SWM Crashbar Vibe Fix - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SWM Crashbar Vibe Fix

Lose the U-bolts...

No, seriously. As most of you know (that have SWM crashbars), they can be vibration inducing on some Vs. I had taken to loosening the U-bolts as much as possible and added rubber between them and the frame. I felt that I had reduced the problem to a tolerable level. But it still bothered me (after 2 years) that if I slightly over-tightened the U-bolts more than finger-tight the vibes came through.

It occurred to me that the bolts were now so loose that they did little structural good, so I decided to remove them entirely. I cut a couple of rubber pads (from an old mouse pad) and used some 8mm flat head bolts to bolt the pads between the bars and the frame.

There is now a noticeable difference in the vibration level in the V with this mod. It just feels smoother.

You might want to try it. Just take the U-bolts off and go for a ride. I think you'll find a whole different feel to your V. While riding, reach down and feel the vibes in the bar; then feel the lack of vibes in the frame.

YVMV (You Vibes May Vary)

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2884.jpg (87.3 KB, 279 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 PM

Good findings.

I would think that putting back the U bolt but just hand tightened the bolts would be better so that it would still hold the bars in an event of a drop. It would take some of the stresses from the other 2 bolt joints it limits any severe displacements of the bar.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 AM

Your motor has rubber mounts, doesn´t it? (2010 and on..)
So it seems like a logical mod. Given the fact that the bar mountings are fixed in or near the motor(bolts?) itself. Then you "bypass" the rubber mountings and get the vibration to the frame via the crash bars..

Last edited by anders55; 02-20-2012 at 04:13 AM.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
His is a 2008... 2010+ models have rubber in the upper rear motor mounts only.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Ok. Old V - no rubber mounts. My explanation failed But still - if you transfer the vibes from a motor mount where the bar is fitted, and lead them higher up to the frame and closer to your a-s they might tickle you more, compared to if you did not have a crashbar
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Having SWs on my '09 (and associated vibes...!), I think I would NOT remove the U-bolts that are anchoring it, so that it remains ... a crash bar.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Having SWs on my '09 (and associated vibes...!), I think I would NOT remove the U-bolts that are anchoring it, so that it remains ... a crash bar.
Agreed. The U bolt need to be tight to prevent any movement in a crash.
Try putting some washers with rubber washers. It will spread the load and absorb some of the annoying vibs.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM

go the other way

I went the other way to fix mine...I tossed the plastic piece that came with the kit and cranked the u bolt tight , now it solid and doesn't move or vibe......I also used the torque values from the service manual on the engine bolts and not the spec provided by SWM...

Dan
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM

SWM crash bars vibes

Have an 08 V. With my SWM bars on...total and intolerable frame vibration. Removed crash bars...vibrations way back down to normal tolerable levels. From my perspective it has a lot to do with the extended rear mount bolt that comes with the crash bars. You're taking a factory bolt that's 4-5 inches long and replacing it with a 12" bolt. As we know for grade 9 physics vibration waves grow over linear travel...the Tsunami effect. The u bolts then complete the circuit by transferring those amplified vibrations directly to the main frame. Theres also an extended bolt for the front left mount too which I'm sure is adding to the effect. I would assume this is more an issue with older V's with no rubber motor mounts. Hope SW Motech or twisted throttle is reading this thread and offer a fix. I paid a lot of money for these crash bars (and I liked have highway pegs) just so they can sit on a shelf in my garage.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaure View Post
Have an 08 V. With my SWM bars on...total and intolerable frame vibration. Removed crash bars...vibrations way back down to normal tolerable levels. From my perspective it has a lot to do with the extended rear mount bolt that comes with the crash bars. You're taking a factory bolt that's 4-5 inches long and replacing it with a 12" bolt. As we know for grade 9 physics vibration waves grow over linear travel...the Tsunami effect. The u bolts then complete the circuit by transferring those amplified vibrations directly to the main frame. Theres also an extended bolt for the front left mount too which I'm sure is adding to the effect. I would assume this is more an issue with older V's with no rubber motor mounts. Hope SW Motech or twisted throttle is reading this thread and offer a fix. I paid a lot of money for these crash bars (and I liked have highway pegs) just so they can sit on a shelf in my garage.
You can contact me if you want some space on your shelf...
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 AM

do HB's vibrate less? I'm on the fence on which to get.

Last edited by broham; 05-16-2012 at 09:59 AM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM

I just bought a set of the Hepco Becker crash bars. I don't notice any extra vibes from the HB's. They have a very nice finish too, top quality stuff.

I got them from here: http://capitalcycle.com/

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post

Never noticed any vibes with my H/B's and i crashed tested mine all that was needed was alittle touch up paint...... http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts....Category_Code=

IMG_20111127_133820 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133900 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 PM

Sorry Kojack...not the fix I'm looking for...at least not right now.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM

dang weljo.

i have swm on my other ride, they were the stoutest of all that i check out and had the best coverage.

the swm's imo are heavier duty and have better coverage than the HB's but it's not like i plan to dump this one much. the last couple were "true" dual sports, by someone's definition.....however this bike is SO MUCH BETTER than my 800gs i can't begin to get over it...SO much BETTER.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I have H-Bs on my '08, so when I got the '09 I TRIED to order another set, but couldn't in a reasonable time-frame, so I ordered S-Ws for it and installed them. Like weljo, I've crash-tested my H-Bs, and 2 small pieces of electricians' tape covered the 'damage'. I've never noticed any more vibes than stock on the H-Bs.

My '09, however, has SERIOUS vibes since the S-W install. I put a set of Aprilia mirrors on it, and now I can see what's behind me...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
Lose the U-bolts...

No, seriously. As most of you know (that have SWM crashbars), they can be vibration inducing on some Vs. I had taken to loosening the U-bolts as much as possible and added rubber between them and the frame. I felt that I had reduced the problem to a tolerable level. But it still bothered me (after 2 years) that if I slightly over-tightened the U-bolts more than finger-tight the vibes came through.

It occurred to me that the bolts were now so loose that they did little structural good, so I decided to remove them entirely. I cut a couple of rubber pads (from an old mouse pad) and used some 8mm flat head bolts to bolt the pads between the bars and the frame.

There is now a noticeable difference in the vibration level in the V with this mod. It just feels smoother.

You might want to try it. Just take the U-bolts off and go for a ride. I think you'll find a whole different feel to your V. While riding, reach down and feel the vibes in the bar; then feel the lack of vibes in the frame.

YVMV (You Vibes May Vary)

Michael
The u-bolts serve for structural integrity in the case of a crash. The force would drive the mount up and over the frame member.

I did the same mod, edp high density rubber instead of the plastic crap they supplied (which was squashed flat), and just snugged the nuts up tight enough so there wasn't play. They are lock nuts so they won't vibrate loose.

This eliminated about 75% of the vibes I had from them. Right at 4800 in a very narrow rpm band there is some harshness from vibes. But it's much smoother overall and much less noticeable. The best thing I ever did for vibes was balance the tires.

The crash bar fits very snug against the frame. I wonder what shimming it out would do so it wasn't so tight and then run the u-bolts in there snug but not tight. I may try that one day if I get really bored, or go and trade the thing off.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 05-16-2012 at 08:21 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
>snip
.....however this bike is SO MUCH BETTER than my 800gs i can't begin to get over it...SO much BETTER.
That's interesting you'd say that. One of my best riding buddies that also has a TE630, came from an 8gs. He said he liked it but hated it at the same time.

I keep thinking Tiger 800 or Super Tenere for more 2-up. I just gotta go ride them I guess. But I'll be keeping the TE, it's a keeper.

The versys sure is fun to ride though, and very easy to ride, very forgiving. I like that it passes cars like stationary objects.

Please do tell us more.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 AM

so looks like HB's may be the way to go for me after a TON of reading last night.

where do you all say the best place to buy?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
so looks like HB's may be the way to go for me after a TON of reading last night.

where do you all say the best place to buy?

http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts....Category_Code=

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode