Skip shifting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Skip shifting

I ride a lot on twisty back roads ( dirt and pavement) and have a tendency to come up quickly on stop signs. I find my self skip shifting down from the upper gears ( holding the clutch in and going through 2 -3 gears with out letting out the clutch while decelerating). I have heard that this may be hard an the transmission that you are supposed to engage the tranny on every gear as you go through it. Anybody have an informed answer on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
NEVER been a problem for me!

Ed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:59 PM

I hope it isn't a problem! I do it all the time. Use the brakes to stop and downshift as I roll up to the stop.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:14 PM

won't harm anything, but it is usually easier when your rolling as opposed to stopped.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:50 PM

Exactly...I always try to get into 1st before I stop.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 PM

This has been gone over on the site in the past. A few guys, myself included have found that if you stop in say, 5th, the bike can be hard to get back down to 1. Letting the clutch out a tad helps. When I first got the bike it was a real pain, but I've mostly gotten used to it. The transmission is one spot where the Versys could improve. Some folks say it's due to the Kawasaki positive N finder.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Sequential transmission

What I am thinking is not so much whether it is difficult, but that in a sequential transmission I have heard that to reduce wear the gears should be gone through in order to make everything mate smoothly ( clutched,shifted, gears engaged, clutched etc.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

This is what mean

I have read things like this..........

Topic: Motorcycle Safety & Driveability

Expert: William Roberson
Date: 7/5/2004
Subject: Down shifting

Question
Hi William:
I own a 2002 kawasaki vulcan 800. I was wondering
if there is less wear on the clutch if you skip
the down shifting when coming to a red light? I
understand the brakes will wear out quicker but
replacing the pads or shoes is much cheaper than
the clutch. So is it better to pull the clutch
lever in and hold it in while down shifting to
1st gear while coming to a stop?

Answer
John,

Thanks for the question.

The short answer here is “yes, there is going to be less wear on the clutch if you do not downshift.” But in all reality, the amount of wear saved is going to be very small, and correct downshifting technique is important to learn. Modern motorcycle clutches (especially on heavy bikes like cruisers) are built tough and engineered for some slippage.

Unless you are slipping the clutch an enormous amount on each downshift (like a racebike might see on a track), the wear from typical downshifting is very small. Also, many bikes won't let you (or don't like) being downshifted many gears at once with the clutch in. In truth, you run a small risk of damaging your transmission doing multiple downshifts (say, from 4th to 1st) without letting the clutch and gears engage at some point along the way. Again, a small risk, but one easily avoided.

The best possible solution is to downshift “correctly”. When I downshift, I “blip” the throttle so that the engine rpm matches the wheel speed in the lower gear. Then when the clutch is engaged, there is a minimal amount of slippage (and wear). Engine braking then slows the bike without clutch slippage. It's hard to teach someone how to “blip” an engine correctly. It's really a “feel” type of thing that comes with experience. Some people can do it instinctively, some people can't do it at all. I'd give it a try if you are not doing it already.

The clutch in your 800 Vulcan does not need to be babied very much. If you are keeping the oil changed and not abusing the clutch, it should not need any replacement parts until it is over 30,000 miles. Knowing how to slip the clutch (when needed) and use your brakes effectively are important skills in their own right. I would not worry about clutch slippage on your Vulcan, and do keep an eye on those brake pad levels as the miles add up.

Ride smart, have fun,

Bill Roberson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode