Radiator Fan - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Radiator Fan

Since I was replacing my alternator stator (see my other thread), I decided to go ahead and do a full service, including valves.

While I had everything off, I decided to seriously check out the radiator fan. In the 2+ years I've had my Versys, I have never heard the fan come on. When I was adjusting the valves last year, I noticed the radiator fan made a grinding noise when I spun it. At that time I decided ignorance is bliss, since I rarely drive in hot weather or in urban traffic.

But this time, knowing I was planning a cross country trip next year, I decided to check it out. I disconnected the lead and applied battery power to the fan. Nothing.

So, I went about taking it out and checking it out. I took the motor apart, and it didn't look so good inside. I figured it was done.

I priced new fans on various sites. Generally, $300-350. I went on ebay and found no Versys fans. So I looked for Ninja 650 fans. There were many ranging from $4 and up.

I looked at the various listings and deduced that from 2008 up, the Ninja 650 had the same fan as my Versys. 2007 and earlier had a fan with a larger motor.

I settled on a 2007 fan for $35. I figured that since my fan had failed, and there was a different design with a larger motor from earlier bikes, I'd give it a try. Besides, it was $20 cheaper than the cheapest newer-style fan.

I was concerned about any difference in fitment, but I discovered it was a direct bolt-up, connect-up replacement. The new (to me) fan had more reinforced brackets and was about 1/4 inch thicker. I suspect it was a little heavier, but I didn't weight them.

I can't speak about any year model other than my 2008 Versys, but this was a very successful transplant!

In the picture, the Ninja fan is on the left and the Versys fan is on the right.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2862.jpg (66.0 KB, 800 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Interesting observations.
My 2007 Versys fan and mount is just like your 2007 Ninja's on the left. It still works well too.
I've always had a rad guard, by the way.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Good info. Thanks.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 PM

seems like the versys's (right) has a wider blade compared to the 650r (left).

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode