*emergency* question about busted bottom engine - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
*emergency* question about busted bottom engine

today I came off a higher (than I thought) curb and my exhaust bottomed out on the curb. The two brothers exhaust VALE system stayed intact with just a minor dent on the pipe, but the bolt that tightens the exhaust to the header seems to have popped open some sort of plug and oil came gushing out all over the road.

I am fine, the bike is fine. Sea horse cases and sw motech rack took the super slow-mo fall just fine! I just wanna know what this is?? It is somewhat at the back near where you let the engine oil drain out of. It looks like a halfdollar size metal chuck/coin that has been dislodged. It does not look like anything actually cracked.

I need to know what this "plug" is so that I can assess the damage and decide if it is something I can just fix myself or if its something catastrophic that I need to call the insurance about and get it taken to a dealership. I honestly think the bolt was not supposed to be on "top" of the pipe which is what caused it to hit that specific part of the engine.

Lemme know if you guys have any ideas...

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

if you have a stock exhaust this part of the engine is probably going to be hard to see BTW

1997 KLR 650

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Sorry for your mishap BAMF. Glad you're not hurt. I'm at work and don't have access to my bike, but I suggest checking your owners manual. I think I know what part your talking about. The first time I changed my oil on the V, I mistakenly thought it was the drain plug. If you need replacement of the part, Bike Bandit has very good schematics to find what you need. Good luck.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Don't know what to tell you except good luck! Can you take quick picture for one of the experts to have an idea where it is?

I almost had the same thing happen when I went off a curb in front of the GF...standing up on pegs, picking my line, scrapping the exhaust.....

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

good idea about the schematic on bike bandit...that might be the key!

okay I looked it up, and i think it is here http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...20269sch706759

and the number is 92066B... it is just a plug...i think it is catagorized by "freeze plug"

1997 KLR 650

Last edited by BAMF; 01-10-2012 at 01:24 PM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Freeze plug is what I was going to say it probably is..

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

so... is this a matter of just pressing it back in?

1997 KLR 650

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
MTS

Soryy about that BAMF! I'm not sure you might have to call Kawi service! I'll be watching to see how that is fixed?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

got it up on the stand at home, it is NOT the freeze plug. It is an oddly uniform hole punched out of my oil pan by the two brothers vale tension strap thingy. So I will be looking for the best deal on the OEM oil pan for the 2011 kawasaki versys.

1997 KLR 650

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Oh Bummer!
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I know others are thinking this, "What were you doing riding on the sidewalk?".
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

lol wasn't riding on the sidewalk, there are tons of places to park your bike in philly that are on sidewalks and up against buildings. I was simply pulling out of one of those.

Bike bandit gave me a new oil pan for about $95.

So the important news is to make sure if you have a slip on exhaust, make sure the bolt to the tension ring/strap that fastens your slip on to the header IS NOT on top. This is what caused my damage. Amazingly, the exhaust was hardly dented but was able to punch a hole in the oil pan.

1997 KLR 650

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM

The part says 25X5, probably 25mm diameter plug x 5mm thick. It is not threaded and probably pressed fit to seal up the hole that was meant to do something of which only Kawa designers know about.

If you know of a machine shop, they maybe able to help to press fit that thing back. I've seen such process being done. The bore part is heated up while the plug is frozen up. Parts are brought together and hammered. It takes a great deal of energy to pop it up open, so chances is that the engine part has a localized warpage near the plug hole.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Don't forget, the plug is still inside the engine. Not good.
If that plug is part of the oil pan and not the lower case, make sure the plug comes installed if you buy a new pan (provided the pan itself is not damaged). If not, just buy a new plug. You will have to take the pan off to remove the old plug from the engine anyway. Before you buy anything, give it a good look-see first. Don't forget gaskets. Good luck and keep us informed.

Last edited by blipco; 01-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As BAMF mentioned, it's not the crankcase plug after all. He punched a hole in his cast aluminum oil pan... Freeze plugs are for coolant, by the way.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...l+pan&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

More oil pans! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

Last edited by invader; 01-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
•Replace the oil pan gasket with a new one.
•When installing the oil pan, align the damper on the breather pipe with the hollow on the oil pan.
•Tighten:
Torque - Oil Pan Bolts: 12 Nm (1.2 kgfm, 106 inlb) [8.83 ftlb]

Oil pan gasket # 11061-0167 Retail $9.84, $6.84 from: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...010&fveh=38807

Last edited by invader; 01-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

omg invader if you were a woman I would kiss you in the MOUTH!

They were having to backorder from thailand so i was going to have to go without my V for TWO FRIGGIN WEEKS! that is unacceptable because I ride year round, bout 2500 miles per month.

yea so a note to all V users with a slip on exhaust. DO NOT have the bolt for the tension mechanism on top, because it will puncture the engine if you bottom out.

*its a good thing I caught this because I will have to make sure I have the SW Motech engine skip plate thing, and I might have to modify it to extend further down the crankcase. I do plan on fully using this motorcycle and a curb is not going to be what brings me down.

once again, THANK YOU INVADER

1997 KLR 650

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
BAMF - DON'T throw the old oil pan away! Take it to a welder and get it fixed, then either have it as a spare, or see who else needs one.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Been there, done that, have the t shirt. look left of the hose...........

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
BAMF - DON'T throw the old oil pan away! Take it to a welder and get it fixed, then either have it as a spare, or see who else needs one.
I think it is past the point of easy repair, but I will see what can be done. Is our engine aluminum or that crappy aluminum "pot metal" that older asian bikes were made of? That could make the difference.

1997 KLR 650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode