High Pitch Noise - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question High Pitch Noise

Hi All,

I have a 2007 Versys and since I have owned it it has made a high pitch squeeling noise that sounds like it is coming from the fuel pump, to the left of the tank.

It sounds like it could be some sort of electrical resonance or something and I as I rev the bike the pitch does change but is always there. I have had a few garages look at the bike including kawasaki but they cannot find any fault with the bike and or say everything is fine.

this noise if driving insane as i can hear it with ear plugs and helmut up to about 30mph.

has anyone had the same experience or know of the cause or what can be done to get rid of the noise.

Thanks in advance.

Otherwise I am loving the bike.
Barny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:11 AM

The high pitch squealing might be buzzing from the cowling that has been addressed in many threads on here. Do a search using buzzing. Here's one thread.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=buzzing

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I did also have some of the buzzing noise problems a while back around 3000 RPM. I had kawasaki put some rubber washers in the screen and this seems to have cleared up the problem.

The high pitch noise is still there however and I think it is a different issue.

I do have hot grips installed and I was wondering if that may have caused the problem. I did try and disconnect them but the noisewas still present, I may not have disconnected properly though.

Any ideas.......anyone........thanks.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 AM

i have the same sound and it's there even when standing stil just a couple of miles and it's of for the firts service will see what they say about this
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 AM

I heard that noise setting still too. Everytime I came to a light I thought someone with a squeky belt was following me.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 AM

fuel pump.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

or fuel venting from tank...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:29 PM

Its the fuel cap go run your bike for 5- 10 minutes and take your spare key and open the the fuel cap it'll stop right then

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I have tried these things but it still persists. Kawasaki have looked at it and can find no fault, but i defo think it is coming from the fuel pump. Should I insist they replace it under warranty?

Any other ideas or news would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 PM

The cooling fans emit some sounds, as does the fuel pump.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 09:08 AM

I have noticed after running the engine and then turning it off, that the fuel tank will either build up pressure or a vaccum (it's kind of hard to tell) but with the pressure difference there is a high pitch noise from the fuel cap and as sure as you open the cap the noise goings away.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The sound we all hear is the diode bridge (rectifier) that converts the AC voltage alternator output to the DC voltage that the bike needs to run on (as well as all vehicles on the road). Why it is so noticeable on this bike is that the stock exhaust at idle and low speeds is quiet. The change in pitch is directly related to the amount current draw on the alternator. This is perfectly normal and if you don't like the sound then then replace the stock can and you won't notice it anymore...maybe slightly at idle. The other sounds mentioned (fuel pump priming and tank venting) are heard before you crank up (fuel pump) and when you shut off in warm or hot weather (tank venting). Odd sounds are a normal part of any vehicle...the trick is learn the normal ones so when you hear something off normal you can do something about it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Very interesting BayouVersys. My high pitch noise does remain all the time, with fuel cap open etc and changes pitch as you rev the bike. I had always suspected that it may have been caused by some sort of electrical issue and thought it could have been done to incorrect Hot Grip wiring.

Can I ask, do you hear this noise all the time too?

Although it all seems normal and the bike has run fine for 11,000 miles my concern was more to do with resale and I wanted to get it fixed if it was an issue before the waranty was up.

Cheers
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:50 PM

high pitch squealing

I sometimes hear a high pitch noise around my bike also. This has happened with every motorcycle I own. Sometimes happens right when I come back from a ride; sometimes when I am just lovingly waxing it, or tinkering.

I have noticed that the sound goes away as soon as I get on my bike, start it, and drive at least a half-block away from my mother-in-law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry for the late reply Buffty, yes I do hear it only at idle. When I turn on my fork lights the pitch changes from the increased current draw. All seems normal
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM

my sound was coming from the cowling above the speedometer cluster, I folded adheasive tape pushed it in the gap...sound is gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode