EFI Light on then off seems fine now? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
EFI Light on then off seems fine now?

So I'm on a trip down south and stopped at a back woods gas station late last night and filled up. Bike has been running great but this morning when I started her up (pretty cold and lots of moisture in the air) it seemed to be idling slow. When I pulled out onto the road I got a EFI warning light and then the engine started to race. Light was solid on no blinking. I blipped the throttle and it stopped but moments later it raced up to about 6000 or 7000 rpm's and I shut it down. EFI light was on the entire time. I pulled over let it sit for a moment and fired it back up and no more problems. I stopped a little later
and added a little stabilizer to the fuel I may have gotten a little H2O in my back woods fill up? I'm now 150 miles into the day and it seems to be fine Ive stopped 4 or 5 times and shut it down and fired it back up no problems. Thoughts anyone?

After thinking this through it cant be water in the fuel because water in gas manifests by misfires, stalls or hard to start along with very poor low speed performance, so I doubt it is water. So back to EFI light and high revs which needs air and fuel. Mostly air though. The bike is a regular throttle cable and a butterfly. So, only a massive air leak or me holding the throttle open can do that. Right? The only leaks that can occur are if the throttle body is loose in the manifold, a crack in the manifold or a cracked vacuum line. All of which can 'come and go' I guess. A massive vacuum leak combine with a shut throttle tells the ECU something is amiss and you can get the EFI light. OK so now it seems to be fine? This really has me scratching my head and if the bike seems fine, chalk it up to gremlins and forget about it or is something coming my way that’s not good. Ill check my phone as I travel north and Im also going to now get off the back roads and hit the super slab so if something goes wrong I can be in a place to get better help.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 01-26-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Suggest checking the EFI fault codes which should still be stored in memory. Invader is a great source for this guidance. Look at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=EFI+codes

Or, just hurry on home.....
Good Luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Im just in to Charlotte NC stopping for a bite to eat. Its running fine so Im going to make the run for home non stop to northern VA and just stop in the shop over the weekend and get them to pull the error code and see whats up. Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:03 PM

I had the same thing happen when I was in Colorado. The FI light would come on when I was stopped but then go out when I was moving. When I got back to Dallas, I was cleaning the bike and it was at idle for about 5 minutes I heard a "gurgling" and I realized the fan wasn't running and the light came on. If I would ride it and get air over the radiator, it was ok but when I would stop it would over heat again.

I'd check the fan to be sure. The fan is about $450.00 from Kawasaki, but I got a '10 model off ebay for $70.00.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's your subthrottle valve actuator acting up. It's opening the throttle just like during warmups. You'll probably have code 62 and/or 32... Was it cold outside?

32: Subthrottle sensor

62: Subthrottle valve actuator (sensor in range but not responding)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks invader.....I just pulled in and sat down was glad to see you posted up.

Yes it was cold and rainy. Whats the fix or is it just a glitch and move on? The bike ran great as always on the way home today. Ive got another short trip tomorrow but its supposed to be warm. I will most likely take the cage and take the bike over to the shop and get them to download the data on Saturday.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is yours a 2008? How many miles on it? You can retreive your code(s) by grounding the self-diagnostis terminal... To recover codes set in memory (Diagnostic Mode 2); KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session. The codes will readout exactly as in Mode 1.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Its a 09 52000 miles.

I take it you mean the readouts will appear on the speedo?

I started it this morning same conditions as yesterday and no FI light.

Any guess to what the fix will be or if there is a fix at all?

Last edited by douglasgraham; 01-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode