modifying/tuning the rear shock - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
modifying/tuning the rear shock

Anybody work on the rear shock, or get it modified? Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve kit or similar? Let a suspension shop deal with it? Were you happy with the results?

Replacing the shock with a better one seems like a safe bet, but getting the OEM shock dialed-in/upgraded might be cheaper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I installed the emulators on my old bike a Ninja 500 with prehistoric suspension and it was a big improvement. I'm not sure how damping is done on the Versys though so am not sure they would even work.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The greatest improvement for the rear shock is had by switching to a spring with proper rate. Stock 900~940 lbs/in spring is too stiff to allow full use of available travel, no matter how you set preload or sag. At 210 lbs solo, an 800 lbs/in spring is perfect, even when charging through deep unforgiving sharp ruts and dips.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4958

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 AM

Yamaha R1 Shock ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Anybody work on the rear shock, or get it modified? Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve kit or similar? Let a suspension shop deal with it? Were you happy with the results?

Replacing the shock with a better one seems like a safe bet, but getting the OEM shock dialed-in/upgraded might be cheaper...
Yeah , for around $100 bucks I did the Yamaha R1 Shock transplant I love the plush soft stock R1 spring too...at 160 lbs. solo rider only...just drill out the eyelets...a couple washers and play with the adjustable hi and low speed compression and rebound...it's a fun project trying to find a 2008 shock but they are out there...cheap too...try it ,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1 Shock 001.jpg (72.0 KB, 323 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM

Stock is stiff? umm... when i ride 2 up, i got bottom up even with preload set at 2nd highest.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Stock is stiff? umm... when i ride 2 up, i got bottom up even with preload set at 2nd highest.
How much do you guys weigh? Are you sure you're not at 2nd from lowest spring preload setting?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM

I've bottomed out at highest pre-load...but I weighed ~325lbs when I did that (currently 310 and dropping). So maybe the easiest way to tune the rear is beer and pizza. ;-)

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
Yeah , for around $100 bucks I did the Yamaha R1 Shock transplant I love the plush soft stock R1 spring too...at 160 lbs. solo rider only...just drill out the eyelets...a couple washers and play with the adjustable hi and low speed compression and rebound...it's a fun project trying to find a 2008 shock but they are out there...cheap too...try it ,
I bought an R1 shock all done up, from a member here - LOVE it! (BTW, mine are from '07 to '08 R1s.)

So, I bought ANOTHER off Ebay for my '09 in Canada, and it's at RaceTech in California getting the same spring as the first one, but CUSTOM POWDERCOATING in brilliant yellow (my '09's green).

I HIGHLY recommend the R1 shock!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I bought an R1 shock all done up, from a member here - LOVE it! (BTW, mine are from '07 to '08 R1s.)

So, I bought ANOTHER off Ebay for my '09 in Canada, and it's at RaceTech in California getting the same spring as the first one, but CUSTOM POWDERCOATING in brilliant yellow (my '09's green).

I HIGHLY recommend the R1 shock!
Is it documented in a thread somewhere what to do with the shock?

For example what needs to be machined, what bushings need to be purchased, are the length of the stock shock and this different and how to compensate, etc.??
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Search "Fork Revalve" and you will get the associated threads. I also went the R1, Eibach spring route. Works good!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 PM
ggg

just take it off and get a suspension shop to do the gold valves if you ride in dirt a bit the comp damping will need to be boosted as it easy to bottom out in dirt over a few unexpected erosion mounds etc, that would be cheaper and easier mod to do rather than stuffing around with another brand shock
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a GREAT thread:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...amaha+R1+shock

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all.

The R1 shock swap seems more appealing since I read above that a heavier rider than me was OK with the stock spring. Can I have the same ride height with the R1 shock?

From looking at the R1 shocks on Ebay, it looks like it uses a linkage on the R1. It's a little surprising it would work so well in this application, but it sounds like there are a lot of satisfied customers.

Didn't find anything about rear shock revalve from searching fork revalve (or from searching shock revalve), but there was a lot of stuff about making a better fork shim stack, etc. Both ends of the bike need fixing, so that's good too.

If I don't go to a suspension shop for fork tuning, I might start a different thread for that--the suggestions I've found here are all for heavier riders.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

I can use either an 07 or 08 R1 shock? But not earlier or later?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 AM

Was told the R1 shock was not serviceable. Apparently not.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
How much do you guys weigh? Are you sure you're not at 2nd from lowest spring preload setting?
i do believe this is the 2nd highest, no?

i am 85kg while she is 55kg. i'm just confused and idiot about suspension settings thingie though.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...The R1 shock swap seems more appealing since I read above that a heavier rider than me was OK with the stock spring. Can I have the same ride height with the R1 shock?

From looking at the R1 shocks on Ebay, it looks like it uses a linkage on the R1. It's a little surprising it would work so well in this application, but it sounds like there are a lot of satisfied customers.
When I installed the R1 shock onto my '08 I didn't measure its eye-to-eye length, but, when I raised the bike enough to remove the stocker the R1 shock fit right in. I'll measure the other when it comes back from RaceTech.

Quote:
I can use either an 07 or 08 R1 shock? But not earlier or later?
Several of the guys (read through that thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...amaha+R1+shock) used other year shocks, but the '07 and '08 ones have ALL the adjustment screws on the outside, so accessibility is better, and I believe the '07/'08 shock looks BETTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Was told the R1 shock was not serviceable. Apparently not.
Stlee - what exactly do you mean by ...not serviceable...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Both ends of the bike need fixing, so that's good too.

If I don't go to a suspension shop for fork tuning, I might start a different thread for that--the suggestions I've found here are all for heavier riders.
In another thread I started (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18069), I said that I used ATF to fill my forks, and that now the forks are "plusher" then before. Invader did some research and has concluded that my ATF has a viscosity around 7.7, which might be the reason...? BTW, I'm about 175# PLUS my riding gear (ATGATT!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode