 bucks.

Doesn't answer your question exactly but...but I thought it might be relevant.

...and who ever heard of a dealership talking a customer out of spending "more" money!
LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 02-19-2012 at 07:24 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
Was wondering If a 180/55ZR-17 would work on the rear rim of a versys. I know the stack size for the rear is 160/60zr-17
All tire manufacturers publish, on the web, a fitment chart that lists the optimum, min and max rim width for a given tire size. If you stray from the optimum size tire for the Versys 4.5inch rear or 3.5inch front rim it is going to effect handling traits. The 160/60 rear and 120/70 front, on the stock rims, have a matched curvature to the tread which the engineers deemed optimal for cornering. A wider tire will pinch on the rim and provide a more rounded cross sectional shape than desired. In some cases, too much roundness from pinching a too wide tire for the rim, reduces the contact patch. If you look on the fitment charts a 180/55 lists a wider rim than the Versys has as optimal.

On a 160/60 you can use the tread out to the edge because the roundness of the profile is not too great when used with a matching rim width. With a pinched tire the tread near the edges will be at an angle greater than 40 degrees when the bike is upright so the extra width will not actually be able to contact the pavement before hard parts of the bike do when cornering.

front rim 17 x 3.5in
rear rim 17 x 4.5in

Last edited by twowheels; 02-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 AM

In my opinion, putting a 180 on the V would mess up the handling surely. Plus, and it may be the same in other countries, over here if I had an accident which required an insurance claim, an oversized tyre would soon be picked up by the assessor and probably lead to invalidation of the policy. I think the idea's a non-starter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 AM

..or, if your handy...you can perhaps fabricate a wider swing-arm and mount a rim off a ZX-10r!
Or re-engineer the swing-arm off a ZX-10r.....nevermind!

(mother told me thinkin' was bad for me)

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Plus, and it may be the same in other countries, over here if I had an accident which required an insurance claim, an oversized tyre would soon be picked up by the assessor and probably lead to invalidation of the policy. I think the idea's a non-starter.[/QUOTE]

We don't really have these issues here in the states, it's all about lawyers trying to out-lawyer each other. Facts are often irrelevant. That being said I learned the hard way about squeezing bigger tires on the same rims with the cars I used to build up. The upgraded larger tires on my Mitsubishi turbo handled much worse than the trashed stock tires. A friend who restores cars explained how I actually had a smaller contact patch with the larger tires. I wouldn't mind slower handling as Im a cruiser and we have few turns in my parts. Maybe a 170 for me if it is within the rim range, but a 180 is silly for Versys. Unfortunately fat rear tires do look way cooler.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
Not sure about a 180, but I have a 170/55 on the rear of my Versys and it fits well. Decided to go that route knowing I would make the bike a little harder to turn, but in exchange I get some excellent stability in the turn and a slight increase in ride quality. Fits easily in the swingarm, so that isn't an issue. I like mine, but YMMV...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode