your help needed,please- TPS isnt working - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
your help needed,please- TPS isnt working

Hi All
my V is on the garage due to mulfunction in the TPS,
they want 1000$ to replace it
can you please direct me to online store that have such part and have world wide shipment ?

im w/o my "legs" now , so any help will be much appritiated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What's wrong with it? What trouble code did you get? Is it for the main throttle sensor, subthrottle sensor, or the subthrottle valve actuator?

(throttle-bodies/rack assemblies including sensors and actuator):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkp...&_sop=15&_sc=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

invader ,10X for responding
i moved the subthrottle sensor slightly down ( i think -this is a maching image i found -http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/100/throttlesensors001.jpg/ )
since than i got the FI light on , and got no "auto chock" when starting cold
in the garage my mechanic said that the TPS is not working correctly and i need to order the full TPS kit with the Throttle Bodies. is it reasonable ?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

and if you think i have to get a new one, will the following one fit the V 2009 ?
http://goo.gl/09Bh6

many thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 01:06 PM

That would be a subthrottle actuator problem (code # 62).... You're showing the photo of the subthrottle sensor which is above the main throttle sensor. Did you adjust the main throttle sensor first? Subthrottle sensor affects your fast idle when engine is cold... Did you just loosen the screw enough to rotate subthrottle sensor counterclockwise, then turned it back in its original position?

Trouble codes:
11_______ Main throttle sensor
12_______ Inlet air pressure sensor
13_______ Inlet air temperature sensor
14_______ Water temperature sensor
21_______ Crankshaft sensor
24 & 25___Speed sensor (24 then 25, repeatedly)
31_______Vehicle-down sensor
32_______Subthrottle sensor
33_______Oxygen sensor inactive (Europe)
51_______Ignition Coil #1
52_______Ignition Coil #2
56_______Radiator Fan Relay
62_______Subthrottle valve actuator (sensor in range but not responding)
64_______Air switching valve
67_______Oxygen sensor heater (Europe)
94_______Oxygen sensor out-of-range
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

i did not touch the main throttle sensor at all, only the subthrottle sensor.
now i understand that i should have turn it back before i went to the mechanic (dang...)
the problem is that now i cannot check if it will solve the problem,because my mechanic took apart the swinging element (2 metallic circle in the Throttle Bodies )
he did it so i will be able to ride until i decide if i wonna buy the full TPS kit.
i am worry because he didnt connect any comp` to check the code.
maybe i should try another mechanic ?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Is the green reference mark on subthrottle sensor back in line in its original position now? Can you adjust it back and try it? The removed subthrottle plates are not needed, even for a normal fast idle.
If it's still not right, try disconnecting subthrottle sensor (upper black TPS), turn ignition on for at least 4 seconds, turn ignition off, reconnect subthrottle sensor and clear the codes again by disconnecting battery. Also make sure battery has a good charge. Reconnect battery and see what happens.

Last edited by invader; 12-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

ok
ill check it first thing in the morning.
thanks a lot , ill keep update
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is the green reference mark on subthrottle sensor back in line in its original position now? Can you adjust it back and try it? The removed subthrottle plates are not needed, even for a normal fast idle.
If it's still not right, try disconnecting subthrottle sensor (upper black TPS), turn ignition on for at least 4 seconds, turn ignition off, reconnect subthrottle sensor and clear the codes again by disconnecting battery. Also make sure battery has a good charge. Reconnect battery and see what happens.
Hi.Invader
i did the above, it still the same
the V is working ,but w/o chock in cols start ( i keep it manually a minute) and the FI is with amber light.
the green mark is in line as original.
any other issue ? should i just take it to other garage with the V computer to check the code ?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:45 AM

It's not a choke, but rather the subthrottle valve actuator servo shaft cam (visible on right side, close to idle adjustment screw) that opens the main throttle for a fast idle... So I guess your subthrrottle valve actuator is not cycling when you turn ignition on, as it can normally be heard rotating open and shut once before you start engine?
A few others have had an actuator failure before, which is only avalable with the complete throttle bodies assembly.

You can read your FI trouble code(s) youself. Under the seat, along the right sub-frame rail is an orange/black wire with a bullet connector. This is the self-diagnosis terminal. In order to read out the CURRENT Service Codes (MODE 1), ground that wire with the KEY ON. The FI light will begin to flash codes. There will be a 5 second delay and then the codes begin. The first flash is always a LONG (1 sec) followed by either LONG or SHORT (0.5 sec) flashes. LONG flashes indicate TENS and short flashes ONES. One LONG followed by two SHORT = 12. Two LONG, one SHORT = 21. Three LONG, two short = 32, etc. There is an interval of 1.5 seconds between TENS and ONES. There is a 3 second interval between codes.

To recover codes set in memory (MODE 2); KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session. The codes will readout exactly as in MODE 1.
To clear codes from the ECU, pull the clutch in for more than 5 seconds.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

happy end

HI
happy end, the other mechanic fix the froblem, he said that the "step sensor" that in carge of open/close more air, was out of sync.because i playd with the subthrottle sensor.
he wouldn`t let me look how he fixed it, (pro secret...)
no parts replaced !, now ,the FI it off ,but sometimes it light for a second whan reaching high speed (over 90M/H ) but i dont feel changes in the behaviour.so i don`t care so much...
Invader - very much for doing your best to assist, its good to have you here with the forum members

have a gr8 weekend
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM

The "step sensor" is actually the subthrottle sensor. Its function is to monitor subthrottle opening which also controls fast idle.

Since your FI lamp lit for a moment, there is a trouble code stored in memory. It likely is for the subthrottle valve actuator which may be on its way out. What's your mileage? Have you (or possibly previous owner) washed it with high pressure water, particularly above the throttle bodies on the right side?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 PM

what do you guys use to ground the self diagnosis terminal?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

i am with 25KKm.
i never washed it with high pressure ,maybe the first owner did, but if it was the problem i could see it from day one...
invader - what do you mean "It likely is for the subthrottle valve actuator which may be on its way out" ?
the FI lite only on high speeds in 5th\6th gear and over 6KRPM, and if i close the throttle slightly, the lite goes off.
the bike is running fine, so i am not so worried
but its annoying cause i paid 200$ for the fix.(which is better than 1K$ for replacing the complete throttle bodies assembly)
any ideas what can cause it or how to solve it ?
now i am afraid to even sneeze near the sensor... after the heartache i got when this problem starts...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Check your FI code stored in memory. It probably is code 62 for your subthrottle valve actuator. How is your cold fast idle now? Is your normal idle set to 1300 rpm?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

the cold start is ok
the idle after warming up is ~1200 rpm
can you please explain the meaning of "the subthrottle valve actuator which may be on its way out" from your previous note ?
10X
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 PM

I'm saying that your subthrottle valve actuator may be starting to fail.

Which part of the planet are you on?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

israel
english is not my thong language...

Last edited by katangilis; 12-31-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode