Help! Stuck in Baja - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help! Stuck in Baja

Hello fellow Versys folk. I am stuck in San Ignacio Baja Sur, Mexico. I was on my way to see the whales and my chain came off. Luckily I was on dirt and the back wheel locked up and i slid about 30 feet and remained upright.
I called my dad in Tijuana and he has bought a new chain and front and rear sprocket. 15tooth front 43 tooth rear. As far as parts thats what he bought and I cant change anything there. So I need info on changing the sprockets and chain. I have basic tools and It looks pretty simple? Any advice or specific instructions would be much appreciated. The parts will take a few days to arrive. I do not need advice on which chain or sprocket as I have no say in the matter. Dad has been working with Moto World in El Cajon and they have picked the parts out. I have no phone and it cost up to $1 a minute to use the phone in town. I am checking the internet and once again any specific step by step type instructions would be greatly appreciated.
I have not done any repairs like this so i am a beginning mechanic. There is no Motorcycle mechanic that ive been able to find here. I heard there is a guy who works on bikes but he is not around and has no phone or contact info?
Viva Mexico!
I have been on the road here in Mx. for over 40 days and have had an awesome experience. I was stuck in Loreto for a week with a de laminated shinko front tire. The tire looked great as far as wear but the tire delaminated and knobbies where peeling off in my hands. BEWARE of Shinko! Cheap price cheap quality. The repair guy in Loreto (Omar) ran me in circles he led me on and on and it took a week to get my tire. I could have took a bus to San Diego or La Paz and back and would have been the same price and faster. Do not trust Omar in Loreto. He also wanted 300 pesos to change the tire. I got the tire shop in town to do it for 40 pesos. Omar is not to be trusted. Plus he took my money and left town. I got the tire and he left his 16 year old cousin to change it. He did not know what he was doing and I had to coach him on the work. Long story but luckily I arrived as they where removing the tire. They wanted to jack up the bike using the muffler...
Back to San Ignacio. Its a beautifull oasis, and im camping at a resteraunt on the edge of town. Palapa Pressa is the name and Jorge and his wife are treating me well. I think you guys are my best bet for info so ill check in later. Thanks in advance. Gregory

Last edited by Tincrow; 01-28-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Front sprocket can be a big pain in the ass to get off....These 2 links below will do it for you.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ging+sprockets

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1784

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Is it absolutley necessary to change both? Or can I just change the rear. The front looks much better than the rear as far as wear goes.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
If you have oem sprockets, my advice would be to find a garage that has a air impact wrench and either a 27mm six point impact socket or a 1 1/16 impact socket. I have changed my sprocket to 16 tooth rubber dampened Kawasaki bought off ebay.You are at a disadvantage to attempt to change the front without the chain on. There are several threads and tricks to use on this forum, one method is to use a deep socket between the frame and one tooth.
The impact is required as any other method you are likely to round the nut, as you can't be in close enough to be at right angles to the nut.
What I did is remove speed sensor, carefully un-crimp the lock washer, put it in sixth gear, pushed the bike backwards so the chain was tight,block the rear wheel, used air impact at 120 PSI, 5 seconds it was off.

As to changing just the rear, if the chain failed due to sprocket wear, it will fail again, possibly within 2000KM. If 2000km gets you home then go for it BTW, the proper chain requires a riveting tool, not a master link, without the proper tool, a master link will work, but typically what happened to you, typically is associated with sprocket wear and a master link being used.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-28-2012 at 02:03 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:41 PM

As someone said, if you are on your way home and won't be out on the road much longer, and if your front sprocket doesn't look completely knackered, you could just leave it. For that matter, same goes for the back sprocket: unless it looks like complete ****e just throw on the new chain and head home. I have done this on a long trip and while the chain and sprockets were noisy they were otherwise fine (I didn't change my riding behaviour or have to baby it at all). I sacrificed that chain though: even though it was only a week old, when I got home I changed everything.

Hopefully your Dad shipped you a clip type master link because it's a lot easier to install than a rivet type (there is also a screw type but it is relatively uncommon). A rivet is certainly doable without special tools but you'll probably need help. When do you expect the equipment to arrive, so people know when to check in if you need more help? Good luck and congrats on not crashing, could've been bad.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I bet your chain had far too much slack when it came off, so I suggest you make certain that the slack is correct before you leave again (1 to 1.4").

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Hey Gregory, I was wondering about your adventures, glad you checked back in. I guess you made it out of the Canyon and across the water. I hope you'll do a full trip report at some point.
As far as places to be stranded, you could certainly do worse than Loreto and San Ignacio! But the chances of finding professional grade tools are not good. Fortunately, you should be able to do the job with your on-board tool kit, if you confine it to Chain and Rear sprocket. I'd leave the front, you've got a much better chance of making the situation worse if that goes wrong, and it has for many.
First, insure that your chain is a 520 and 114 link. If it's longer, you'll have to cut it. Nothing in the tool kit for that, you'll need to get ahold of a grinder.
Let's assume you have the right chain.
Pull the Cotter Pin.
Break the axle nut loose while the bike is on the sidestand and in gear.
Lift the bike by locking the front brake and propping under frame opposite the sidestand. Many have lifted by the muffler with no harm.
Remove the brake caliper and chain guard.
Remove the axle bolt, keep it clean.
Place the wheel in a manner that supports it while keeping pressure off the disc.
Insure that the bolt pattern of the new rear sprocket matches up, then replace the sprocket, tooth marking out.
Grease the axle bolt, Reinstall the wheel.
Move the chain adjusters fully forward.
Install the chain, follow instructions for your link.
Adjust the chain.
Tighten the axle nut.
Reinstall the caliper, force the pads apart to make this easier.
Pump up the brakes.
Take the bike off the prop, then really crank on the axle bolt and put in the cotter pin.
Good luck and good journeys.

Rob
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
try not to take the front sprocket off if you dont have a impact wrench.

just change the chain and back sprocket and set chain to correct slack.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Tincrow, if you don't have the right tools, or you're feeling overwhelmed by the task at hand, you might try talking to locals as well as people passing through town. Somebody with a pickup truck with room in the back might take you, (for a fee/maybe $50 US), north to Guerrero Negro or south to Sta. Rosalia where you should find someone with the tools and skills necessary to accomplish the work.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like my best bet is change the back sprocket and chain. I have had a hard time finding tools. I hope the chain is the right one. Ill have to wait 2 more days to find out.
Yes the chain came off probably due to being loose. Ive tightened it three times on this trip and should have tightened it again before I left that morning. I seem to learn the hard way. I am in one peice and this trip has beat me up a bit. I am definatley loving this but its been tough in a few spots.
Ill be updating when i get home with a full trip report and hopefully ill make it back with all these amazing pictures.
Thanks for your help ill chime in as soon as I get my parts. Gregory
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM

Hope all is fine and you get to go home soon to post those pics

When you say the chain came off, did you mean the chain broke off?

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Were the sprockets damaged? If not I would just replace the chain. It is fairly easy if it is the right length and you have a clip-on master link. It is better if you use a pressed on master link, but if you are short on tools a clip-on should work fine. If you have to change the front sprocket you might be in trouble. The nut can be a bitch to get off, especially if your chain is off. I had to brace my rear wheel with a 2x4 and use a 30" breaker bar to get mine off. It would be hard for the chain to damage the front sprocket that much, so I bet your front sprocket can wait.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode