Type of Coolant - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Type of Coolant

What type of coolant do you guys use? I looked at the manual but it did not specify a type. Are they all the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Regular antifreeze like you use for a car should be fine. Start with 50/50 mix, adjust for your local temperature ranges.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 PM

I use antifreeze containing no silicate. It is my understanding this will prolong the life of the water pump.

On all water cooled bikes I service the cooling system every 2 years with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 01-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Any idea if the bike comes with coolant supplied by the factory, or if it's whatever the dealer chooses? My bike came with some dark green stuff that had floaties in the overflow tank, so I swapped it out with the usual yellow 50/50. Never seen antifreeze that color before...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM

Agreed on NO SILICATES for Japanese cooling systems. Use any Japanese automotive coolant like Toyota long life, or the super long life Toyota coolants with Organic Acids (OAT) as corrosion inhibitors.

Mine is Green, with white stuff at the bottom of the expansion tank. (What are they?) Manual says to change every 3 years, which indicates that the factory filled coolant is possibly a OAT type.

Normal coolants, change every year or 12k km. Long life, every 2 years or 24k km. I had a Toyota Long life that i stretched to 3 years in my car, and the result is regrettable.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM

A recent video clip at Jay Leno's Garage talks about a waterless engine coolant that will last the life of the engine. The boiling point is over 300degF, no chemical breakdown, no corrosion.

Very informative piece...
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...ngine-coolant/
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 PM

in our race bikes.. m109r we use waterwetter premixed fluid they come in like a half gallon size i believe. good stuff!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Good info. Thanks!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Mine is Green, with white stuff at the bottom of the expansion tank. (What are they?) Manual says to change every 3 years, which indicates that the factory filled coolant is possibly a OAT type.
This is what mine had in it, only the white stuff was coating the whole thing like a slime up to the water level. It looked almost like an algae, so I dumped it. Took some water and rice and a lot of shaking to get the gunk off the walls of the tank... can only imagine whats sitting in my hoses and radiator..
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
This is what mine had in it, only the white stuff was coating the whole thing like a slime up to the water level. It looked almost like an algae, so I dumped it. Took some water and rice and a lot of shaking to get the gunk off the walls of the tank... can only imagine whats sitting in my hoses and radiator..
The white stuff looks like some kind of solid precipitation, it doesn't coat the walls, just moves when I shake the tank.

On non-standard cooling liquids like Motul MoCool and Engine Ice, I've got reports that they don't perform for long periods of time (the high cooling performance). I suppose they are meant for track use and once the race is over, the fluids are replaced. Around 500km for the MoCool on my friend's KTM.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Evans waterless coolant: Evans Waterless Coolant
http://www.evanscooling.com/products...tes-2/dealers/

AMSOIL Dominator® Coolant Boost: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rdcb.aspx

I replaced my original green coolant with Motul's Motocool Factory Line. It's a 1 liter pre-mixed bottle, and I added a bit of distilled water to have it at reservoir's lower line. I'd get a 1.89 liter bottle of Maxima's Coolanol next time.

http://www.motul.fr/ca/en-us/product...[range]=21

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...ghdjqrlqqc9531

I upgraded my thermostat to a custom fitted Stant Superstat, and cleaned out the flaking engine paint overspray behind thermostat and behind water pump, cleaned and greased the pump seals, filled with distilled water and rinsed out while checking for leaks before refilling with new coolant. I did have to replace the thermostat cover's O-ring which had shrunk and hardened.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=14524
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Thought I'd revisit this thread since I followed my own suggestion. Namely, I switched my coolant to Evans Waterless Engine Coolant. While I never heard of this product before last month, much has been written about its pro's and con's in ADVrider since '05.

Anyway, what I did was first drain out the V's anti-freeze. Next I removed the overflow container. I bought a gallon of EWEC's NPG+ for about $32 and since the V's cooling system capacity is a little over a quart I filled the system to just over 3/4 full with NPG+ and ran the engine until I could feel heat over the entire radiator. Next I drained the system again and filled it to the top with fresh NPG+. I then cut and rerouted the overflow tube from the now gone overflow container directly to the radiator filler neck.

I did the switch out last weekend, and have ridden all week to and from work, that's about 350 miles total. There hasn't been any issues with the change over. Two thirds of my commute is freeway and I'll cruise at 70mph when possible and often hit higher speeds in bursts. The weather has been mild, highs in the upper 60s (F), still it seems odd to be able to squeeze the radiator hoses and feel no pressure at all and then to remove the cap without any hint of pressure release and then just see the coolant sitting there in this hot radiator, all this immediately after completing a 35 mile leg on my daily ride.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the update!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 PM

I was wondering how much coolant does the versys hold?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
About 1.2 liter (lower line) to 1.4 liter (upper line).
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakson View Post
Thought I'd revisit this thread since I followed my own suggestion. Namely, I switched my coolant to Evans Waterless Engine Coolant. While I never heard of this product before last month, much has been written about its pro's and con's in ADVrider since '05.

Anyway, what I did was first drain out the V's anti-freeze. Next I removed the overflow container. I bought a gallon of EWEC's NPG+ for about $32 and since the V's cooling system capacity is a little over a quart I filled the system to just over 3/4 full with NPG+ and ran the engine until I could feel heat over the entire radiator. Next I drained the system again and filled it to the top with fresh NPG+. I then cut and rerouted the overflow tube from the now gone overflow container directly to the radiator filler neck.

I did the switch out last weekend, and have ridden all week to and from work, that's about 350 miles total. There hasn't been any issues with the change over. Two thirds of my commute is freeway and I'll cruise at 70mph when possible and often hit higher speeds in bursts. The weather has been mild, highs in the upper 60s (F), still it seems odd to be able to squeeze the radiator hoses and feel no pressure at all and then to remove the cap without any hint of pressure release and then just see the coolant sitting there in this hot radiator, all this immediately after completing a 35 mile leg on my daily ride.
Did you remove the plastic overflow on r side of the tank completely?
Also did you use the waterless prep solution they say to use on the Evans site. It sounds like a gallon jug of Evans was enough to flush system once and fill it after
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Yes, I completely removed the plastic overflow tank. There is little chance the coolant is going to boil over, and I'm allowing some space inside the radiator for expansion. If I remember right EWEC will expand about 7% when heated.

No, I just used the NPG+ for both flushing and refilling. I still have about a 1/3 gallon left.
The prep solution costs nearly the same as the NPG+ and since every thing only comes in gallons I felt I didn't need all the extra chemicals. Also I read afterwards you can simply use a regular full strength anti-freeze to flush out the leftover water/anti-freeze before filling with EWEC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode