Abnormal Tire Wear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Abnormal Tire Wear?

Hi all.

I've had the bike since March (a 2009 Versys) and only have about 3500 miles on it and the front tire is almost shot. The rear tire seems to have a lot of tread left. I'm kinda OCD about the bike so I'm going to replace the tires as a set, but I was wondering why the front is wearing so quickly. I mostly do commuting, some spirited weekend riding (no knee dragging on the street here) and a yearly trip to Laguna from LA.

I have a feeling it has to do with suspension settings, as I've never "properly" set it up. I basically dialed in some extra preload from factory for my hefty 200ish lbs and played with the rebound damping until it felt good. Could my suspension be so outta whack that it's wearing the front tire out prematurely? I don't want to put a nice set of sport touring tires on there only to have the same problem in 6mos. I've attached some pics to help diagnose the problem. The last three pics are of the rear tire (to show the difference in wear). Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1249.jpg (31.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1250.jpg (42.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1251.jpg (27.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1252.jpg (31.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1253.jpg (37.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1254.jpg (30.3 KB, 88 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
What psi were you running in your tires?

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

32 up front, 36 in the rear....which I think is manufacturer recommendation...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Garage
When i got my 09. The service guy told me to run 36psi front and 36psi rear. Replaced my tires after 7500 miles because i didn't like the stock tires. The rear had lots of life left and the front hardly looked used at all. I drove highway city. Went from ft.worth texas to los angeles in may heavely loaded down and i weight 270lbs before gear.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Garage
Also the service guy told me not to touch the suspension until i put a 1000 miles on the bike.It was good advice at first seemed way to stiff. Now it something i don't even think about touching.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Do remember that front tyres (spelt properly) come with only about ~4.5 mm of tread to start off with, and the rears with ~6mm. So do not compare wear rates at the front with the back.

The front still looks OK / worn evenly due to as you say 'spirited driving'

More info on Tyre Pressures - http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=12278

Richard

at

Last edited by TowerMan; 12-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
MTS

Gitar be careful those stock tires can be a little slippery, and in the rain. They are kind of a chaulky tire. I am trying to wear them out so I can change mine also. Just watch those tires they are not the best!

Low air presure my wear a tire out, this is true. Turning the wheel with little or no forward movement will also wear the front tire. Example of that is parking it in a tight place where you have to turn the wheel back and forth. The faster you change the stock ones out the better! IMO

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I know, the stockers suck! I want to get rid of them but I also don't want to wear out another front in 3500 miles. I think I need to put in some heavier forks to carry my 200lbs ass around...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Heavy braking also can cause more rapid tyre (sic) wear, as can abrasive road surfaces, but as Towerman said it doesn't look to me like the tyres are behaving unusually. Personally, I'd say your tyre pressures are spot on, as too much air can result in less grip. The main issue I had with the stockers was they were slow to warm up, so on shorter trips they could be a little sketchy. Over-inflating would exacerbate that problem. Good sport-touring rubber makes a huge difference on this bike. You're in for a treat when it's time.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM

suspension set up will have an effect. get it set up, should have been the first thig you did, dont listen to anyone that tells you to wait, get it done and recheck it after 1000 miles and just check it now and then.
Now go get New set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail

Last edited by Nytrydr; 12-27-2011 at 06:02 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarjunky View Post
Hi all.

I've had the bike since March (a 2009 Versys) and only have about 3500 miles on it and the front tire is almost shot.
Those tires look like they still have plenty of life in them. The only thing I see is it appears you may be babying the bike on right turns, and taking lefts at higher speed/lean. That's why the dirt patch is so off-center. Unless the handling is squirrely at speed, or you get headshake, I wouldn't say there's anything mechanically wrong with the front.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Those tires look like they still have plenty of life in them. The only thing I see is it appears you may be babying the bike on right turns, and taking lefts at higher speed/lean. That's why the dirt patch is so off-center. Unless the handling is squirrely at speed, or you get headshake, I wouldn't say there's anything mechanically wrong with the front.
I think the dirt is fresh just from pulling in, turning to the left and parking it. not do to his riding habits.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Your tire wear looks normal to me. As for changing out your OEM tires because they're crap... I took an advanced riding course in winter '08-'09 while still wearing the OEM Dunlops, and managed to drag footpegs at least 7 times in the following few months, so, to me they're good tires. (Of course, I don't ride in rain here in AZ, but in BC on the Green Hornet - still on OEMs - I do.)

BTW, I'm presently wearing Continental ContiMotions (which I quite like) on the '08, with Tourances waiting as the next set.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 AM

DO NOT use pirelli angel tires. Just a warning. 2200 miles is all I got out of them, and they are @$$holes about warranty or replacement. They claim I was too aggressive with the bike . . .their exact words. Over the phone. Couldn't believe it.

IBA # 49372
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
Do remember that front tyres (spelt properly) . . . .

More info on Tyre Pressures - http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=12278

Richard
"Tyres - spelt properly." I love it!

As George Bernard Shaw once stated, "The British and Americans are two nations separated by a common language." Or words to that effect.

And I wonder - is there a really difference between aluminum and aluminium?

Lest you believe I'm being unkind, my ancestors came to "The Colonies" from the Scottish village of Kirk Cowan, by way of the Isle of Man.

Oh yes. Long live Ewan McTeagle, poet lauriate of Scotland, author of the immortal poem "What's Twenty Quid to the Bloody Midlands Bank?" .

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 AM

I have been happy with my Angels. When I had the installed the shop told to that I should run the rear at 42lbs and that seems to help them a lot.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 AM

Garage
I too am happy with my Angels - have added 10,000+ km and they are getting a little squared off but still lots of tread.

I will replace the rear partway through this summer (will buy at Western Powersport's 40% off sale at the start of the season) and expect the front will last x2 rears.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 06:46 PM

Here is my front tire at 6912 miles original tire

Back tire at 6912 miles original tire

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode