What is the best "way or glue to use for front fender extender??" - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What is the best "way or glue to use for front fender extender??"

Had to order FE because dirt all the way to the radiator! If possible to glue that would be awesome, but don't want it to fall off? Any suggestions? Anyone use 100% silicone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I used Gorilla Glue Epoxy for mine Fenda Extnda when i first got it in early 2010 and i just replaced the front fender a couple of weeks ago and used Gorilla Glue Epoxy putting the Fenda Extnda on the new fender. You can get it at Wal-Mart for less than $5.00/ BTW was able to get the FE off the old fender without doing any damage to the Fender or FE. I rode in all kinds of weather lots of heavy rain.It held up to a front end crash never any problems with it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-01-2012 at 11:32 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM

I glued one on a few years ago with black ABS cement. It was awesome, no issues.

Recently tried to use a colorless ABS cement for the Versys one... didn't work... seems as though that stuff sets up in like a second. Not enough time to apply to both pieces and stick them together...

So decided to use 3M trim tape. Inch wide and about 4 strips down the length of the extenda. It's suppose to have a chemical bond that fully cures in 48 hrs. It seems to be on exceptionally well. This tape can be bought at auto parts stores and is red on one side and gray on the other.

definitely like having the fenda extenda

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM

There is a lot of discussion of various methods < here >, to assist in making a decision.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 02-01-2012 at 01:00 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I used Gorilla Glue Epoxy for mine Fenda Extnda when i first got it in early 2010 and i just replaced the front fender a couple of weeks ago and used Gorilla Glue Epoxy putting the Fenda Extnda on the new fender. You can get it at Wal-Mart for less than $5.00/ BTW was able to get the FE off the old fender without doing any damage to the Fender or FE. I rode in all kinds of weather lots of heavy rain.It held up to a front end crash never any problems with it.
Awesome! Thanks for the imput! I'll try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
I glued one on a few years ago with black ABS cement. It was awesome, no issues.

Recently tried to use a colorless ABS cement for the Versys one... didn't work... seems as though that stuff sets up in like a second. Not enough time to apply to both pieces and stick them together...

So decided to use 3M trim tape. Inch wide and about 4 strips down the length of the extenda. It's suppose to have a chemical bond that fully cures in 48 hrs. It seems to be on exceptionally well. This tape can be bought at auto parts stores and is red on one side and gray on the other.

definitely like having the fenda extenda
Thanks! I'm not sure about tape. I'll have a look at that kind of tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
There is a lot of discussion of various methods < here >, to assist in making a decision.
Thanks cmoreride already read that. Wanted ideas from the ones that didn't fall off. And there were some that fell off! I really don't want to bolt it on. Thanks again!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM

i used 3 strips of 3m 2 sided tape (10lbs.)been there close to 6k miles, don't think it's goin anywhere
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Garage
I riveted my front fender extender. This way come rain or shine I know it will stick on. I have my doubts about glues and stuff because this extender is exposed to wet and dirt all the time. Fear it wont last long and one day come off..worse still if still riding......
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I like using aluminum pop rivets to fasten my license plate. Lightweight, low profile, and secure (hard to steal).

Last edited by invader; 02-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 PM

Garage
invader..+1....yeah....... Lots of itchy fingers out there....
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 AM

I used a marine grade epoxy, no screws. 12k miles and everything is still ok

IBA # 49372
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by youkiddin View Post
i used 3 strips of 3m 2 sided tape (10lbs.)been there close to 6k miles, don't think it's goin anywhere
Same here....3M mounting tape....its not going anywhere no screws or rivets through the fender and no need to pull the fender to install...

Easy peesy......

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:34 PM

I used the supplied screws when I installed one on my ST1300. No issues going on 10 years, although if I had it to do again I wouldn't use the screws.

I used 3M double stick tape on the Versys. No issues going on 4 years and no screws.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 PM

i used heavy duty velcro, the gray in color type, it's been in place since 08' no issues
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:43 AM

Mine was aluminium pop riveted. Done by the people in the shop.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM

I nylock nut and bolted mine. I used one hole left over from dual brake lines and had to drill one. My belief is that the chance the glue or tape comes loose and the extenda jams up under the fender and may cut the tire. Won't happen with nylock nuts and bolts (and you don't notice it). I'm sure some would disagree but I does like my piece o mind.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youkiddin View Post
Ditto here. I used the "heavy-duty" 3M tape and it has been on there for about 5k miles. I check it when I hose the bike down ( usually once a month ) and it hasn't budged. There was something innately wrong ( atleast in my mind ) about putting screws through the fender to fasten it. It would have looked ugly and it would have been a permanent solution for a farkle that, for whatever reason, I might want to remove at a later date ( perhaps, when I upgrade to a newer Versys? ).

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 PM

3M tape seems to work for my DIY Fender Extender. Used normal DoubleSided tape but within a few hours, it came off. F.E seems to be sticking well after about 16 hours and 40 mins of riding. Hope it stays that way.

Pics with F.E with normal tape. They have been re-taped with 3M.

Made with these stuff. Use 3M Tape now instead of the one in the pics.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 PM

window verathane
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 PM

I get a kick out of this. Nobody wants to put a couple of tiny screws in their fender to secure something that could tear up their tire at speed because of the way it looks yet they will bolt on those fugly crash bars and claim they look cool. LOL.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I get a kick out of this. Nobody wants to put a couple of tiny screws in their fender to secure something that could tear up their tire at speed because of the way it looks yet they will bolt on those fugly crash bars and claim they look cool. LOL.
Bolt on the crash bars.....you mean there's a way to 3M tape it to the bike ?

Just Kidding!!

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode