Dead Battery . . . . - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Dead Battery . . . .

Hey everybody. I have had a V for about 7 months and have used a Black and Decker battery float chager. Well after have a few difficult starts and a jump by a "security" guard. I felt it was time to replace my battery. Has any one else had to replace there battery yet. I purchased a Johnson Controls AGM (absorbed Glass material) battery from Wolly world. I hope it last longer than the original did. I guess if I did anything wrong it may have been that I used the 2AMP setting instead of the 1 AMP setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The Johnson Controls AGM battery should be pretty good. How many CCA's does it rate at compared to OEM? They also make 'Energizer' (Wal-Mart) automotive and powersports batteries which are very durable in my car...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

New Battery

Well the new battery is awesome. Starts way faster and stronger than the original. Keeping a good charge on it seems to be the key. Any suggestions on a good motorcycle charger anyone?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 AM

Battery Tender...you can get them at just about any bike shop. I got mine at Cycle Gear for abot $60...they had a smaller one for $40.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:27 AM

I use one of these from Harborfreight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

Price is right and I have checked & confirmed the output on it. Plus, I leave it on my wife's 04 BMW car when we leave home for 3 months every winter and her battery is perfect when we get back.

Question, if you are only leaving your bike for a few days or even a few weeks you shouldn't need one.

As a rule of thumb and very rough guide, a battery will loose about 1% of its charge per day, so in about 3 months you could expect a dead battery. Unless you are turning a very high compression engine, in cold weather, your V batter should be OK for at least a month. I had an issue with a battery on my Valkyrie, it would turn the starter motor, but didn't have enough juice left to fire it up.

Machog
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM

I seem to be having a battery issue too.

I last rode two days ago with no problems (I generally ride 4-5 days a week). I don't have any electrical accessories. And it's been pretty warm the last few days.

However, I had a low battery this morning. The bike barely started, and I decided to take the cage to work. :-(

The bike/battery is less than a year old... I find it hard to believe the battery would be bad. Anyone else had problems?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Remove the red and black plastic terminal covers on the battery and make sure the leads are both really tight with no corrosion. A loose ground can cause a battery to not properly charge.

If you have a voltmeter;
ignition off battery should be about 12.6v
at idle, over 13.0v
normal running around 14.3v.

It would be unusual for a sealed battery to go TU in under a year. Versys has an excellent charging system,

24 amps & 14 volts @ 5000 rpm. 24 x 14 = 336 Watts Watts / Volts = Amps Amps x Volts = Watts.

I run a Gerbing heated jacket 75watts + gloves 30watts + GPS24watts = 129total. I stuck a small volt meter on the bike. My KLR had a crap charging system and running heated gear at 100% would actually discharge the battery!

Machog
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Machog - how many amps are you drawing when the bike is running and all of your electrical gadgets are running.

I have a Kissen Charge Guard that shows the Amps, Volts, Outside Temp in C/F. My amps with my Tourmaster Heated Jacket liner and Running Lights - I draw between 10 and 20 amps according to the meter.

Just curious as to what your meter is displaying?

My bike never needs charging when I get back and seems to be running fine with this load. My BMW F650Cs always gladly accepted a charge when I got back from a ride and I had no electrical gadgets beyond the standard. I have to say, the Versys electrical system is a lot better!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 PM

I bought my V back in February and now have 12,165 miles on it. I've never had any problem with the bike starting except when it was really cold. When it was in the 10's to 20's it would start hard but it would start. It was close to not starting though when it was that cold. This Winter I think I'm going to bring it inside and put it in one of my spare bedrooms.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Just curious as to what your meter is displaying
It only shows volts.

As you know if you divide watts by volts you get amps.

129watts (heated gear at 100% + gps) + 80watts (engine/lights etc) = 209 total watts. divided by 14.0volts = 15amps.

So, I'm going with 15-do I win something??? With heated gear at 50% it would be around 9amps, I hardly ever run it at 100%, gets too hot.

With gps only, down to around 7amps.

Versys with 24amps & 14 volts = 335watts, has a huge reserve, you could add auxiliary lights and small fridge without issue.

Machog
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 PM

I just did the math and my ampmeter is working correctly. My GPS is a Garmin 60Csx Trail model - it doesn't draw much power at all. The fuse on it is only 1.5 amps.

The two big items are the jacket and the accessory lights. 70 watts each - 140 watts/12 gives me about 11 amps. I've seen my ampmeter fluctuate from 3-4 up to a maximum of 20 amps when everything is running. Must be charge cycles or something. But, none of my lights are dim and my jacket is quite warm even on low.

Thanks for the help.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Remove the red and black plastic terminal covers on the battery and make sure the leads are both really tight with no corrosion. A loose ground can cause a battery to not properly charge.

If you have a voltmeter;
ignition off battery should be about 12.6v
at idle, over 13.0v
normal running around 14.3v.

It would be unusual for a sealed battery to go TU in under a year. Versys has an excellent charging system,

Machog
When off, my voltage read about 11.5. I managed to start it once more and the voltage was about 10.5. After shutting down, it was too weak to start...

I'm guessing my alternator has croaked.

It's under warranty. I guess I'll charge the battery and hope it has enough spark to get me to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode