When to change tires out - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When to change tires out

Hello,

I currently have 11K miles on my 08 Versys and I am starting to wonder when I should change out my tires. I bought the V late last summer with a little over 10K miles, so I haven't put that many miles on the bike. I have no idea if the Dunlop Sportmax tires are the original OEM tires, or OEM replacements. The tires look in pretty good shape, but I don't really know what worn out motorcycle tires look like.

I am fairly easy on the bike, so I would think tires would last me a while. I have seen thread where riders are only getting 4-6K miles on their tires before needing to replace them again. Again, I have no idea if these are replacement tires, or original OEM tires.

How do I know when it is time to replace the tires? Also, how many miles should I expect to get out of motorcycle tires? I understand different types of tires get different mileage, but I was thinking of what type to buy when I do replace them.

I was thinking of the Avon Distanzia 90% street 10% dirt or the Michelin Pilot Road 3. I don't really do any dirt riding, but think the Avon would be a good balance.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Everyone
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Hello,

I currently have 11K miles on my 08 Versys and I am starting to wonder when I should change out my tires. I bought the V late last summer with a little over 10K miles, so I haven't put that many miles on the bike. I have no idea if the Dunlop Sportmax tires are the original OEM tires, or OEM replacements. The tires look in pretty good shape, but I don't really know what worn out motorcycle tires look like.

I am fairly easy on the bike, so I would think tires would last me a while. I have seen thread where riders are only getting 4-6K miles on their tires before needing to replace them again. Again, I have no idea if these are replacement tires, or original OEM tires.

How do I know when it is time to replace the tires? Also, how many miles should I expect to get out of motorcycle tires? I understand different types of tires get different mileage, but I was thinking of what type to buy when I do replace them.

I was thinking of the Avon Distanzia 90% street 10% dirt or the Michelin Pilot Road 3. I don't really do any dirt riding, but think the Avon would be a good balance.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Everyone
Jason
The Dunlop sportmax are the original tires that come with the v stock. Michelin pilot road 3 are great replacements from what I have read especially if you plan on riding in wet weather
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You inspect your tires for damage and you measure your tread depth. There are also wear bars on the tires just like on car tires. The Owners manual tells you how much tread depth you can have. I think it is something like 3mm front and 1mm rear.

You can never change a tire too soon, but you can change one too late.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM

I just read the manual and it suggests:

Min Thread depth.

Front: 1mm
Rear: 2mm if below 130kph and 3mm if traveling faster

The Stock Dunlop sportmax aren't the best tires, a real lousy performer in the wet. My tires are reaching 10k km, and the front is at its final life while the rear still has another 3k or so km. With the shallower threads, I am lowering my pressure on the tires in order to get more grip, and it's not bad actually. It would mean more wear but I just can't wait to wear it out so that I can install some good rubbers. (Pirelli Scorpion Trails or Michelin PR3)

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Garage
I have 13,000 kms on the stock Dunlops. They still have live in them, but I have a plug in the rear (since about 11,000 kms) and I bashed my front rim last season, so I'm replacing the set when I mount the new rim. Just bought Michelin Polit Road3s.

If not for the damage, I'd likely run the rear to about 15,000kms and the front maybe even longer.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Michelin PR3's have been great for me.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM

Before this happens . . .during a rally . . .90 miles from home.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Excellent advice. Thanks everyone
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM

The stock Dunlops, leave the pressure as stated, 32F, 36R psi. going higher will impair you from having fun. Had a blast yesterday as I went into the twisties en route to home, grip was good in turns, and lean more. Even the wet grip was a lot better.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 AM

Garage
2damax....You talking about the stock Dunlop Sportmax. I am now 6700km usage and the wear on the front is really showing. I pump 33/36.
And this tyres are bad in the wet.

2damax...How much is the Pirelli Scorpions ( 1 pair ). Thanks...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 AM

Will change any tire reaching 2mm tire tread or any damage in between.
http://www.tire-information-world.com/tread.html

But most important, one must be comfortable and confident with the tyre.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Just changed the front BT016 to BT 023 on my z1000 with 7400km as tyre was cupped and had some bad ridges on it which you could feel if you pushed bike in corner, could of made it last another 1000km if i wanted to wear tread out but was not confident in it.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 AM

I always wait way to long . And after I do change them out I swear to myself I will never wait that long again .The bike just rides and handles so much better with new not worn out tires . But as usual I waited to long on my last front tire change . But after I changed out the front tire I did promise myself that I would not wait that long again .lol
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 AM

I can't even believe there is a thread on this subject. How dumb can you be?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyguy View Post
Hmmm.. kinda harsh unless you know the OP.

I might ask the same question myself being a newb. Bike tires are much different than car tires.

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyguy View Post
From the number of different opinions and interesting posts, evidently not so dumb at all? And only one person felt the need to be rude and insulting...
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Ask MOM it knows.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I don't consider myself dumb about motorcycle tires, just a little less educated than many other members on here. I figured I would ask the question given the wealth of knowledge I have seen on this forum. I guess I could have looked in the owners manual; however I know what is written in the manual isn't always the same as the real "ground" truth out on the streets. I am still fairly new to the world of motorcycles and I am just trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

Thanks for all the great input everyone
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM

I replaced the stockers at around 6500 miles (10Mm). Rear tire was squared off bad with minimal tread depth in the center 2 inches (past the wear bars) and plenty of tread on the sides. Bike would fall off the edge pretty distinctly in the corners and rear was drifting on acceleration. The front was still pretty good. Should have swapped much sooner, but I was still comfortable riding it.

I still got the old ones in the shed if you want a picture.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Like motopsycho, i run my rear angel into the ground at 8000km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode